1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im puzzled.

2012 Challenger SXT Plus

Bought July 2013
Car got ~480km to a tank - Blowing cold air through vents even when set at 22 degrees celcius

November 2013
Car suddenly only gets ~405km to a tank - Still blowing cold air - optimal operating temp on gauge is lower than normal

January 2014
Oil Cooler, Heater Core and Radiator replaced under warranty - Clogged - 405km to a tank - Still blowing cold air - Still lower optimal operating temp

March 2014
Suddenly back to ~480km to a tank - still blowing cold air (not as cold) - still low operating temp

Today Im at 440km with a quarter tank left. Still cold air and low operating temp.

WTF is going on? Dealer has no idea. I have done no modding, no changes other than routine oil changes. No changes in driving patterns, no changes in routes driven or frequency.

Any ideas? Im perplexed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Are you going to the same gas station? Wonder if the gas mileage is due to the amount of ethanol, also winter and summer blends will make a difference.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, Same gas. Im very...routine.. haha.

I dont know. Its a big difference... And the temperatures dont fluctuate all that much here in Vancouver.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Your temperature may not fluctuate, but the wider market the gasoline is sold in probably does, so they blend gasoline to meet the needs of the lowest temps.

Gasoline does vary as well. The refinery that sells to your gas station can change the blend components, while still meeting the government specs. That can change the MPGs of course.

Reasons to change blend components can be the switch from summer to winter, or a refining unit under scheduled maintenance, or an unplanned outage in a refining unit. When a unit is down they compensate by using more of another product they already have, or buy in stock from another refinery. The bought in stuff is typically different, so the gasoline properties will be different too.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I believe here in New Jersey the winter blend loses 10-15% of MPG's compared to summer blend. You pay more and lose efficiency at the same time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bummer.. Im going to have to start purchasing and storing gasoline during the end of summer hahah. I wonder how many Jerry cans fit in the trunk..

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm wondering if your t-stadt is stuck open. That may account for the low operating temp. Fuel efficiency will suffer if the engine runs cold.

Have you checked for DTC's? Not all codes will illuminate the "Check Engine Lamp".

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
I'm wondering if your t-stadt is stuck open. That may account for the low operating temp. Fuel efficiency will suffer if the engine runs cold.

Have you checked for DTC's? Not all codes will illuminate the "Check Engine Lamp".
To add to that, aren't some created to fail in the open position to keep from cooking the motor?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Do you think the gasoline blending would be the only cause of almost 100 kilometers difference?
I can't say for sure for you because I don't know if you are experiencing this over a consistent time frame, or just every now and again when you pay attention to the tank mileage. I'm also not mechanically inclined enough to comment on the stuff the others know a lot more about.

However, I do know that changing the gasoline blend can have a 100km per tank difference. I'm not saying this is your "problem". Too many variables.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
To add to that, aren't some created to fail in the open position to keep from cooking the motor?
And I just remembered. Back in August my car over heated. The radiator cap came loose while I was driving. I pulled over and had it towed to the dealer. They swapped the cap and everything was fine.

I havent checked for codes. I have an OBD 2 at home. Ill do it when I get home tonight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts