Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a very bad trunk rattle whenever the bass hits hard? It seems to be something within the trunk rather than the trunk itself. I like my thump and want to be able to listen to my tunes without the people in my general area falling down with laughter.

I think I have the 430N - RHB but posted an image so a more knowledgable owner can correct or verify.

:laugh2:

Is there a standard fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
what area of the trunk is making the loud noise? I always treat the trunk lid first then the wheel wells and side sheet metal. Spend about $100 on some sound deadening (36sft) will cover the entire trunk area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what area of the trunk is making the loud noise? I always treat the trunk lid first then the wheel wells and side sheet metal. Spend about $100 on some sound deadening (36sft) will cover the entire trunk area.
I haven't fully investigated yet but I know it's not the trunk lid. It's either something within the trunk area or the rear deck. I've got next week off so I'm going to do some digging. What's the best resource for some DynaMat?

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
I haven't fully investigated yet but I know it's not the trunk lid. It's either something within the trunk area or the rear deck. I've got next week off so I'm going to do some digging. What's the best resource for some DynaMat?
Have you pulled the speaker out to see if anything fell under it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh okay, but I would still do these areas if you have left over deadening after doing trouble areas. The rear deck could be the issue. you have to remove the rear deck cover top and bottom. Adding deadening to those areas will solve the issues.

As for deadening, I wouldnt use DynaMat deadening. To be its not as effective as other brands. I use a company called STP, Russian made and used in military vehicles. 50mm thick and 100% butyl unlike DynaMat and some others that use roofing asphalt mixture.

StP SILVER BULK SOLUTION (sku: STPSBS9SH)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you pulled the speaker out to see if anything fell under it?
Just got out from inside the trunk. Mine has the HK system and there are two 10" (?) subs in the rear just above the spare. The rattle appears to be coming from the lift lid just above them. It looks to be very well sound-proofed and with a little maneuvering I was able to get the rattle to stop. I'll just have to figure out a way to make sure it doesn't shift into a bad position again.
Thanks all for your input and help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
same problem here

i just couldn't take it. muddied up all my mid range. my lows hit hard them the kicks suck and rattled. pulled out the sub and the battery terminal cap fell down there. that was part of it. then i put a yoga mat from marshalls under the sub and screwed it down. stopped more rattle..but honestly it sounds like it is deadening the hit. though the puch does seem tighter. i just pulled must of the trunk lining out and im going to apply some dynamat..actually from another company i saw on ebay. ill be working on that tonight. but while i was driving to get a pry tool from harbor freight without all the lining and trunk lid in there... the music sounded awesome! im just happy to know its definitely a fixable problem. ill post some pics as i solve it.

i just came back from riding around without the lining and trunk floor out again.. and i can confirm the rattle is completely gone. thisystem sounds amazing now.. what i expected from a $2000 upgrade

1 - 9 of 9 Posts