Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that the stripes on Challengers are vinyl decals, how long can I expect them to last? Are they going to peel, bubble or discolor after a while? Any problems going to car wash or leaving cars in a direct sunlight for hours? I have a garage at home but at my work place, it is an open space with lots of sun.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've lurked these forums for awhile and have rarely heard of people having stripe problems. . I had silver hood to fender stripes on my 13 R/T, 4.5 years, 1.5 of them garage kept, they looked fine, never had a problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your quarters and rockers will probably rust out before your stripes have any issues unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sun is the eventual killer of exterior parts, including the paint work but I have seen original vinyl decals on cars that are near 50 years old and still look good.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Car washes are the toughest on vinyl stripes - it can cause the edges or corners to lift.

The only issues I've noticed are:
*'08 - '10 SRT hood stripes would fade / look milky
*water spots on matte black stripes
*getting any waxes or polished on the '14 and earlier matte black stripes - areas with product will look darker / oily appearance.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
The "carbon fiber" vinyl hood stripes on my 2009 SRT look as good as new.

I use Meguiars Detail spray on them and my car rarely sees extended periods of sun.

·
Registered
300 Posts
AND all the black plastic trim will fade before anything noticeable on your stripes. :frown:
LOL true before 2015..I think read somewhere that they changed the made to fade stuff out.

Ive got stripes and after 2 yrs they still look good..no water spots or any stains etc..I dont wax them and only wash the car by hand.

My car is garaged and I try not to let standing water set on the car really but if im on a road trip or something it happens..so far all good on a 2015 with 26k on the odo..Stripes still looking good.

·
Registered
2012 Yellow Jacket SRT8
34 Posts
agreed on all, I myself have had graphics in the past by Big Worm & Ryder. both to me were great quality, 5 years running on solid matte black, some fading but not very noticable. Watch out on car wash if your not doing it by hand edges may lift up. as someone said, the black plastic trim fades from sun long before your graphic

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was also told that stripes applied on vertical surfaces (i.e. sides and fenders) will last a lot longer than the ones applied on horizontal surfaces (i.e. hood, roof & trunk) due to the UV sun light impacting horizontal surfaces more directly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts