Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did you ever get it checked out?
Not yet. Planning to take it in when I get the first service. Since the sound goes away upon 20 second warm up, I am not extremely alarmed. Like within the next week or two I will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. To me it sounds like a product of the exhaust that as the exhaust or heads change size due to thermal expansion, then it goes away. It did not make this sound on the dealership lot. It developed over a brief time.
Take it back I had the hemi tick on my widebody 392 and I too thought it was normal until it sounded like two Gorillaz wrestling in my engine a month later I had to get a new engine bought it with 8 miles at 2500 it was rip take it in and let them check it out asap. Hope this helps. Sounds like a beast by the way your car.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,265 Posts
I am with turbotato to me it sounds more like an exhaust leak and not a lifter. As the exhaust system gets hot and metal expands it can cause the leak to close up. Generally exhaust leaks leave carbon build-up where they leak so an visual inspection can help identify.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah, I think so too, but I'll call them tomorrow anyways and take it in. It's kinda embarrassing as it's a brand new car.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,265 Posts
I would say embarrassing would be if you called roadside assistance only to find out you ran out of gas. But if I bought a new car and it made strange noises or died on the side of the road I would be pissed...not embarrassed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I first put on my JBA shorties, I had the same sound and it got quieter after warmup. I had to reseal the collector to exhaust connection and it is silent now.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If you’re up for a little self diagnosing you can take a long fairly big screwdriver and put it to your ear to pinpoint the noise....I would venture to guess starting at the valve covers

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,211 Posts
Thanks. I'm running whatever the factory installed. Car only has under 800 miles. Have you heard this sound before?
On a new car I would have changed the oil at 500 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
When I first put on my JBA shorties, I had the same sound and it got quieter after warmup. I had to reseal the collector to exhaust connection and it is silent now.
I've been wrenching cars for over 28 years. That is exactly what it sounds like. Nonetheless, the dealer will advise.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts