Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got the bug and have done a couple autocross and 1 track event. They have been a blast and I am finally learning how to drive this beast which is a 16 SRT. I noticed after the track that the outer edges of my track tires are wearing a lot more. My guess is the car is leaning and the suspension flexes some changing the contact patch. Well these tires were expensive, and I want more grip using them! I have a set of Eibach lowering springs coming which will take it down about an inch. I would go more, but this is also my daily driver. So my question is while I am getting the springs installed, should I get something to adjust the camber too? I've read that lowering it an inch will add about .5 degree of negative camber which should help, but maybe I need more?

The rear is not as bad on the outer edges, but they have worn more overall from acceleration and sliding. I plan to rotate them for the next event swapping the rears to the front. Then I may have them removed and flipped to the other way if the uneven wear continues. Right now my Challenger has Petty sway bars, Potenza 285/35/20 RE71R tires, & a Speedlogic front strut bar. It's quite balanced and keeping up with cars that should beat it. I love the adjustable suspension on my car, otherwise I'd get coilovers. With this setup my car went from .97 lateral Gs to 1.21. I hit the track 1 or 2 times a month. Any insight would be appreciated! Must go faster!!

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
It is absolutely normal having the outer part of the tires. Holding 4400pounds with 1 G lateral force with 275mm is not easy:)
Younhave already neg1 chamber ,ish.
I lowered my scat pack 16 (which is already ,5inch lower) with H&R.
Don't go more then -3° especially if it is your daily drive. (You risk to have the inner part "destroyed soon). Service can use special bolt to modify the chamber.

My personal recommendation ,especially if you like autocross or roadcoursing(this is what i do!) Is to buy a bigger set of wheels with track dedicated tires. I'll suggest bigger tires :)

This makes sense if you attend more than 4-5 per year.

Where r u based?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm in Phoenix. Our season is coming to an end with the sun getting nearer. So I have maybe one or two events left. I have an extra OEM rim set with the Potenzas on. I might consider selling those and going bigger. What are you running tire wise?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks, I'm in Phoenix. Our season is coming to an end with the sun getting nearer. So I have maybe one or two events left. I have an extra OEM rim set with the Potenzas on. I might consider selling those and going bigger. What are you running tire wise?
I've tried nitto ns05. Very bad.
Rs71 are great tires.
I'll stick with them.
Try to go at 305 in the back a 285 front.
Wheels that can do that are many. A cheap compromise is factoryreproductions.
10. 5 back and i think 9. 5 front
Passing front 275 to 305 back makes a huge different

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure a 305 RE71R in the back would help a lot. I've tried running 32 to 35psi on the front and rear. 32 seemed to grab more, but there was more tire rolling.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm sure a 305 RE71R in the back would help a lot. I've tried running 32 to 35psi on the front and rear. 32 seemed to grab more, but there was more tire rolling.
I start 29. Going up to 38 sometimes:)
35 is good whem they are hot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts