Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to add a strut brace and rear shock tower brace. Seems there are a few different types so here are some things I am looking for.

1. Ease of installation (minimal to none drilling)
2. perfect fit without a hassle of bending this or jacking that
3. car color matched if possible or nice black powder coat
4. nice welds, I hate sloppy welding
5. possible retain factory strut covers

Give me your suggestions, please!

Thanks

Site

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,054 Posts
All that I can say is that the welds on the MOPAR front brace, and Petty rear brace look very good. The Petty may have the edge on the weld being "better" looking.

I see a lot of bars out there that the welds look like something that I did in shop class centuries ago. That was an instant "no buy" for me.

The Mopar front needs two holes drilled into the existing cross brace. No problem, easy to do, used a hand held battery pac drill. No bending or suprises, and didn't need to jack the car up.

The Petty rear brace hasn't been installed yet. Hopefully this week. It looks straight forward, and they even give full sized templates for cutting the holes/slicing the trunk panels and bottom mat. I like the "X" brace design of the rear Petty brace. I went with the silver powder coating, and it was in stock and shipped fast. They can paint any color too.

No regrets on the Mopar brace, and the car feels "better" due to stiffening up the front. I'm sure that the back bracing will help too.

Good luck with yours

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
I know we have kinda discussed our SX Bar, but I did not mention the color options!

Standard is the Black Wrinkle (as seen here):

But for an additional $40 we can do standard colors (gloss black, red, yellow, orange [not toxic or hemi]) or $200 for color match as well :)

No drilling is needed for install either.

Perfect fit with no bending anything, clean welds AND you can retain factory strut covers after a tiny bit of shaving to fit the down bar :)

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is it a fact that adding a strut brace will not affect the alignment when removing the 3 nuts? Looking at the service manual it does not seem like it would and it does not say an alignment is needed, but I would like to read from others what they think.

Site

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Got Razor's Edge front and rear braces from Speedlogic. Very easy installation, no drilling, jacking, etc., nice black finish. Had to trim the factory strut covers slightly to fit. You will need to do some trimming on the trunk panels though. I just left mine out.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
I am looking to add a strut brace and rear shock tower brace. Seems there are a few different types so here are some things I am looking for.

Thanks

Site
I will try to give you some answers to each ? We carry our own Speedlogix Bars, as well as the Mopar and Lakewood Bars.

1. Speedlogix, and Lakewood both install with no drilling for front bars.
All rear bars will require some cutting of the trunk liner to get the bars through.
2. All bars fit great Speedlogix, Mopar, Lakewood etc
3. Mopar is Sliver, Lakewood is Silver, Speedlogix is Black Crinkle Coat, but we can also powdercoat, paint or send a bare bar for you to get painted locally. Petty bars are also available in painted colors I believe
4. Speedlogix bar welds are great, Mopar are typically pretty good as well. The Lakewood is the least expensive and the welds are not as nice as the other two.
5. Lakewood works with strut covers, Speedlogix does work with shaving a small bit of the strut cover, Mopar does not fit with strut covers.

Other differences are materials and design.
Lakewood and Mopar are Mild Steel
Speedlogix is Chromoly, which is stronger and lighter. I think Petty is also Chromoly.

Lakewood is a two point, which only mounts to to the two strut mounts to tie them together
Mopar is a three point, mounts to strut covers and also to the factory cross brace, by drilling holes and using bolts.
Petty is three point mounting to the factory cross brace as well, like Mopar, requires drilling and bolts to mount to bar.
Speedlogix attaches to the car in 4 locations, the two strut towers as well as replaces the flimsy factory cross brace and also mounts to the body in two additional locations.

The only bar that meets all of your requirements is our bar, great fit, Front and rear from same manufacturer, OEM quality( our rear bar is the same version Mopar uses in the Mopar 10 and 11 edition cars), NO DRILLING REQUIRED, Black powdercoat standard, also available painted/custom coated or bare, nice welds, can retain factory covers. Also the only 4 point design :)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Got Razor's Edge front and rear braces from Speedlogic. Very easy installation, no drilling, jacking, etc., nice black finish. Had to trim the factory strut covers slightly to fit. You will need to do some trimming on the trunk panels though. I just left mine out.
What handling improvements did you notice? Enough to warrant the price? Did you do both at the same time?

What exactly did you have to trim from the factory strut covers to make them fit?

TIA......

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts

Thanks

Site
the only place is Petty's Garage covers all of your criteria talk to Greg or Lance :)
rear brace

front brace

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,054 Posts
Does the Petty rear brace need any drilling done?
No drilling at all. You will have to cut/slice the trunk liners to install them back over the brace. You'll have to do this for any brand's rear bar, if you want your liners back in.

The Petty rear kit includes full sized templates for the exact location of the cuts.

Looks straight forward, and I should hopefully get mine on this week.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
:werd:
What handling improvements did you notice? Enough to warrant the price? Did you do both at the same time?

What exactly did you have to trim from the factory strut covers to make them fit?

TIA......
I put them on at the same time with less then 500 miles on the car, so it is hard to say if there was any real improvement in handling.
I had to slightly trim the bottom edge of the strut covers where the cross bar meets, nothing major

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
:werd:

I put them on at the same time with less then 500 miles on the car, so it is hard to say if there was any real improvement in handling.
I had to slightly trim the bottom edge of the strut covers where the cross bar meets, nothing major
OK thanks.....I think I will be adding these. I'm going to slice the trunk liner panels and retain them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Is it a fact that adding a strut brace will not affect the alignment when removing the 3 nuts? Looking at the service manual it does not seem like it would and it does not say an alignment is needed, but I would like to read from others what they think.

Site

No alignment needed. Loosening those bolts has no affect on the alignment whatsoever.

·
Banned
903 Posts
I did the Pettys front brace and Razors edge in the rear. The rear, only issues is getting the trunk liners cut right to fit around the brace can be a bit of a PIA!
I bougt the Pettys front brace painted to match the car Detonator yellow, I stripped the razors edge and painted it DY to match also. If I had it to do over I probably would have bought the Pettys rear already painted also.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hey Mikey,
Just to clarify, the Speedlogix front engine brace is the Razor's Edge?
Or are they 2 different brands?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Improvement wise, I noticed that I am able to control turns into curves much better and at greater speeds. You'll probably notice more difference with an RT than with a SRT.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Had to have a little Petty on the Challenger

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts