Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cold front has hit my area, and now it's 25-35, I heard something odd the other day as if someone had "honked" a horn or choked a geese, then today I went down to my car and started it up, same thing, sounded like a loud "honk" when the car has been sitting cold over night, it starts up fine, but I stopped it and restarted it, got it to produce the sound again, but on the third start it was gone....any body else have this weird "honk"ish noise, it almost to me sounds like when a gear is stuck on a manual transmission, goes away right after it starts up though..

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Poor cat. :( Haha! :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
do you hear the "honk" when you shave also? could be a "flapper". certainly cold enough for one :scratchhead: gears whether auto or manual prolly nowt honk. :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
15,989 Posts
Its the power steering - you'll get groaning/honk/hiss sounds in low temperatures.

If its persistent, there's a service bulletin for dealers to trouble-shoot for symptoms.

As the fluid and p/s components warm up, the noise will typically go away.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Its the power steering - you'll get groaning/honk/hiss sounds in low temperatures.

If its persistent, there's a service bulletin for dealers to trouble-shoot for symptoms.

As the fluid and p/s components warm up, the noise will typically go away.
2nd this

My power steering pump is going out in my 71 buick, and it sounds like chewbacca when i turn sometimes

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not turning though...this is right when I press the push to start, the second it starts cranking then you hear this strange almost grinding noise I guess and voila it's on and no noise, not even a pause it goes with it as if it's "normal" but I've never heard it before...and it's only when it's very cold and I'm just starting it up, throughout the rest of the day it doesn't do it. I'll try to record it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
A grinding noise I don't know but if it sounds like a goose honk, my Buick did that from the day we bought it until I got rid of it 16 years later to buy the Challenger. Nothing ever failed on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts