Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my new 21' SPWB M6 Shaker is due in any day now. As it will be going to both the detail shop for paint correction, PPF, full ceramic, window tinting and rock guards, then to the performance center for mid muffler delete, Dynomax Race Bullet Mini's, skip shift eliminator and clutch delay valve removal. I want to mod it as much as possible but don't want to screw up my factory warranty. I know what you can get away with is subjective from dealer to dealer, so there is no "hard and fast" rule (I am even nervous about a catch can because I have seen posts about warranty loss from installing one here). Are there any other suggestions on what else I can "get away" with? I know the 392 comes from the factory pretty maxed out but am open to suggestion from experienced Mopar owners (this is my first Mopar!).

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
Natural DIY Car Air Freshener - Oh, The Things We'll Make!

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
125 Posts
So, my new 21' SPWB M6 Shaker is due in any day now. As it will be going to both the detail shop for paint correction, PPF, full ceramic, window tinting and rock guards, then to the performance center for mid muffler delete, Dynomax Race Bullet Mini's, skip shift eliminator and clutch delay valve removal. I want to mod it as much as possible but don't want to screw up my factory warranty. I know what you can get away with is subjective from dealer to dealer, so there is no "hard and fast" rule (I am even nervous about a catch can because I have seen posts about warranty loss from installing one here). Are there any other suggestions on what else I can "get away" with? I know the 392 comes from the factory pretty maxed out but am open to suggestion from experienced Mopar owners (this is my first Mopar!).
Ummm... what's a clutch delay valve and why are you having it removed?

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a ton of info on here about it and why to remove it. It's basically a fluid flow resistor in the hydraulic clutch line that slows clutch engagement/disengagement. It makes it easier for newbies to work the manual smoothly. It forces the clutch to "slip" on fast shifts. Some say it lessens the "shock" to the drive train. But it also interferes with speed shifting, so I don't want it. Out it comes!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
There's a ton of info on here about it and why to remove it. It's basically a fluid flow resistor in the hydraulic clutch line that slows clutch engagement/disengagement. It makes it easier for newbies to work the manual smoothly. It forces the clutch to "slip" on fast shifts. Some say it lessens the "shock" to the drive train. But it also interferes with speed shifting, so I don't want it. Out it comes!
Yeah, it increases the wear and tear on the clutch...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Much obliged. I'm hardly a noob so I'll leave mine be. When I read your comment I wondered if the clutch delay valve "feature" was something similar to the one to four lockout on my Corvette. I wonder what idiot in Detroit thought designing that in would be a good idea. I should probably just pay the couple of hundred bucks to have it removed but that "feature" forces me to redline first gear to ensure that the transmission won't force me to go directly into 4th..... ostensibly to improve fuel efficiency.

I get the impression that the morons who design these cars drive to work on a Vespa.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Much obliged. I'm hardly a noob so I'll leave mine be. When I read your comment I wondered if the clutch delay valve "feature" was something similar to the one to four lockout on my Corvette. I wonder what idiot in Detroit thought designing that in would be a good idea. I should probably just pay the couple of hundred bucks to have it removed but that "feature" forces me to redline first gear to ensure that the transmission won't force me to go directly into 4th..... ostensibly to improve fuel efficiency.

I get the impression that the morons who design these cars drive to work on a Vespa.
Speedlogix makes a "plug and play" module for the M6 Challenger that cost like 20 bucks and eliminates the shift skip feature. 10 minute installation. Might check with them. May not be as hard as you think. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guess you already know by doing the first mods you are listing you possibly void your exhaust warranty. My guess on the other mod you mention regarding clutch delay that could void the trans and clutch warranty.

I am determined not to allow Dodge to deny any possible warranty claims on my SPWB. I have a LS based Firebird that runs mid 10's NA that l have fun with. These SPWB's are very impressive the way they left the plant up in Canada. I plan to leave it as is for now.

enjoy your new SPWB when you get it!

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guess you already know by doing the first mods you are listing you possibly void your exhaust warranty. My guess on the other mod you mention regarding clutch delay that could void the trans and clutch warranty.

I am determined not to allow Dodge to deny any possible warranty claims on my SPWB. I have a LS based Firebird that runs mid 10's NA that l have fun with. These SPWB's are very impressive the way they left the plant up in Canada. I plan to leave it as is for now.

enjoy your new SPWB when you get it!
Yes, you are right. The only thing that can go wrong with the exhaust (as far as I see it) are the active valves. If they go and they won't warranty them (because of the mods), I will just delete those too, I am willing to risk it. As for the delay valve, well, I will save the parts for reinstall in case I need to. ;) Thanks for the input!(y)

Scat pack puddle lights are usually good for at least +20hp
It don't count if your chrome don't shine!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Dang, I'm in for some mods that won't void warranty too, but I would at least drive a new car as is until its broken in or at least 500 miles until I started messing with it.

·
Registered
539 Posts

The one to four lockout on your Corvette is the same as the skip shift on the Challenger. The clutch delay valve was designed by an idiot. You can buy a skip shift eliminator for $20. CDV removal is easy and should not cost much if you can't do it yourself

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I urge you to drive the car for a while before you start removing things. You may find you like it the way it is. My exhaust is right where I like it. My clutch works fine and I have yet to have the skipshift happen even when I try to trigger it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I urge you to drive the car for a while before you start removing things. You may find you like it the way it is. My exhaust is right where I like it. My clutch works fine and I have yet to have the skipshift happen even when I try to trigger it.
I completely agree with your sentiments although an oil catch can is going in when it gets it's 500 mile break in oil drain. And it's going directly from the Dealership to my detailer to have the opti-coat pro ceramic clear coating installed.

If the shifting "feature" is not noticeable or obnoxious I will likely be in no big hurry to remove it. The one to four lockout has been a royal PITA since day one and it's only due to my laziness that it's still in there.

Got the link to the $20 upgrade kit?

·
Registered
74 Posts

I totally agree that the one to four in the corvettes is a real pain (never owned one but got to drive C6 Z06 quite a bit). The feature was designed for the EPA gas mileage test. The test has a very specific "driving profile" that doesn't match actual driving patterns well. In the test the forced shift to 4th works due to the testing profile and made a big enough improvement to gas mileage numbers to avoid or lower the gas guzzler tax. Like so many other things with new cars now, its sole purpose is to help with government regulations; in this case to get higher EPA mileage numbers to help the corporate average fuel economy and limit/eliminate the gas guzzler tax penalty on customers.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Not sure you can get away with the mod's you say you are going to have done.

I am quite against mod'ing at least a new car one under new car warranty. There is a risk associated with a new car which is why it comes with in this case a 3 year 36K mile new car warranty.

To toss this away for mods which will do nothing for the car is something I do not think I'll ever understand.

With my 2020 I have encountered the skip shift "feature" one time. I have adopted a driving technique -- which I first developed way back in 2001 when my new 2001 Camaro Z28 came with a 1-4 skip shift and then again in 2006 when I bought a 2006 GTO. With the GTO I did buy a I think it was called at Predator tool to turn off the skip shift feature.

With the Scat Pack since I can avoid triggering the 1-4 shift very easily I will not bother with this.

The clutch (and shifting) of my Scat Pack is very nice. I have not encountered any signs of an CDV interference in my 2K miles of driving the car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts