Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Last night I put my house key on top of my car tire. There’s no good explanation for doing such a dumb thing other than I didn’t have pockets and I temporarily needed full usage of both hands and I didn’t want to put the key on the body of the car plus I didn’t think the ground was a good spot. Well, in my haste, I placed the key too far back on the tire and I heard it go plink when it fell (I assumed it fell on the ground by the inner side of the tire). Got down on my hands and knees to pick it up. It was nowhere to be found on the ground. I pulled the car forward and still nothing on the driveway. Backed out the driveway and still no key on the ground. Reached my hand around the back of the crevices and couldn’t feel anything. %#^! Finally decided to remove the tire and there was the key buried in the little bucket slot. How on earth it defied gravity and ricocheted and got itself deposited in there without falling straight to the ground is beyond me.
I get stupid person of the week award. Lesson learned. No putting things on top of tires anymore.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,522 Posts
Murphy's Law with cars. Anything dropped will go directly to the hardest spot to retrieve it. 🤬

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Hey, at least you had a jack.

Reactions: crackleshackle

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
My stupidest recent fail similar was when I was putting fuel injection on my 1967 El Camino.
One step was putting a wideband O2 sensor bung on the exhaust. I used a clamp on one that came with the kit, actually pretty nice. I drilled the hole in the pipe as close to the engine as I could and still get the right angle. Then loosely snugged up the band clamps for the bung. Then to line it up with the hole, I stuck the handle/socket thing like a nut driver I was using for the band clamps in the hole to wiggle/align the bung with the hole in the pipe. And of course, I knocked the socket (5/16?) off INSIDE THE EXHAUST. Took about 15 min with a 50 year old springy reach magnet thing that was my dads, but I finally got it out. Using a springy magnet inside steel pipe doesn't work well!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
Young people today don't know from a springy reach magnet thing :)

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
Young people today don't know from a springy reach magnet thing :)

A Guy
Or a springy reach grabby thingy gizmo for that matter...

Reactions: A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Years ago someone dropped a GM ignition key on the exit ramp in Reno, NV. How do I know? It was a million
to 1 shot, but I got a flat from it. Thanks alot whoever that was!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had an epic fail changing the differential oil in my '12 R/T a few years back, went to pump in the new oil and posi lube and the nozzle on the end of the fill tube blew off into the differential housing. The resultant 5 hour fight trying to extract the plastic nozzle(that normally was used for outdrive fill on marine apps)out of the differential via the drain plug hole was not a barrel of fun, but was able to get it out with several pairs of needle nose pliers and a needle nose vise grip plier.
Lesson learned: Don't leave the plastic adapter on the end of the fill hose on the gear lube pump, restricts oil flow anyway with gear lube, which is what popped it off the end to begin with, and it WILL fall right into the differential housing according to Murphy's Law.
DOHH!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts