Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my 08 SRT8 going on nearly a month now and I'm still loving it but was wondering what mods I could do on a budget that weren't already done by the previous owner. Here they are (the ones I know about at least) Air Raid CAI and Magnaflows. I have no idea how much more (if any) hp it has with those mods over the base 425. The goal would be 500 but I know I'm probably not going to be able to do that without shelling out several K which I can't do right now. If I could even get it close...say 475...I'd be happy...hell I'm happy as is. It sounds super mean and loud with the mags. Louder exhaust than on any of my 4 previous vehicles(which were all GM f-bodies 88 Formula, then an 81 Berlinetta, a 76 Camaro, and an 02 WS6 T/A) it's not TOO loud...its just right. But more power is always better so I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,037 Posts
I'd pick up a used diablo predator tuner, you probably could get one for around $150 and is well worth the investment IMO. It will give you a couple of performance tunes you can add, if you have an auto you can increase shift firmness as well as giving you the ability to add a custom tune in the future or modify one of the canned tunes.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
I can't think of any under a $1,000 mod that will give a 75 hp increase consistently. You could do 75 shots of nitrous for under a grand if you do it yourself. On a budget your best bet would be a good tune and be able to save it to something like a predator as mentioned above so you can switch back and forth if needed. This will also be handy for future mods. I would also get a base line dyno pull so you know where you are and then as you mod you can check again to see what your gain is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, was wanting to get the Diablo but thought it would be around $500 or more but for $150? I could do that. Also would the same device work on other later model Challengers as well? My sister in law has a 16' SRT. Would it be able to switch between the two? Or would it only work with mine? Just curious as if we could both use it, she might split it with me and then I could perhaps get a newer or better one. If not, $150 isn't bad at all. I definitely want to change how it shifts. Second and third feel a lil sluggish...like it's letting off a bit when I punch it. I like hard shifts. That's the way I had my WS6 tuned. I love to FEEL that torque during shifts and know this car stomps my T/A in the torque department. I thought about just taking to someone to get it tuned but for $150, it would be a no brainer as the tune would cost about that much or more than the device itself. Oh and it's an auto btw, Thank guys!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The diablo predator marries to your car so you can't just switch. You can unpair it and then pair it to the other car but I suspect there is a limited amount of switching you can do before it bricks. The $150 diablo that was mentioned would be used and is no longer made. I do not remember what year models they support but I suspect 2010/11 might be the last year. Diablo's web site might offer better concrete information.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Predator 2 just released and a vendor on this site is selling for $329 new

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Bought a new to you challenger, I would do some basics to the car before anything else, fresh synthetic oil and filter change, new spark plugs with proper gap, change the rear end fluid (synthetic), drain antifreeze put new in at proper mix and add a bottle of water wetter.

Do either a fender style cai and get the filter out of the engine bay or do a hellcat air box and K&N panel filter-not sure if you can do the hellcat box on an 08, I'm sure someone can confirm. Also look at doing a TCM tune, harder shift, reduce torque management and maybe add 100 or 200 rpm at wot up shifts.

Look at lighter wheels and tires, clear out any extra weight in the car - like spare and jack, little things add up to make the car faster.

Just some ideas on a budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts