Has anyone tried to remove the factory hood and nose
stripes? I want to remove the stripes on the nose piece
before the hood.I can just see peeling the clear coat off
with it so I want to know if someone has tried it first

thanks

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Removed mine with a heat gun. Took about 30 mins. Go slow and don't use anymore heat than needed or you risk burning the paint. Or if your not comfortable doing that take it to a body shop and they will take it off for you.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I took my stripes off with just a hair dryer. Heat up the edge to peel it back, and then, heat the stripe as you peel it off.

Heat gun puts out too much heat in my opinion... hair dryer works just fine.

Mike

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I took my stripes off with just a hair dryer. Heat up the edge to peel it back, and then, heat the stripe as you peel it off.

Heat gun puts out too much heat in my opinion... hair dryer works just fine.

Mike
How long was your stripe on prior? or does that even matter? I have an 08 that I'd been wanting to put flat black stripe on...in place of the carbon fiber, just worried cuz it's been on so long...

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
The key is to use heat to soften the adhesive and work slowly (and carefully). I heard of stories where paint was removed from the hood by not following proper removal procedures.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
How long was your stripe on prior? or does that even matter? I have an 08 that I'd been wanting to put flat black stripe on...in place of the carbon fiber, just worried cuz it's been on so long...
My stripes were on less than a year. Jan 10 was the build date... pulled 'em off this weekend.

If you take your time, as Cuda mentions, you should be okay. Hair dryer is more forgiving than heat gun.

You probably will have to buff it out afterwards to blend the paint. You'll have new paint under the stripe, and older paint elsewhere. Even after I took mine off, I had a "ghost" where my stripe was. Hand buffed it with rubbing compound and all was good.

Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
anyone have a picture of one without the hood sticker on a PCP one.??

·
Registered
154 Posts
:)wow,thanks for the pic. i think i will be taking my sticker off soon.:pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp::pimp:

·
Registered
47 Posts
here you go, putting t/a stripes on tomorrow though.
Love the PCP and Detonator Yellow without the stripes.

+1 on the hair dryer and taking your time. Also, if you live in a warm climate, it helps a lot to park the car with the body panel of interest facing into the sun. Raises the temp so there's less work for the blow dryer to do and helps with a more even heat up (I assume).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Told the dealer to take them off my white r/t, it was 90 outside that day so they peeled right off. I even helped the owner of the dealership do it. Took all of 5 minutes. They come off easy if it's hot out, can't attest to the heat gun, but others do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts