Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Feb 2017 I purchased a 2015 SXT w/ STP option w/ 21K miles. So Far
I have loved this car, It has 29250 Miles now. But Now I am hearing / feeling a thumping sort of rattle sound
I cant tell if it is from the front or the rear or both? I dont know how to describe it
Almost sounds like a shock absorber is loose? Its not metalic sounding more like muffled thumping?
I have tried all kinds of stuff, I was checking if the spare tire is flopping around? but it is tight. It driving me crazy
I get it on smooth roads also but it is more obvious on bumpy roads as well. I have a appt. Monday at the dealer Normandin Dodge San Jose.
but I want to see if anyone could recommend what to tell service guy / dealer when I take it in? I know its not normal to have these types of sounds vibrations? or is it? This is my first Dodge / Chrysler product. My last car was 12 year old Mercury Marauder big heavy loaded 4.6 v8 32 valve 4 door sedan, It had 300 hp 315 trq. i miss the v8 sound but when I test drove this car I was sold then the dealer accepted my low ball offer so.... Now I love these Challengers! it doesnt pull to the left or right its very solid. Tires are new / car has ran perfect Steering is solid not pulling Alignment is true.

I checked if one of the wheel wells plastic inner fender if it is loose? I removed everything out of the trunk / I cant
battery is tied in tight , spare tire is tight? I want to say its in the suspension somewhere? This car has the Super Track Pack option so it has a firm ride
are one of the shocks blown? Is it common for STP cars to have suspension issues? These California roads are not as flat as I want them to be.
I am hoping it is easy to diagnose and fix? maybe once they have it up in the air on the rack? i have had Bilstein shocks, they can and do wear out but in 29k miles?
another person said could be SWAY BAR END LINKS? @ 29k miles? Its more noticable @ low speeds. I notice when I first pull out every morning I hear a slight thump as I pull out turning left

if any member has any ideas please let me know.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
Maybe when you take them on a drive to demonstrate, have them sit in the back. They can tell whether it's behind them or not. Same I would suggest for you if you get a friend to ride with you. Two people can somewhat triangulate where it's coming from. At least gives you a target area. A Guy

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a clunking sound and feel every so often when I'm turning at low speed. It turned out to be the 2 piece driveshaft and it was fine. I have the manual rt though so may not apply.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had Appt. with Dealer this morning / drove around with mechanic driving he heard it
put it on rack checked suspension and inner wheel wells control arm torsion bushings
I asked to see the car when it is up on the rack, I was surprised they came and got me I looked under the car
with the suspension mechanic he said he didnt find anything wrong nothing is loose or obvious
I drove away Zero cost to me under warranty / Rattle and Thumping SOUND STILL PRESENT
Behiond the rear tires inside wheel well area, There is no fastener near that area I did see push in pins like the xmas tree
type fasteners those dont seem to be the proper application for under body plastic trim that gets hammered with water and elements?
Maybe Ill try a body shop?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is the front ds inner fender plastic wheel well
I feel a rivet head and it is loose? Means that instead of beign held tight it is moving and creates a very
annoying rattle / vibration.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the same rattle in my SRT 2016 and I think i found the source. put your hand on the rear seat panel and you will notice it is not sitting tight.

I am thinking on putting sound insulation under the panel to prevent the rattle.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
My SRT was thumping too on the throttle, and braking. Turns out I had an apple under my seat rolling around lol...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts