Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Strange noise SONIC BOOM

During the break in period I always get on it a bit to get the RPMs up. Well today after the intial 100 miles I decided to give it some gas. I was in auto 2 and gave it gas and she took off. Around 4500 I shifted to auto 3 and kept tooling but I noticed a very DEEP sound when I want into auto 3. Thought it was me and a few miles down the road tried it again, same thing. No problems that I can tell but curious as to what the DEEP base sound is when I shifted. (automatic)

Anyone else notice this sound with your automatic?

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
There is a big change in ratio from 2nd to 3rd. Watch how much your RPMs drop. Also the engine is under greater load when the shift occurs. This is probably what you are hearing.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it is not ESP cause I disabled it and same thing. I think it is the drastic exhaust note change coupled with the kick in the ass shift this automatic gives.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Site,

Mine does it too. In fact you will find that when you are in auto stick mode and you hold a gear like second and play with the throttle you will hear that sound a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Site,

Mine does it too. In fact you will find that when you are in auto stick mode and you hold a gear like second and play with the throttle you will hear that sound a lot.
Yeah I am going to chalk it up to "Trait of the vehicle" which in actuality is the dealers favorite statement. LOL

She runs great and the pull it has it crazy and I have not even gotten on her yet.

I am so glad I got the SRT8 and not the RT coming from another SRT vehicle.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sounds like torque management rather than ESP to me. Cant wait for the Diablo tuner to come so we can turn that crap off.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah this whole automatic thing is new to me. Been driving a 6 speed for past 6.5 years. Not used to the automatic especially with the ECO mode (MDS) it goes into while doing the grandpa cruise up the highway.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Would it be because the VCT changed profile? I don't know what conditions are required for the cam timing to change. Also could be the active intake switches over to the short runners at that time.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I updated the title of this thread to more accurately reflect what I am hearing. I tested the shifting last night to get a good grip on the noise and man does it sound like a mini sonic boom when it shifts at high rpms.

Like I said, seems to be normal to me but would love to know why it does this. Do any SRT Engineers chime in on this forum?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts