Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received an unexpected "windfall" of $600. The smart thing would be to just bank it, but what's the fun in that? So, here's what mods I came up with that I could get for that amount - what would you get?

1. Legmaker Airhammer CF CAI ($299), Diablosport Predator tuner ($299)

2. Blastin' Bobs glasspack exhaust kit ($199), Diablosport Predator tuner ($299), 180 degree TS ($50)

3. C&L CAI/Diablosport tuner combo pack w/180 degree TS ($575)

4. Billet underhood engine dress-up kit ($180), WebElectric sequential turn signals ($149), OBD-II Bluetooth transmitter ($25), iPod Touch 8GB (recertified, $149)

Granted, the first three are performance related and number four is total gingerbread, but given the debate over CAI benefits, those could be considered that too. Also, just FYI, my Challenger is a 2010 6 speed R/T w/track pak, completely stock at this point. Thoughts or other mod "packages" that you'd spend your own $600 on????

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
#2 would do it for me or add the $600 to next months payment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd forgotten about the shifter - the Gunslinger looks pretty sweet. Weren't those all running about $299?

Also, does anyone know of any better deals out there on the CAI & Predator than the one's I found?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Definitely the Hurst shifter, and through the hop not website w throw rod upgrade....

Performance and looks combined!!

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
None of the above. I'd shoot for an Eibach Pro Kit suspension system. Really helps the car and makes it look nicer.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I just got my Challenger and still in the mist of doing my research on the best bang for the buck in regards to mods. Awhile back I came across a thread where lots of folks were converting to an SRT air intake for fairly cheap and (I *think*) nearly the same performance of a CAI when used with a K&N drop-in.

Assuming that is correct, this would be on my list:

1. SRT air intake conversion
2. Predator tuner
3. Hurst shifter (not necessarily the grip, but the actual throw)
4. Billet catch can (gotta keep the engine clean)

FYI, I saw the tuner @ Speedlogix | SpeedlogixStore.com the other day for $289. A small savings over your other price. Also, if you had a $100 extra to spend, they offer a package deal on several components for $699. Below is a link:

Speedlogix Tropical Storm Kit 05-10 HEMI

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Not to confuse you more...but for a just a few bucks more...699...you could get our tropical storm hemi kit...which includes a carbon fiber jlt cai, diablo tuner, pc cable upgrade, jet 180 thermostat, and billet catch can! That combo will get you all the most poplar bolt ons and save you some $$$ as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would there be noticable performance gains with a CAI, Diablo tune, and the Blastin' Bobs glasspacks, considering I have the 6-speed?

·
Banned
333 Posts
Would there be noticable performance gains with a CAI, Diablo tune, and the Blastin' Bobs glasspacks, considering I have the 6-speed?
Nope.

I would have to agree with Speedy on this one. Go for the Eibach Pro Kit. That will give you a noticeable improvement in both performance AND appearance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm with Speedy. You'll notice it every day inside and outside your car. Big difference in performance and looks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And this is why I love this forum - lots of great advice, thank you!

CAI = pretty much just under-hood dressup, maybe more noise under WOT? What about improved throttle response?

Diablo tuner = no appreciable gains with 6-speed (forgot to mention, I already have CAGS skip shift eliminator, so no change/help from Predator on that one)

BB glasspacks = no performance increase, but better sound? I've heard that 6-speeds already have louder stock exhaust than autos, but would mine still sound better with the BB glasspacks?

Eibach pro kit = better look/stance, better handling. I do haul a WaveRunner occasionally during the summer months (~1,000 lbs.), are the springs stiffer than stock, or will I risk bottoming out the rear with the trailer on the car? (note: no Nivomats on my car)

What I'm kinda taking away from all of this is that for $600 I shouldn't expect to get any drastic improvement in performance regardless of what I end up deciding on, correct? Not that I'm complaining - I'm still one happy Challenger owner. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
You will see gains with a CAI, as well as the tuner. The tuner is a bit less noticable on the 6 Speed but still picks up more HP than any other mod you can do for the $$, and you will need it for any mods you do in the future, cam, s/c, nitrous etc etc.

The Eibach kit is awesome, and does inprove the stance and handling. Comes down to if you want an appearance/handling mod, or something just performance oriented as to which way to go.

Here are some pics of the Pro Kit Springs and Eibach Sways installed on a customer's car.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f53/eibach-pro-kit-installed-pics-pauls-challenger-r-t-27736/

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, it really does make a huge difference, doesn't it? I'm sure that it handles as good as it looks. What are your thoughts on trailering my WaveRunner with the new Eibachs, and what should I expect over & above the $299 for the springs for a local install? Is it recommended to do an alignment once the springs are installed as well (and if so, what's typical for cost on that too)?

I wonder if trailering the WR is a problem if I'll need to just wait and invest in some kind of adjustable rear shocks........

·
Banned
333 Posts
Trailer will not be a problem. You will not have much tongue weight.

Don't use the stock dampers with just lowering springs. Get the whole kit. It is designed to work together, and it really does work very well.

Yes, you will want to align the car after lowering it. The camber will not be adjustable without additional parts. Not a big deal with the pro-kit. The slight negative camber makes it handle like it's on rails. The down side is slight edge wear on the inside edge of the tires. It's the toe that will need to be corrected ASAP to keep from wiping out the tires. My shop charges 69.95 for alignment. Your mileage may vary.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Is this the right kit?

Eibach 2895.140 Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs

Also, I found these - would they correct the camber?

Eibach Recommended Align. Kit

So about $250 for the spring kit, figure $75 for alignment, maybe another $25 for the camber correction kit - what would it cost to have the springs installed, or is that something an idiot like me could handle?
I would highly recommend the kit that includes springs and dampers (struts). Running lowering springs with stock struts will not give you the same ride and handling as using the Eibach struts.

As for install, the tricky part for a DIY'er is compressing the front springs. Otherwise, the fronts are a piece of cake. The rear can be done by removing the inner bolt from the lower control arm. Lining it back up can be a little tricky (the lower arm likes to fight you a little by twisting), but it's not too difficult.

Definitely get an alignment. The front toe will be whacked! Adjusting camber is up to you. I left mine where it was (slightly negative). It handles EXCELLENT as a result. The tradeoff there is slight inside edge wear. After 15k miles, it was barely noticeable.

·
Banned
557 Posts
...and you will need it for any mods you do in the future, cam, s/c, nitrous etc etc.
FYI, if you plan to supercharge your car, many of the kits come with a tuner in the package. In fact I was just looking at a Maggie charger kit that had the Predator included. ;)

As for install, the tricky part for a DIY'er is compressing the front springs. Otherwise, the fronts are a piece of cake. The rear can be done by removing the inner bolt from the lower control arm. Lining it back up can be a little tricky (the lower arm likes to fight you a little by twisting), but it's not too difficult.

Definitely get an alignment. The front toe will be whacked! Adjusting camber is up to you. I left mine where it was (slightly negative). It handles EXCELLENT as a result. The tradeoff there is slight inside edge wear. After 15k miles, it was barely noticeable.
I'd definitely have someone help with the front springs. Rather that be a shop doing the install, or having an experienced buddy help you. Been awhile since I did suspension work (and I was never a pro) but I seem to recall those being under intense pressure to the point if something happened it had the possibility to be fatal.

And ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get an alignment after any time you mess with the vehicle suspension.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts