Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Sunday Drive

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  aldo90731 
#1 · (Edited)
I am very lucky to live within 40 mins of some world-class drives.

This morning I took my Challenger along scenic Angeles Crest Highway, which meanders 50 miles into the Angeles National Wilderness, and up the San Bernardino Mountains. The views are fantastic and the road tons of fun.

I hit the road at sunrise before Corollas and Priuses clog the road. It was a hoot driving the Challenger on this Hwy.

Here are some shots I took.

The road

View of Mount Baldy

San Bernardino Mountains

View of the Mojave Desert from the top of the San Bernardino Mountains

One more

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow! Some great vistas there, car look great too! Could you feel a little power loss at elevation?

Reactions: aldo90731
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks!

I did not, to be honest.

The road is so curvy, I kept the shifter between 3rd and 4th gears most of the time. Between 2,000-3,000 RPMs, the 392 just leaps forward as soon as you stomp on the gas. It was sweet hearing the growl of the HEMI echo off the mountain sides, too.

#10 · (Edited)
This the section of Hwy CA 2, right north of Los Angeles, in La Cañada.

It is a famous route, made popular in Motor Trend and Road & Track articles. By 9:30am the road starts to get busy with expensive sports cars, slow tourists and fast motorcycles, which is why you need to hit it at sunrise. As you can see, I had the road to myself.

Angeles Crest Hwy., CA 33 north of Ojai, Mulholland Drive, Ortega Hwy., and Pacific Coast Hwy (between Malibu and Santa Barbara, and between San Simeon and Carmel) are favorite for testing cars, bikes and photoshoots.

Reactions: salvy59
#16 ·
I like Ortega, but its a little on the short side - and for some odd reason one of the more dangerous spots to drive. Angeles crest is fantastic, and I'll have to check out the CA 33.

Great pictures. I don't think I'd have the patience to pull over and get out if I had an SRT. Just an R/T for now...

#13 ·
Nice shots.

A Challenger, a open road, a little imagination and a camera = will a nice day.

Thanks for sharing.

:cheers:
Indeed. Thanks!

Saw yours too: very nice shots! Love the orange.

A handsome subject makes photographing so much easier LOL

#17 ·
Very nice pictures of your SRT and the icy scenery! Driving to the keys today, in our (I hate to admit it) mini van.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
The pics are awe inspiring. Your Challenger and the scenery surrounding it are beautiful.

Got any video? hint, hint.............

#21 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Funny you say that. As I was ending my drive, I saw a bunch of motorcyclists with a GoPro glued to their helmet start their ride.

It'd be so cool to tape the drive as viewed from the top of my dashboard.

#22 ·
#24 ·
Oh, and I got to set the dual-mode suspension in SPORT and leave it there the whole 2-3 hours.

I was a HOOT!

#25 · (Edited)
To those interested in doing it, here is a map of Angeles Crest Hwy.

On the lower left you can see the northern suburbs of Greater Los Angeles.

The western end starts at La Cañada-Flintridge, and runs 50 miles through the Angeles National Wilderness, in the San Bernardino Mountains. This mountain range serves as a natural barrier between the Los Angeles Basin and the High Desert.

The road has two lanes and a bunch of hairpins.

#27 · (Edited)
You need a sports car for these hair pins Challenger does not cut it unless you want to go as slow as a turtle lol

Convertible sports car would help to get the full benefit!!
I am sure a Porsche Boxster or Cayman would be more adept turning those hairpins, but driving my M6 392 in Sport suspension mode is a blast, too. And I would argue you could have a blast on a R/T or an SXT if you know what you are doing.

The speed limit is only 45-55 throughout the hwy, so it is not about flying at max speed, it is about knowing the limits of your car. I was doing twice the posted speed limit through some of those curves (i.e., doing 50 in a 25 MPH turn), with tires barely holding on but still enough grip to turn --the weight of that spare tire in the trunk is my secret weapon! :D

IMHO it is not about spending more money, it is about how much fun can you have with what you got.

When the road gets busy, you will see the latest Ferraris, Porsches, Corvettes and Vipers droning through those turns at speeds that would put you sleep. It is fun passing them in your humble Dodge...

Reactions: salvy59
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.