Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
T/A 392 widebody
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added welded in subframe connectors on their widebody? how much of a difference did it make and is it worth the money. Also what brand did you go with?

·
Premium Member
11,972 Posts
Huge difference!

Hands down one of the very best mods we added to our cars. If I lift the rear tire using a jack, the front is going to come up too. Well worth it IMO. Speaking personally

- Alexis

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,786 Posts
Huge difference!

Hands down one of the very best mods we added to our cars. If I life the rear tire using a jack, the front is going to come up too. Well worth it IMO. Speaking personally

- Alexis
I agree!

People will spend a bunch of money installing front and rear braces to increase the rigidity between the shocks towers. I think that this might help steering response a little but not like tying the frames together and making it a poor Man's (or Woman's) full frame vehicle. This would get rid of quite a bit of flex in the frame, not too mention that you'd have quite a few more jacking points to lift your car from if doing any type of work on it (just to add to what Alexis said :)).

·
Registered
39 Posts
When you say it made a difference...in what way? Better handling as in being able to pull more Gs on a skid pad (overall grip)? Or less understeer/ oversteer? I already have strut tower braces so was contemplating BMR chassis braces. Thanks.

·
Registered
T/A 392 widebody
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might buy the Pettys garage weld on ones. Unless there’s better ones out there. I seen them when I bought my front strut tower brace. I was thinking away bars but the widebody already comes with pretty beefy ones. After I put the strut brace in I noticed less roll and feels more planted and I’m getting that itch to stiffen up that chassis even more bit by bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone added welded in subframe connectors on their widebody? how much of a difference did it make and is it worth the money. Also what brand did you go with?
one of the first things i did to my 2009 srt8 i purchased used 4 years ago. it adds weight but well worth it. mine are bolted in. makes the car more neutral and better handling. also the original owner had the front strut tower brace installed. my car rides great.

·
Registered
T/A 392 widebody
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh I think maybe this summer I will buy the welded in ones and have them installed, also probably going to have the front doors sound deadened as well.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,786 Posts
When you say it made a difference...in what way? Better handling as in being able to pull more Gs on a skid pad (overall grip)? Or less understeer/ oversteer? I already have strut tower braces so was contemplating BMR chassis braces. Thanks.
To make a decent handling car better, I'd suggest taking as much flex/deflection out of it as possible. That's why the strut braces work. They take deflection (flexing or movement) out of the shock towers and make steering input more immediate because it's not flexing first and then moving. A subframe connector does the same thing in that it takes the flex out of the chassis and makes any input more immediate. Delrin or polyurethane bushings work the same way...........They don't flex or move around like a rubber one does.

Oversteer or understeer is not a factor when using a subframe connector. That is more controlled by your sway bars and end links (if the adjustable type).

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
1,021 Posts
Most people don't realize that when a car flexes, it is loosing spring rate. The spring is first flexing the body then resisting roll. That is, a stiffer car doesn't require as stiff of a spring as a more flexible one, but stiff springs on a stiff car really improve handling. I put weld on subframe connectors on an '04 Mustang Mach 1 that I had and was amazed at the improvements. It handled better, accelerated better, and it didn't sound like a rattletrap anymore.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
09 R/T 6 speed (9th 6 speed built) with front & rear strut tower braces, subframe connectors after Mopar Stage 2 kit of shocks anti sway bars. Each upgrade was noticeable as they were installed one at the time. All worth the $. Capped off with Baer Pro Plus brake upgrade, also well worth the $, then added SRT chin spoiler w air ducts to complete the whole ambiance. I am one happy camper...
Wheel Tire Cloud Car Sky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts