Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was getting on the freeway and something new happened. I was going about 20 in Street mode and floored it. The car barely started going. I looked at the dash and my A8 was stuck in 7th gear and was slowly getting some speed. I let off the pedal then hit it again and it immediately downshifted into 2nd or 3rd and took off. Has anybody else experienced this? I don't want it to happen again!

Car was probably just about warmed up, temps were in the 90s outside, car has 1100 miles. I have paddles turned on in Street mode. I supposed it's possible I hit the paddle and it got stuck in 7th, but why did it pop out when I let off throttle?

·
Registered
759 Posts
What you said^. Probably just hit the paddle.

One time I did similar in my 5spd. I rest my hand on the shifter and must have nudged it while turning. Try to speed up and the car revs to like 5k with only like half throttle. "What the hell?!...oh"

If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I've done what Newoldchallenger has done a number of times, but never seen what the OP describes. When I am using the paddles, without pulling the stick into manual mode, they will eventually turn back off, but it's not right away. That COULD possibly explain your scenario, but I kind of doubt it. Hopefully it's a one time thing.

Definitely keep an eye on it. I've been fighting Chrysler about my transmission for several weeks now, and it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to take it seriously. As long as the car is moving, and it shifts, they claim it is normal. It doesn't matter that sometimes when I give it gas, it revs for sometimes up to two seconds before finally slamming into gear, like I did a neutral drop. They like to fall back to the "learning transmission" excuse and blow me off. How could the transmission possibly learn to slip because of how I'm driving? And why does it continue to slip after you reset the adaptive memory?

I'm about to take it into the dealership for the fifth time later this week. So far they say it's sup[posed to do that, it's a learning transmission, we reset the adaptive memory, and then replaced the valve body. They really have no idea what to try next. Without codes, they're completely lost. They have no diagnostic skills at all. SRT is supposed to be involved, but they don't seem to be helping with the diagnosis at all.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it did it again, turning slowly left. I was in a cul de sac with traction control off, the rest in sport mode. After turning 90 degrees I floored it with the paddles shifted into 1st. The car made no noise and did nothing. I had no acceleration. Looked at the dash, RPMS were low and I was in 1st. That lasted for 5 seconds then the car started to accelerate slowly. After that it drove normally again. WTF?

I recreated the first time it happened. I was going 5 or 10mph and made a left I tried to upshift to 7th or 8th and it would only go up to 5th. It doesn't let you over upshift. So no idea how it did that in the first place.

The second time this happened it wasn't a tranny problem, there just was no power available like it stuttered. My old Camaro did that when it was low on gas and I turned left. It would sputter then take off again when the gas moved back to the pump. But I am at 3/4 tank so that doesn't make sense.

Only mods I have are a catch can and Legmaker True CAI with 1200 miles on the car.

·
Registered
520 Posts
So it did it again, turning slowly left. I was in a cul de sac with traction control off, the rest in sport mode. After turning 90 degrees I floored it with the paddles shifted into 1st. The car made no noise and did nothing. I had no acceleration. Looked at the dash, RPMS were low and I was in 1st. That lasted for 5 seconds then the car started to accelerate slowly. After that it drove normally again. WTF?

I recreated the first time it happened. I was going 5 or 10mph and made a left I tried to upshift to 7th or 8th and it would only go up to 5th. It doesn't let you over upshift. So no idea how it did that in the first place.

The second time this happened it wasn't a tranny problem, there just was no power available like it stuttered. My old Camaro did that when it was low on gas and I turned left. It would sputter then take off again when the gas moved back to the pump. But I am at 3/4 tank so that doesn't make sense.

Only mods I have are a catch can and Legmaker True CAI with 1200 miles on the car.
I used to have this intermittent problem on my 2015 SRT where I would begin accelerating and it was like the throttle body was stuck. I never noticed the gear, but it was usually from a dead stop it would just not get the up the road. Then I was let off then smash it and it would downshift and go. For the longest time I thought it was the throttle body, but now my SRT is in the shop with a bad transmission. It has been at the dealer since August 30th. Threw a code for a 2nd gear ratio improper and would just buck all over the place in 1st. It went into 2nd gear and stayed there as the car went into limp mode. Knowing what I know now, you might be in for a visit in the near future with a transmission problem. Document everything you can and take it in.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Hope it was a fluke, but I'll start keeping records if it happens again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts