Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,892 Posts
Not an uncommon noise for the Hemi, but I’ll stop short of saying it’s normal

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
You can try a conventional 5w-20 engine oil if you are currently running a synthetic. I’ve noticed the engine noises reduced with conventional vs synthetic for whatever reason.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm running whatever the factory installed. Car only has under 800 miles. Have you heard this sound before?

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Thanks. I'm running whatever the factory installed. Car only has under 800 miles. Have you heard this sound before?
It’s known as the Hemi tick, and most Hemis will have it eventually. It’s not necessarily a bad sound, but it can be a sign of something wrong.

You can take it into the dealership and have them diagnose under warranty, but don’t expect many real answers. They’ll likely say it’s normal, though I would love to know how they respond if told just because it happens to most Hemis doesn’t make it normal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. To me it sounds like a product of the exhaust that as the exhaust or heads change size due to thermal expansion, then it goes away. It did not make this sound on the dealership lot. It developed over a brief time.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hard to tell in videos (on my laptop) but to me that sounds excessive, and is most likely lifter noise/tick.

Hemis do have some normal tick (as do most pushrod V8s) but that sounds beyond normal/acceptable from what I can tell.

If it bothers you then def let your dealer have a listen to it.

Oh ps - I assume it goes away immediately with some rev's/higher oil pressure? I'm willing to bet it's a lifter struggling to hold pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Yeah, I too think it is a bit much especially after such short time. What's weird is (I've had old cars and lifter issues in the old days) this seems to disappear completely after 40 or so seconds after cold start. My experience with older push rod motors is bad lifters can tick regardless if they are warm. But, I will take your advice and have the dealer take a look.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I too think it is a bit much especially after such short time. What's weird is (I've had old cars and lifter issues in the old days) this seems to disappear completely after 40 or so seconds after cold start. My experience with older push rod motors is bad lifters can tick regardless if they are warm. But, I will take your advice and have the dealer take a look.
It may be sticking and/or needs some time to build pressure. For sure have the dealer look at, and if they can't duplicate it, show them the vid. A decent tech (not a service advisor) should be able to help you out, although they do need to duplicate the concern for warranty repair. If they need to let it sit overnight let them do so in order to get you a good repair. A new lifter going bad is uncommon but certainly not unheard of.

Let us know how it goes w/the dealer visit, g'luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I‘ve got a Hellcat and two Hemi’s in the driveway and they all like to rattle a bit. My Hellcat sounds like yours if I’m forced to put low octane fuel in it from a ho-dunk town that thinks 87 is premium. What octane of fuel are you burning?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
So i posted this in a different thread, with little response. Trying to get some feedback as to if this sound is normal or not. Please see videos and provide feedback if this is normal or if I should be concerned. Car has less than 800 miles since new.

https://flic.kr/p/2i9VzpJ
https://flic.kr/p/2i9UrF8
Not an expert by any stretch but I don't really hear anything that sounds "scary".

But I could be wrong. So, if the noise bothers you get the car in and arrange to demo the noise and get a professional mechanic's opinion. If you hear "They all do that" ask for a similar new model of car's engine be started and this "they all do that" demonstrated.

While not called for by the factory my advice would be to change the oil and filter "early". 800 miles is not that soon for a new engine to have its oil/filer changed though granted no automaker calls for this. (Sales/marketing dictate engine servicing as much as engineering, unfortunately.)

A new engine sheds trash. While the filter catches this if there is a high pressure filter bypass valve this can open under certain operating conditions and circulate unfiltered oil through the engine. If you think this is ok remove the filter and dump its oil contents out in a clean drain pan and admire the metal debris in the oil.

Even if the metal debris is absent the engine still heavily contaminates the oil during its first few K miles, during break in. This is especially bad in cold weather. Contamination includes water which lowers the oil's viscosity and this can exacerbate ticking. The only way to remove the contamination is to drain the old oil and replace it with fresh oil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I‘ve got a Hellcat and two Hemi’s in the driveway and they all like to rattle a bit. My Hellcat sounds like yours if I’m forced to put low octane fuel in it from a ho-dunk town that thinks 87 is premium. What octane of fuel are you burning?
I only run 93. It seems to only do this when its first started and goes away like clockwork after about 40 or so seconds. It is so consistent that as others have suggested the dealer needs to hear it and they should have no issue duplicating it. I dont think it is knock from low octane as I never hear anything while driving or under acceleration. I've heard knock before so I know what to listen for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like a minor leak at the exhaust manifold...take it to the dealership, ask them to park it on a lift over night and check it on cold start...Get it documented so that if it gets worse, you'll have a record of having reported the problem. Good luck...

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
517 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts