Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this interesting video where a driver compared the streetable power of the Hellcat and Scat Pack.

He tested them with stock and MT tires doing 0-60 mph runs. As expected the times greatly improved using the MT tires, however, only half throttle could be used on the Hellcat.

The verdict? The Scat Pack is the better choice for the street.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
Assuming everything in that test is valid, and equal, including tires, which could have been done better...
On the street, 0-60 only, yeah, maybe, sure, I'll buy it. What about 30-60, or 20-80, or 2nd gear anything and higher. I'm sure a Hellcat would walk away from me once moving, and one going real fast it would jog/run away from me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The point is if you are driving from a dig (0-60) a car that can hook and book, mashing the gas, is going to beat a car that you have to feather the throttle or loose traction. Obviously it also depends on power level (a stock honda civic might hook from a dig but it’s not going to keep up with a hellcat feathering it). Here we are talking about 500 vs 700 hp, numbers that make a dig race very close and driver dependent. That’s what the video was making a point about.
Obviously talking from a roll the situation is different.
I suppose it depends on your definition of “streetable” power, though I tend to take that as running from a dig up to the speed limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
To me, "streetable" is. able to be driven on the street, in a normal way that can be like driving any other car. My 1967 El Camino is much less "streetable" than my Challenger, and my Challenger will eat it for lunch. Another way of putting it is, "on the street" typically assumes that normal all weather rain capable tires are in use, and a suspension that can handle normal road bumps and stuff. Driving a car with drag radials, isn't "street" trim. But hey, if you live in Las Vegas, where roads are smooth, never rains, and have the cash, I guess you could run around in drag trim most of the time. I have not driven a Hellcat yet, but I seriously doubt that it has too much power to be handled/managed, just like the 6.4s. You have to baby them to act like a normal citizen or they make all kinds of noises when pulling out the population doesn't approve of. On concrete highway tunnel in 2nd gear my Scat Pack broke em loose while accelerating on a roll. A Hellcat would do it easier, but 3rd gear on, no comparison.

·
Registered
130 Posts
well i went 5.7 to 6.4 srt to hellcat. the 392 and hc seem very much the same off the line IF you can actually leave the line without spinning the tires. its after you get the kitty to stop spinning its where it shines. you can pretty much roast the tires anytime if you feel like it. ass end sliding out spinning at 65mph is totally normal in the hc. the 392 didnt have that much power. the 392 is a great engine but it is not a hc.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,342 Posts
No one has mentioned this is a 1000HP Hellcat, not 707 or 797

A Guy

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's obvious who didn't watch the video and/or understand the point of the post.
We all watched the video.
Everyone understands the point.
Not everyone agrees with the OP's verdict.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It still doesn't sound like you understand the point of the video.
Then what's the point?

I'm old enough to remember pre-soy boys crying a 280hp Evo and 300HP STI had to much power for the street. I remember journalists jizzing their pants over the 300hp 3V 2005 Mustang and how it would "chirp 3rd".

It's current year, every mid size out there has a +300hp V6, yawwwnz.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Then what's the point?

I'm old enough to remember pre-soy boys crying a 280hp Evo and 300HP STI had to much power for the street. I remember journalists jizzing their pants over the 300hp 3V 2005 Mustang and how it would "chirp 3rd".

It's current year, every mid size out there has a +300hp V6, yawwwnz.
Watch the video, the entire video from end to end. The video focuses on a very narrow performance window, under a specific situation. That's why it's easy to tell who hasn't watched the video.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Watch the video, the entire video from end to end. The video focuses on a very narrow performance window, under a specific situation. That's why it's easy to tell who hasn't watched the video.
Don't care. Not wasting my time to watch a video of someone making some weird convoluted argument that's so complicated and narrow you can't summarize in a sentence.

Example: "You don't need to spend $70k on a HC, a $40k 392 is 99% as fun a daily driver."

·
Registered
776 Posts
Don't care. Not wasting my time to watch a video of someone making some weird convoluted argument that's so complicated and narrow you can't summarize in a sentence.

Example: "You don't need to spend $70k on a HC, a $40k 392 is 99% as fun a daily driver."
You are arguing, but you don't even know what you are arguing about.

The entire video is about getting from 0 - 60 on the street and how a car with traction but less horsepower can possibly do it quicker than a car with much more horsepower but little to no traction.

The make or model of the cars is actually irrelevant.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You are arguing, but you don't even know what you are arguing about.

The entire video is about getting from 0 - 60 on the street and how a car with traction but less horsepower can possibly do it quicker than a car with much more horsepower but little to no traction.

The make or model of the cars is actually irrelevant.
I don't live my life 0-60 on the street. That has ZERO bearing on "streetable" Everyone knows tire x AWD = Street Launch. A 4,500lb RWD boat is just a spin king. Go buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It still doesn't sound like you understand the point of the video.
I fully understand the point of the video.

Some guy proves he can get a cleaner launch with a 485hp car vs a 1000hp car running the same tire. No argument there.

The cleaner launch equates to a slightly quicker 0-60 mph time. No argument there either.

The OP states "The verdict? The Scat Pack is the better choice for the street. "

This is where we disagree.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I don't live my life 0-60 on the street. That has ZERO bearing on "streetable" Everyone knows tire x AWD = Street Launch. A 4,500lb RWD boat is just a spin king. Go buy a Tesla.
Your post is irrelevant to the thread then because this thread is about the video in the very first post.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts