Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If your car has a sunroof, are you glad you got it or not? I'm scoping out a B5 blue RT manual with sunroof. I guess obviously the thing to do would be to test drive one with a sunroof and see for myself. I would just like the input of some current owners as well.

ETA: After reading the thread about the guy's sunroof problems, it sounds like mechanically they're very unreliable.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,049 Posts
So far no issues with mine. Its worked fine. I like it.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I have had one on my 2008 charger since new with no issues. I really like it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I love mine! Eventually, you will have to replace the seals just like anything else that is rubber and wears out.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I like moon roofs. That is why I ordered my car with one. This one no issues. WORKS GREAT.

·
Registered
870 Posts
There are zero issues with my sunroof. It is almost always open in the summer and I love the functionality. Having said this, I think the non sunroof cars look better.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I orderwd a car without a sunroof but couldn't wait for it to come in. So I picked one off a dealer's lot with one. I was unsure wither I would like it or not. Talked to my daughter about it since she had a couple cars with sunroofs. She said go ahead you'll like it which I do now. I also had a probelm with the sunroof with it being stuck opened in the vent mode. Dealer fixed under warrenty no problems since.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a choice of sunroof without NAV or NAV without sunroof (B5 Blue by the way - same as you are looking at). I went with the sunroof. It is my first car with sunroof and I like it. No problems.

That said, I think I would have gone the other way - no reason that likely applies to you (I am going to need a backup camera soon enough due to a disease taking its toll on my spine - I did not have a diagnosis at the time I bought the car) but I think they look even more retro w/o the sunroof.

Again, I love it, no problems, and my reasons for saying I would have done it different are likely not yours.

Oh, and good color choice! Pull the trigger!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
No problems with mine. If you ever had one and then don't, you will miss it. If you never had one, you will never know what you are missing. Mine usually is closed for mid-day driving because of the Texas sun but its open the rest of the time.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I came from a convertible and had to have one. I keep it open all summer except when it looks like rain. Even all day at work. Nice to have a cool car to get in to. Will the sun kill the leather? I left the top down on my Sebring and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I like the sunroof. If you have passengers or kids, it doesn't give the the dark and gloomy feel in the interior when the sunvisor portion is open on it.

Also if you have tinted windows where they not be legal, it helps it not look as dark as it really is.

If you smoke, I also like opening it for the ashes at highway speed rater than the side windows. Keeps the ashes from blowing into the rear seats.

I'm 6'1 and head room doesn't seem to be an issue. I guess it matters how you like the backrest positioned. No issues with mine. It wasn't a deal breaker if it had it or not and I haven't had any problem. My wife wanted it, so that's one of the major reasons why I have it.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Only 5400 miles on my R/T, but zero problems with the sunroof, and I use it a lot.

I like the "atmosphere" that a sunroof offers to the interior.

Nothing sounds better than a HEMI rapping up with an open roof!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I absolutely love the warm summer nights with my roof opened up and windows down. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My sunroof motor/module failed a few months after owning it.Since then 10 months after the motor/module change it's been working great.
For a sunroof motor change the liner is taken out and the passenger door removed and the horror on my face as they stripped the top part of all of the interior and had my door sitting on a table.Then the scuffing of the interior as they re-install the the new liner as the original falls apart when taken down.
Imagine what this would cost out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
6500 miles on my SRT and no issues...Love the sunroof.
369000 Kms on my 300M and also no issues with the sunroof.

If you can get one go for it, these sunroofs are quite large and are the closest thing to a convertible.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Looks like most like them, not me. Car looks stupid with one and my hair is always rubbing on the headliner. If I lower the seat, I lose the visibility I desire. You lose about 3 inches of headroom with a sunroof. If you have the choice...DON"T get one. And you know you will at some point have a problem with it, AND...you can save $1000 by not ordering it!!!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Looks like most like them, not me. Car looks stupid with one and my hair is always rubbing on the headliner. If I lower the seat, I lose the visibility I desire. You lose about 3 inches of headroom with a sunroof. If you have the choice...DON"T get one. And you know you will at some point have a problem with it, AND...you can save $1000 by not ordering it!!!

Sorry, but I have to disagree here:

1) No issues ever with either of my Chrysler/dodge car's sunroofs (over 380Kms combined)
2) I'm 6'4" and have lots of headroom and can see very well
3) What is $1K on ~$50K...Not enough to not get one
4) As for the looks...Different strokes for different folks

Get one if you like them...Should you ever have the misfortune of having an issue, there's always your waranty.
In the end it's a personal choice, and most folks here seem to love theirs...:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts