Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anybody install a strut tower brace? Notice a big difference in the handling?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have tried a couple different ones...no change to anything except the cosmetic look of my engine bay. While not a Dodge Engineer I have a good friend that is a Chassis Engineer for one of the other big three and his input was that for a daily driver or normal sports car gear head they have no value. Now for someone that has really built their car into somehting that can pretty easily twist and contort their vehicles structure...they definately add value.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ive been wondering too.

I noticed a big difference when I swapped out the RT suspension parts for the SRT parts. Now Im wondering how much more a brace would mean.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Any point in adding them to an '11? Was wondering since the suspension and handling are already better.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
For the cost the extra support can't hurt. I'm doing front , rear ( using the arched model cuz I actually use my trunk) and frame connectors. Painting them to match the car except the rails, I'll just leave black powder.

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
Unless you are a serious twisties racer, a strut brace will only be for show.

In my opinion, it detracts from the appearance of the aluminum intake manifold on the 6.1. There are better ways you can spend your money on mods.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just swapped out the stock springs and struts and shocks, for the Eibach 2895.780 kit. A big difference there. I was hoping anything else I could do to tighten it up even more. Although I'm pretty satisfied right now.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I frequently take my car to road course tracks and did the Razor's Edge braces on front and rear. I made several other changes at the same time like Chubby Pro sway bars and Pedders bushings. The car is much improved in hard corners, but it is hard to say which of the mods improved it by what amount. I would do it again in a minute, especially since it is so easy to install and low cost.

·
Banned
903 Posts
I've had several people tell me that the rear brace helps eliminate rear wheel hope in the stick cars, I don't know for sure but I will soon because I just ordered the Razor's Edge rear brace last night.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had the SP one installed on my charger SRT8 and it made a very noticable difference in body roll and the car overall handled better. I am thinking about doing it to my challenger also.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I had the SP one installed on my charger SRT8 and it made a very noticable difference in body roll and the car overall handled better. I am thinking about doing it to my challenger also.
I have a Razors edge front strut that is very similar to the SP one. At 70 mph in a turn, you will notice a difference.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
Strut Brace for the front is a great looking piece it will have little impact with the stock suspension but once you get into upgrading your suspension it will become more noticeable at how much flatter the car will go into and come out of corners and as you hit it harder it does help. I installed the Petty's Garage rear strut brace before I ran down in Houston earlier this month. I had to run on street tires NT05 to say I was impressed is an understatement she helped plant the rear tires on the same tires when I was in Bowling Green I was wheel hopping and scared the guys in the stands especially Speedy!!! I can say the rear strut brace improved everything 12.3 @ 118mph and 12.5 @ 120mph on street tires... hell yeah also taking her into autocross the rear stayed planted and allowed me to hammer out of the turns.

You need to remember that your suspension is a very important part of making your car perform to your expectations for me my set-up gives me the best for my all around application which covers all aspects of the driving experience. :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have tried a couple different ones...no change to anything except the cosmetic look of my engine bay. While not a Dodge Engineer I have a good friend that is a Chassis Engineer for one of the other big three and his input was that for a daily driver or normal sports car gear head they have no value. Now for someone that has really built their car into somehting that can pretty easily twist and contort their vehicles structure...they definately add value.
....was he talking specifically about the Challenger or in general? Obviously, it will depend on the application. On my last toy, the strut towers were positioned in such a way (mated to the firewall) that a strut brace was essentially useless. Things like aftermarket cowl stays (fender braces) or rear strut bars on the other hand made a notable difference on that car. It just depends on the particular design and the effectiveness of the stock components.

It would be nice to see a video capturing actual flex in the stock setup (using reference points) and then another with the aftermarket component.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Strut Brace for the front is a great looking piece it will have little impact with the stock suspension but once you get into upgrading your suspension it will become more noticeable at how much flatter the car will go into and come out of corners and as you hit it harder it does help. I installed the Petty's Garage rear strut brace before I ran down in Houston earlier this month. I had to run on street tires NT05 to say I was impressed is an understatement she helped plant the rear tires on the same tires when I was in Bowling Green I was wheel hopping and scared the guys in the stands especially Speedy!!! I can say the rear strut brace improved everything 12.3 @ 118mph and 12.5 @ 120mph on street tires... hell yeah also taking her into autocross the rear stayed planted and allowed me to hammer out of the turns.

You need to remember that your suspension is a very important part of making your car perform to your expectations for me my set-up gives me the best for my all around application which covers all aspects of the driving experience. :)
Next summer as the Mopar'10 6sp cars hit the streets, we should get a feel for whether or not the rear strut bar helps with wheel hop.
If not one Mopar'10 6sp has wheel hop, then we might be on to something.

So far I have not experienced any wheel hop during two "test" launches with mine.
But it is still pretty new, with just over 1K on it... (currently hibernating... stinking Snow)

·
Registered
585 Posts
all points well put, for the minimal cost and time (4hrs) to install 4 point strut braces front and rear they are just another piece to the suspension puzzle on a frameless HiPerf vehicle. Seems as logical to put them on as a set of long tube headers for the price and the minimal hspwr gain. Pretty much plan to do that too!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I experienced very noticeable improvement in cornering flatness and overall solid feel of front of the car when I installed mine on my R/T. A couple of months after installing the brace I swapped SRT springs and shocks and that improved the handling even more.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
not to interrupt, but after reading about the Challenger compared to the Camaro and Mustang, I expected the door handle to scrape as I entered an exit ramp.

Needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised just how flat the stock R/T stays in the curves. That said, I'm not pushing anything to the limits like some of you guys may be, but I'm happy with what I've felt so far.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
not to interrupt, but after reading about the Challenger compared to the Camaro and Mustang, I expected the door handle to scrape as I entered an exit ramp.

Needless to say I was very pleasantly surprised just how flat the stock R/T stays in the curves. That said, I'm not pushing anything to the limits like some of you guys may be, but I'm happy with what I've felt so far.
:laugh: you can't go by the magazines always I think they are a little biased :)
I will agree the stock suspension is very tame predictable and soft a great riding car that is a pleasure to take on road trips. It does have a tendency to give a floating sensation or a rolling when hitting corners at higher than posted speeds.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Hey Jeff

My front strut bar and rear shock brace arrived on monday from Pettys Garage. I did go with the SRT brace, and the color on it is
perfect.:thumbsup: I will put it on this weekend. Then I'll have to wait for winter to be over with. Thanks again for the help and the suggestions. I'll post pictures this weekend after I get it all put on.

Kevin

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
Hey Jeff

My front strut bar and rear shock brace arrived on monday from Pettys Garage. I did go with the SRT brace, and the color on it is
perfect.:thumbsup: I will put it on this weekend. Then I'll have to wait for winter to be over with. Thanks again for the help and the suggestions. I'll post pictures this weekend after I get it all put on.

Kevin
Kevin, that's great news and good to hear I am glad that I could help mesure twice cut once and have extra blades :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts