Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While reading through several threads about installing srt brakes on an rt I learned, like all of you, that you require srt spindles. But that got me thinking are there any other car manufacturers big brake calipers that might fit on the stock rt spindles? Does brembo make a caliper for another application that might fit the rt without modifications ?

·
Registered
486 Posts
While reading through several threads about installing srt brakes on an rt I learned, like all of you, that you require srt spindles. But that got me thinking are there any other car manufacturers big brake calipers that might fit on the stock rt spindles? Does brembo make a caliper for another application that might fit the rt without modifications ?
I wouldn't call this a "Stupid brake upgrade question".
I think it's a good question and hopefully we'll see some answers to it.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
we do we stock complete kits for 2012 thru 2017 for the R/T and in some case the SXT, pm us for special promo package pricing.....
Luke

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
we are proud to announce @WilWoodDiscBrakes will be a brake sponsor on Bigred for 2018, and they have custom prep a set of front and rear brakes for our upcoming season....

featuring non fixed rotors and spring loaded pistons to prevent pad knock, a serious issue we struggled with in Vegas last November.....also using spec 37 brake rotors originally developed for military application

these are not street type brake but serious track attack brake system

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is definitely good to know that there are kits out there for rt owners. But I was looking to see if there was an inexpensive option available. Like pulling the calipers off a "fill in the blank" and having them bolt right up with no extra changes needed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So these front big brakes have the same diameter as the OEM Scat Pack(not the 15.4" SRT disc) except they have 6 piston calipers and 2 pc rotors.
And the rear disc are actually a bit larger dia then either the SRT or the Scat Pack. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It is definitely good to know that there are kits out there for rt owners. But I was looking to see if there was an inexpensive option available. Like pulling the calipers off a "fill in the blank" and having them bolt right up with no extra changes needed.
I think the reasoning behind swapping knuckles/spindles is because the srt brake kits can be had so cheap. But at the end of the day coming across those knuckles is hard and their about $400 new so imo the money you save going with take-off callipers isn’t worth it. Save up just a bit more and you can have a premium kit made for your car.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
not that I know off, nothing simple and inexpensive
Luke

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
I think the reasoning behind swapping knuckles/spindles is because the srt brake kits can be had so cheap. But at the end of the day coming across those knuckles is hard and their about $400 new so imo the money you save going with take-off callipers isn’t worth it. Save up just a bit more and you can have a premium kit made for your car.
try like 700$ new for the spindles each, and hub bearings are different, so also need hub bearings.....to buy the spindles and bearings new you will spend about 3200, then you need all the brakes,

left front spindle for a 2014 srt

https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-knuckle-5039030ae

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
So these front big brakes have the same diameter as the OEM Scat Pack(not the 15.4" SRT disc) except they have 6 piston calipers and 2 pc rotors.
And the rear disc are actually a bit larger dia then either the SRT or the Scat Pack. Interesting.
no the Wilwood kit is 14.25 inch rotors to help accommodate most wheel set up, these will fit some stock R/T wheels, we have tried and found a number of R/T wheels would fit including the standard 5 spoke classic.....
Luke

ps unless you have a donor vehicle cheap, an aftermarket set up is best and with brake pad availability and support the Wilwood is probably the best choice

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So what i wanna know now...do the new RT’s that have brembo optioned on them come with different brembos that clear out spindles or already come with the srt ones?

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
So what i wanna know now...do the new RT’s that have brembo optioned on them come with different brembos that clear out spindles or already come with the srt ones?
no they come with different spindles then standard R/T
Luke

1 - 20 of 27 Posts