Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm really enjoying my RT. I've noticed that as I drive around I constantly have people trying to challenge me to a race. Alot of times I've been in a fair amount of traffic and have people in everything from trucks to SUV's and regular passenger cars wanting to race. I know its all in good fun.

How do you all handle this? Anyone had any tickets or any accidents?
I've raced a couple of times with guys who come up on the interstate at highway speed but I won't come close to pushing it. I really have no desire to burn up extra gas and wear my tires prematurely. I'd much rather go to the local track and race there.

Tell us your stories. It is fun,...... but I really worry about doing this around town in traffic.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'm really enjoying my RT. I've noticed that as I drive around I constantly have people trying to challenge me to a race. Alot of times I've been in a fair amount of traffic and have people in everything from trucks to SUV's and regular passenger cars wanting to race. How do you guys handle it. I know its all in good fun.

How do you all handle this? Anyone had and tickets or any accidents?
I've raced a couple of times but really have no desire to burn up extra gas and wear my tires prematurely. I'd much rather go to the local track and race there.

Tell us your stories. It is fun but I really worry about doing this around town in traffic.
Most of the time I will just usually wave to whomever it is and give a big cheesy grin.

If someone wants to street race, I usually just do my regular, drive the speed limit and pull up to them at the next red light that they were in a hurry to get to. In all, racing is for the track.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Since getting my resonators deleted, when someone starts looking for a race at the red light, I let my girl ROAR that HEMI like I'm ready to go then watch as the moron beside me rips away from the light.

I have a big grin on my face the whole time I know I wont be the one getting a street racing ticket.

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Strangely the Jeep seems to trigger more street racing invites than the Challenger and the Jeep would more likely dust them from a stop.

Just ignore them or try to stay out of the way if they insist on being stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I let my girl ROAR that HEMI like I'm ready to go then watch as the moron beside me rips away from the light.

I have a big grin on my face the whole time I know I wont be the one getting a street racing ticket.
x 1...............

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Since getting my resonators deleted, when someone starts looking for a race at the red light, I let my girl ROAR that HEMI like I'm ready to go then watch as the moron beside me rips away from the light.

Here's a word of advice to everyone reading this thread concering street racing. I was busted street racing on Woodward Ave. in Royal Oak the week before the famed Woodward Dream Cruise in August this past summer. I happened to pull up to a good friend whom I've known for over 20 years, in his '71 Challenger R/T, at a light on a beautiful Friday night ( with my wife along for the ride ). As we talked at the light, traffic caught up with us. As the light turned green, we pulled away from the light nice and easy. I heard him holding first gear and saw him take a quick look around, just as I did the same thing. Well.....he pulled the trigger a split second before I did. We ran hard through first, second and just into third gear as we both lifted at exactly the same time. Just as we lifted we were greeted by flashing blue lights closing fast from behind. Long story short, I got busted as my buddy was able to get away. I was cited for Misdemeanor Drag Racing with the threat of an added charge of reckless driving. At the pre-trial hearing the prosecutor wanted to add the second charge which would have resulted in 12 points on my record (which up to that time was 0 points) and the end of my driver's license and a total of $3400.00 in total costs ( not including the attorney's fees). Thankfully my attorney was able to negotiate the charges down to impeding traffic and speeding ( due to my good driving record ). Needless to say this was the end of my street drag racing days. Foolish once...NOT stupid twice! Food for thought, before you decide to " go for it" on the street. Oh...by the way....my insurance agent told me that if those charges had been applied to my driving record, I would not even be insurable for at least 2 years, after which there would be a surcharge of roughly $3000/yr. over and above the standard premium charge. Think about it! Is it really worth it? And this doesn't even take into account the risk of hurting/killing an innocent bystander for which felony charges/law-suits/jail will surely be the result. I used to love street racing for a LOT of years, and had no problems, but it only takes that one time to possibly change your life, NOT FOR THE BETTER. Just a word..........

·
Registered
154 Posts
on the sit (TEAM CHEVELLE) if you even utter the words street race, they will delete you. you cant even talk about your old days 30 years ago. if it has the words street race in it. if you were to say( ya back in 1972 i raced a cuda down pratt road in metamora michigan, and i smoked that cudas azzz with my roadrunner. it would be deleted. we are being treated like babies. hey, if it happened, it happened...

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a word of advice to everyone reading this thread concering street racing. I was busted street racing on Woodward Ave. in Royal Oak the week before the famed Woodward Dream Cruise in August this past summer. I happened to pull up to a good friend whom I've known for over 20 years, in his '71 Challenger R/T, at a light on a beautiful Friday night ( with my wife along for the ride ). As we talked at the light, traffic caught up with us. As the light turned green, we pulled away from the light nice and easy. I heard him holding first gear and saw him take a quick look around, just as I did the same thing. Well.....he pulled the trigger a split second before I did. We ran hard through first, second and just into third gear as we both lifted at exactly the same time. Just as we lifted we were greeted by flashing blue lights closing fast from behind. Long story short, I got busted as my buddy was able to get away. I was cited for Misdemeanor Drag Racing with the threat of an added charge of reckless driving. At the pre-trial hearing the prosecutor wanted to add the second charge which would have resulted in 12 points on my record (which up to that time was 0 points) and the end of my driver's license and a total of $3400.00 in total costs ( not including the attorney's fees). Thankfully my attorney was able to negotiate the charges down to impeding traffic and speeding ( due to my good driving record ). Needless to say this was the end of my street drag racing days. Foolish once...NOT stupid twice! Food for thought, before you decide to " go for it" on the street. Oh...by the way....my insurance agent told me that if those charges had been applied to my driving record, I would not even be insurable for at least 2 years, after which there would be a surcharge of roughly $3000/yr. over and above the standard premium charge. Think about it! Is it really worth it? And this doesn't even take into account the risk of hurting/killing an innocent bystander for which felony charges/law-suits/jail will surely be the result. I used to love street racing for a LOT of years, and had no problems, but it only takes that one time to possibly change your life, NOT FOR THE BETTER. Just a word..........
This is exactly what I fear. I had a couple of hot rods back in the 70's. Had alot of fun street racing back then,......unfortunately... Its not the 70's anymore.
I really do want to do some track racing....but only in a controlled situation. We all love the thrill of the race (we wouldn't own a Challenger if we didn't) but youre looking at financial ruin if you get caught not to mention the disaster you have in store if you hurt someone.

I gotta say though I see it fairly often around town????

·
Registered
442 Posts
Street racing is for the unabashedly foolhardy. It's fun sure, but what's the point? Say you race and you win, you feel great; what if you lose, you sell your car? If you have the urge to punch it, do so getting on the freeway or out of a toll exchange, or race on the track, as others have stated.

I think most of us got the Challenger because it's a beautiful, big, rumbling beast, with room for passengers in the back and a trunk that actually holds a suitcase or two. I don't aim to impress anyone, I just enjoy my ride, and I'll enjoy it whether I'm going 8mph or 80...

·
Registered
161 Posts
The designers went through a lot of trouble to perfect the 0-60 timer.Has anyone not used it? If I wanted to drive like an old lady I'd buy a Prius.

5,134 Posts
I don't street race. If anyone challenges me I do the money sign to them (as in, race for money) and it ends there.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Dangerous anytime but certainly around town and traffic. Most of the time when I get some idiot challenging me its in some pickup with rusted out mufflers, mis-matched tires and one fender a different color than the rest of the truck.

Last time I had anything of any substance playing with me it was in Colorado on a trip. Night, in traffic, raining, and some idiot in a new green Camaro kept doing he run forward, lay back, run forward, lay back. Thought it was pretty stupid since even *if* I felt like having a go at him I couldn't have because of the cars in front of me.

Smile, go on, leave them wondering, use the money you'd may for tickets to buy something fun.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Uh, sorry but if this is your concern, you should not even be thinking of racing.:indifferent:
"I'd much rather go to the local track and race there"

Funny how you seletively forgot to post this part :scratchhead: :notallthere: :disgust:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Here they take your car away if caught street racing and endangering the public. Permanently! In September they took a M6 and a brand new Ferrari away for racing. I think the owners got back 50% of the selling price and the government kept the rest!! In fact if you are caught going 40km (25 miles) over the speed limit they take your car away for 3 days and you have to pay to get it back!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I leave racing to the track, but I've been known to "punch it" here and there on the street. When folks come up to me at a light I let them zoom past me and I just laugh and say "if you only knew." Besides the folks who want to race me are usually teenagers typically driving a 4-cylinder rice burner. And as said, if you get caught street racing in today's world you're screwed especially if your vehicle is impounded and sold (as permitted by law in many states). By comparison, I was caught street racing in 1974 with my 68 Chevelle SS (versus a Vega with a 327) and the cop tore me a new A$#hole and told me to go home ...and yes the Vega kicked my butt.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I leave racing to the track, but I've been known to "punch it" here and there on the street. When folks come up to me at a light I let them zoom past me and I just laugh and say "if you only knew." Besides the folks who want to race me are usually teenagers typically driving a 4-cylinder rice burner. And as said, if you get caught street racing in today's world you're screwed especially if your vehicle is impounded and sold (as permitted by law in many states). By comparison, I was caught street racing in 1974 with my 68 Chevelle SS (versus a Vega with a 327) and the cop tore me a new A$#hole and told me to go home ...and yes the Vega kicked my butt.
When I was a kid we used to race on the outskirts of town. I had a Kelly green Olds 442 with white leather seats back then.

Dont know which I enjoyed more.... wrenchin and racing that thing, or half nekked girls on that cool white leather in the back seat at the drive in movies. Had to go back three times to see Dirty Harry cause I kept missing parts of it. :browsmiley:

Rode around on bald back tires alot back in the early to mid 70's. Fridays and Saturdays nights, "South Eubank" was the place to be. Cops usually didn't show up til after 11:30 and the only time I ever got a ticket was for "Losing Traction".

Ahhhh,,,the good old days. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts