Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I hop in the car "Key Fob Not Detected"
I figure it's a fluke, take out the fob out of my jacket pocket and it starts right up - Great

A couple of days later, same problem, happening a couple of times a day
Next few days nothing .

This has been going on with no apparent pattern. I can hit the button to unlock or lock the car with no problems or pop the trunk , battery seems fine .

That's when I noticed that the issue only seems to happen when I have the fob in the same pocket as my iPhone .

I figure that i must be a bit crazy, so I just take out the fob and place it directly on my iphone in the center console - "Key fob not detected"
I move the phone away - car starts right up

I put the phone and fob in the same pocket - "Key fob not detected"
Move the phone away - bingo

I place the fob and phone right next to each other "Key fob not detected"
Move them a couple of inches apart - car starts

Being a network engineer I know a bit about phone/wifi/cellular frequencies
US voice operates at about 850MHZ
Wifi is over 2GHZ
Bluetooth is the same at 2400Mhz or so

It appears that car fobs (at least according to what I saw online) operate at a much lower frequency range, anywhere between 200 to 350Mhz.

So I have no clue what the heck could be causing it - the only change I could think of is that a few weeks back I upgraded to an iPhone 5S .

I tried the same experiment with a friend's droid - and no issues

Has anyone else experienced this madness?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sounds like an evil plan by Apple to destroy the key fob industry!!! :icon_wink:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like an evil plan by Apple to destroy the key fob industry!!! :icon_wink:
Seriously
At this point I'm just curious as to what's causing it .
Maybe Angry Birds app?!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Mine does that when I park next to a store I use. I think it is the security system in the store that mess's with it.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I've had this problem on other vehicles. Hard to say why the interference happens sometimes, I usually just adjust my pocket and it works.

Keyless/remote fobs seem to use battery faster in my experience. Like kidcharger said, change the battery.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
A few weeks ago, I hop in the car "Key Fob Not Detected"
I figure it's a fluke, take out the fob out of my jacket pocket and it starts right up - Great

A couple of days later, same problem, happening a couple of times a day
Next few days nothing .

This has been going on with no apparent pattern. I can hit the button to unlock or lock the car with no problems or pop the trunk , battery seems fine .

That's when I noticed that the issue only seems to happen when I have the fob in the same pocket as my iPhone .

I figure that i must be a bit crazy, so I just take out the fob and place it directly on my iphone in the center console - "Key fob not detected"
I move the phone away - car starts right up

I put the phone and fob in the same pocket - "Key fob not detected"
Move the phone away - bingo

I place the fob and phone right next to each other "Key fob not detected"
Move them a couple of inches apart - car starts

Being a network engineer I know a bit about phone/wifi/cellular frequencies
US voice operates at about 850MHZ
Wifi is over 2GHZ
Bluetooth is the same at 2400Mhz or so

It appears that car fobs (at least according to what I saw online) operate at a much lower frequency range, anywhere between 200 to 350Mhz.

So I have no clue what the heck could be causing it - the only change I could think of is that a few weeks back I upgraded to an iPhone 5S .

I tried the same experiment with a friend's droid - and no issues

Has anyone else experienced this madness?
It's more apt to be harmonics or cell phone power that cancels out the fob signal.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had this happen a day or two ago. Fob was in my jacket, Door handle unlocked, Jumped in and got the same message.
I took the Fob out of my pocket and it started right up.
I don't have a smart phone just an old cell for work. I was wondering the same thing.....

How far is the range of the Fob for locking/unlocking out in the open?
Mine is maybe 100 ft.

It might be a weak signal (so that someone couldn't steal your car if your keys are a short distance from your car) then it might not be able to read through your clothes either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts