Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what brand of strut and shock tower brace is best. I understand this may be a subjective or opinion based question, however I am looking for easy to install and works. I see some companies that build Challengers don't even use a brace. Why is that? I now have a 2013 SXT. In my opinion, speed is okay, but handling is where it is at for me. I am looking for input on what brands to look at and choose from. Also, are sub frame connectors worth the effort and expense? Do they really make a difference in the feel of the chassis/suspension?

Lastly, I was looking into trying to get a Hurst shifter for this Challenger, however there is supposedly a difference between the '12 and '13 models in relation to the console. Has anyone here used the shifter? Where and what is the difference? Are there any pictures of someone using the Hurst in their 2013 Challenger?

Bob D.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
strut tower braces are subjective like you said.

for ease of install the lake wood is the easiest.. put it on and done.. no drilling.

but for a more rigid feel. the petty garage, speedlogix, and arrington and mopar all tie into the factory brace on the fire wall. the speedlogix accually replaces it. but it is the most labor intensive to install. the petty is a nice pc.. super light weight. the arrington ( is the one i have ) is the most expensive but i think the best looking.

i can't speak for the hurst as you have a automatic i am guessing?

chris

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Razors Edge my opinion Is the best AKA the speedLogix one .... bolts in 4 places instead of 2 and yes the sub frame connecters are great .... but if you want a great upgrade .... first ... change the sway bars then strut towers ... and if you lower it after all that you will want adjustable sway bar end links also from Razors Edge or where ever you want to buy them as when you lower it releases to much pressure off of the sways and then they are not as effective .... then do the sub frame connectors

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I agree, my Petty Garage Strut Tower Bar required no drilling and the car feels really good.

fit like a glove and took maybe 15 mins maximum to torque it down to specs and all.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I looked at all brands, and looked closely at the various bar's design/construction and welds.

I went with the Mopar front, and Petty 4 point rear. Happy with both choices.

At some point I will get the subframe bracing too. Leaning towards the Petty again, and my thinking is the weld in version.

Bracing and Mopar Stage One springs has made a notable improvement on how my R/TC handles, rides, and looks.

Good luck on your upgrades, they'll be worth it.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat
364 Posts
Hey cmchristo -- is that Lefse you have on the counter in the baggie by the coffee pot?? I LOVE homemade lefse!!!

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
I will be using a mopar performance 4 point, with the detachable top bar for the rear.
That design wasn't available at the time that I bought my Petty. If I didn't have a rear brace already, I would have to look at this latest Mopar brace.

Bottom line, bracing is GOOD. :)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Speedlogix is the source for the very best aftermarket upgrades.

Accordingly, Speedlogix offers Razorsedge products.

Having Razorsedge front and rear strut tower braces as well as subframe connectors on my 09 R/T, and personally coming to know the owner of Razorsedge, my only suggestion is to install the best and reap the rewards of the clearly superior suspension upgrades available. Period.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The Drake unit is...............

I don't know what the big deal is about drilling two holes? and the Drake unit (avail. at Summit) is made of billet aluminum and MUCH better looking than the others (tubing, no thanks)
To each, their own!

David

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Mopar front brace requires about two minutes worth of drilling, and most of that is getting the bit into the chuck, after you find the drill. LOL

It's no big deal or deal breaker IMO.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I went with razors edge rear and the Lakewood front tower braces. Also Spron rear sway bar links and razors edge adjustable front sway bar links. Adjusted the front links down 1/4 from stock links to put a little pre-load on sway bar. Handles great. Save your money and just do these few things and you will love the feel of the car. Don't lower it as to do it correctly you will need to buy new coil overs and a bump steer kit. This can get very costly. I know a couple of things about suspensions as I am a graduate of Bob Bondurant's school of racing, 1979. We spent 2 days on suspension school alone, among other things before we got to race each other in Datsun 240Z's . It was a blast. I came in 3rd, behind the instructor. There was 10 of us on the course at the time. Anyways, choose your upgrades slowly and make sure you keep the car balanced as you make you upgrades.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Front strut bar for 3.6 cars

Is Petty Garage the only place that offers a bar that will fit with the 3.6 engine? I bought the Mopar Performance bar (the parts guy called someone who assured him it would fit) but it obviously doesn't. It hits the intake and won't even sit down on the strut towers.
Dallas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Speedlogix Front Strut Tower Brace 05-14 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum (ALL) MOBodyman, try this one out. They have pics of the bar fitting your 3.6L. A little pricey at $300, but I paid a little over $200 for my Lakewood tower brace. I have the razorsedge 2 point in the trunk. After I put in my own access panels I will post pics on my page. I would suggest putting in both front and rear tower braces, then the Spron rear sway bar end links to complete the handling upgrades. Should run you around $700 for everything. You will love the feel of the car after that. Cornering will be improved quite a bit. Good luck

1 - 20 of 38 Posts