Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was gonna get the Super 40's but the guy at the shop talked me into the Super 44's claiming how everyone raved bout them once they had them in. well they are not as loud as i had expected and i took the res. out...sounds good but kind of wishing or actually wondering what it would have sounded like with the Super 40's. I remain undecided as to whether I like the Super 44's.:disgust:

ps every vid i seen it sounded like the 44's did have a deeper tone to them AND they are supposed to be louder than the 40's

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have been running the Super 44s with no resonators for a little over a year now. I love the sound...and since I just finished adding a bunch of engine mods, the note/tone got deeper and better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
got my cat back 44's in the mail 2 days ago.. putting them in tomm.hope they sound good was usure about the 40's myself ..let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pitbull62,
How long have you had the mufflers on? It might sound funny but my last several Super 40's and 44's were quiet for a couple weeks till they got there full sound. I put a 44 on my truck and actually contacted Flowmaster and complained that it was to be there most agressive 40 series muffler and was quiet. I drove to Carlisle car show the next week(45 miles each way) and by the time I came home it got much louder. I have the Super 40's in the American Thunder exhaust on my Challenger. It took a month or so to get the full sound. Take a 50-60 mile run one way on the highway and you will be suprised how they will sound within a week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pitbull62,
How long have you had the mufflers on? It might sound funny but my last several Super 40's and 44's were quiet for a couple weeks till they got there full sound. I put a 44 on my truck and actually contacted Flowmaster and complained that it was to be there most agressive 40 series muffler and was quiet. I drove to Carlisle car show the next week(45 miles each way) and by the time I came home it got much louder. I have the Super 40's in the American Thunder exhaust on my Challenger. It took a month or so to get the full sound. Take a 50-60 mile run one way on the highway and you will be suprised how they will sound within a week.
md, thats what the guy at the muff shop said. said they need to break in a little. im hoping it does get louder altho the "drone" is loud enuf as it is. oh well if it gets worse ill have to add some glass packs or something

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spaceshipon22's
I know this is an old post but my 44's are still not loud enough for me. My question tho is about MDS. Is disabling MDS by ignition key the same as disabling the MDS by way of a programmer the same thing??? I plan on adding a few things that im pretty sure will make it louder but wondering about this standalone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Pitbull62! Not sure if you noticed but i have a 392 SRT8 now but i did install sum super 44s on this one as well! I dont have the MDS disabled on this one yet but i can tell you that i turned the MDS off on my R/T using the programer.... I think the tune as well helped with the sound too! I dont know if im just too use to the sound of the super 44s but im thinking about going with the louder option... Which is the outlaw series! My SRT8 is just not loud enough to me.... Even when it kicks into MDS!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Pitbull, (I love your name, I'm a huge Pitbull advocate and have rescued a few, they are our babies), anyway, I don't know how long you've had the 44's but I've had mine for a couple months, my car is not a daily driver and it never see's trips over 20 miles round trip, its purely for fun. I fired it up a few days ago and for the first time it was loud. They do take a little while to "break in". A few things though, an automatic will always have more drone than a manual, you would have been more disappointed with the 40's as they would have been even quieter but mildly less drone and if you have a factory x pipe you are not getting everything the 44's have to offer. I have a factory x pipe as well and it is restrictive and gives the car more of that European/corsa sound than the muscle car rumble that you get from an H pipe. The debate over which is better, X or H pipe will continue with the main consensus being that the X caters to top end with the H catering to the bottom and more peak HP from the X, but the H will give you a deeper, less smooth rumble. I'm no expert on the subject but having the 44's as well and going through the initial shock of "its not as loud as I thought it would be", I have done some research. To maximize the sound from the 44's you can upgrade to a full 3" exhaust (assuming you went with the 3" 44's), eliminate the x pipe or swap for an H and depending on laws in your local area, headers (not an option where I live). I'm also assuming that you have deleted your resonators, if not, that is most likely the issue. I have said in other posts that my 44's sound different than any I've heard on other Challengers although I love mine I do plan on eventually swapping out the x for a 3" H & piping as well as 3" pipe from the mufflers to the tips when I replace my tips for the 3" solo dual rounds. Hope this was helpful... I know where your coming from.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Holy [email protected] this is an old post... you've probably already figured something out by now, I should have looked at the post dates before chiming in with a novel haha, oh well :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy [email protected] this is an old post... you've probably already figured something out by now, I should have looked at the post dates before chiming in with a novel haha, oh well :)
Dont know how i missed your post. Definitely appreciate your post. I didnt know about the X or H pipe dealio so thanks for that lil nugget of info. Well I'm still wishing my exhaust was a little more agressive. And to the person tht posted it would get louder. It sure seems to get a bit louder once the engine warms up. Maybe were all just imagining that. Dont see how that would be possible. Anyhow just installed an AFE intake and hits a nice "powerband" as i call it and adds to the exhaust nite but only slightly. Not sure if i should go with a tuner or a total exhaust. I'm not too interested in flying at jet speed but tho i wouldn't mind. Just lookin for my exhaust to sound better. Novel, that was funny !

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had my 44's installed and resonator deleted this past Friday, sounds better than with the stock exhaust. But t h e drone is there and I have a manual R/T with super track pack. Guess I'll have to live with for now. Also installed the Charger intake tube with and A M E filter and a catch can that I purchased from U P R products (what a pain to install it, got the one with the fender mount, should have gone with t h e one from Billet, try to save a buck and you pay the price. Lesson learned). Now I have a skip shift delete to install, hope that it is not to bad to install the same.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's an oil catch can that I bought from U P R products, but to remove the hoses from the p c v valve was a real pain and to re install the ones that came with the can was the same. I finally was able to put the engine cover back (after quite a few tries,so far still holding in place) but I'll probably change the same to the Billet Technology one,should have bought that one from the beginning instead of trying to save a few bucks. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Pitbull, It's been a while since my last post on this thread but since then I have gone 3" with the entire exhaust (cats back that is). The factory x-pipe was fake and restricted the passengers side pipe to 1/2 it's diameter! The factory h-pipe was merely a small hole between the two pipes for scavenging. I had the shop make me a custom high flow x pipe in it's place and even the tips have a 3" inlet. The car is loud as a beast, DEEP TONE!! I love it!! I did it a section at a time as the budget allowed for it. Started with the section from the mufflers back, then from the cats to the mufflers. Was cheaper than a cat back from flowmaster and better x pipe and tips.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Anyone try using the Magnaflow 40 or 44s on the 3.6?
I put Magnaflows on my 3.6 (when I had it), it sounded pretty good except for the drone, it was an automatic. It wasnt deep at all, more like an exotic sound. The only way Flowmasters sound deep (as deep as a v6 can sound) is to use one 2 1/2" Super 44. Nobody listens and always thinks that two 44's will be deeper and louder and they fail! One super 44! It's a v6 and will never sound like a v8 but you can get close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts