Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking to add some ass to my baby. I want to pay for tires every month. It’s a daily driver 2018 scat pack w/shaker 6.4l. My goal is around 600-650HP. I’m leaning towards a twin turbo set up. Just for the what the **** effect! But don’t know much about them. I want to keep the shaker & keep it functional. So if I go supercharger it has to fit I. There. I have a pro charger on a 94 LT1 firebird. But was just looking for something different for the killer Bee. I have heard Magnuson makes a kit to fit what I need but cannot find it. My real questions are. If I go supercharger what needs to be changed to accommodate the boost as far as internals (please be specific, what cam lifters, springs, etc.). If I go twin turbo what’s all involved in that debacle? Lastly, any specific product you’ve used in builds would be a great help. Thanks guys! This may be the most informative site I’ve ever been in

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
With the shaker you can go with the twin turbo, Procharger or Steve White makes a bracket so you can use the Magnuson with your shaker. As you probably know the 6.4 doesn't work well with boost so keep it at 7lbs or less if not forging the short block.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hellion has an interesting twin turbo kit. Mounts under the car so engine bay stays uncluttered.

Boost leads to bigger injectors and sometimes fuel pump mod. depending on how far you go. I would at least add drop-in forged pistons & rods. The crank already comes forged from the factory.

I have a built 426 stroker and am in the process of adding a ProCharger F-1x. Since I still have the stock HP70 trans., we’ll be keeping the wheel H.P. to around 700 on a Mustang Dyno. and see how that goes. I’ll be staying with street tires so they can hopefully act as a fusible link when the power is laid down. There is an upgrade kit for the HP70 to take more power but that appears to cost around $5,500. My engine builder says simply dropping in an HP90 is not very easy to do.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hellion has an interesting twin turbo kit. Mounts under the car so engine bay stays uncluttered.

Boost leads to bigger injectors and sometimes fuel pump mod. depending on how far you go. I would at least add drop-in forged pistons & rods. The crank already comes forged from the factory.

I have a built 426 stroker and am in the process of adding a ProCharger F-1x. Since I still have the stock HP70 trans., we’ll be keeping the wheel H.P. to around 700 on a Mustang Dyno. and see how that goes. I’ll be staying with street tires so they can hopefully act as a fusible link when the power is laid down. There is an upgrade kit for the HP70 to take more power but that appears to cost around $5,500. My engine builder says simply dropping in an HP90 is not very easy to do.
Hellraiser Performance Transmission has a kit to put an HP90 in place of the 70 and the software to make everything happy . depending on your power level it may be cheaper to build your 70.
I have a built 70 from them in my Scat.

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
304 Posts
A couple of vids w/ the Magnuson and the Shaker hood. This is the route I'll go if a 426 stroker kit ain't enough.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
I think that’s the way I would go as well. Kinda stealthy until you romp on it.
The only 2 TT kits I know of for this car is the Hellion and the Granatelli. The Granatelli is very expensive tho at almost $12k. I'm going with a Magnuson kit myself. Make sure you can get good gas in your area if you don't plan on changing pistons/rods.

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
So I’m looking to add some ass to my baby. I want to pay for tires every month. It’s a daily driver 2018 scat pack w/shaker 6.4l. My goal is around 600-650HP. I’m leaning towards a twin turbo set up. Just for the what the **** effect! But don’t know much about them. I want to keep the shaker & keep it functional. So if I go supercharger it has to fit I. There. I have a pro charger on a 94 LT1 firebird. But was just looking for something different for the killer Bee. I have heard Magnuson makes a kit to fit what I need but cannot find it. My real questions are. If I go supercharger what needs to be changed to accommodate the boost as far as internals (please be specific, what cam lifters, springs, etc.). If I go twin turbo what’s all involved in that debacle? Lastly, any specific product you’ve used in builds would be a great help. Thanks guys! This may be the most informative site I’ve ever been in
Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your SPS!

If I were in your shoes, I'd go the twin turbo route. You don't have to pin a crank, you have no parasitic drag on the front of your engine that "Takes horsepower to make horsepower", you can add a Nice boost controller (I like the E-Boost 2, but you can use whatever your preference is) and drive around at 6 psi until you forge the motor. You also never have to worry about breaking a belt. Then to add boost, you change some settings on the boost controller and the wastegate springs (and fuel, tune whatever else is needed). The Hellion kit won't have any effect on your shaker either because as stated, everything is underneath the car.

I also like the power delivery of a turbo better too because what these car need is more low end torque (that was sarcastic because our cars are traction limited already because of the Hemi's Terrific torque output and to add more low end just makes no sense to me) and with the above stated E-Boost 2, you can control traction by using boost by gear, boost by speed and other ways to make your SPS hook up better and the power more manageable.

This is a fact and also my opinion, but you should budget for the Best Tune that you can get! This is regardless of if you go with a blower or a pair of hair dryers (turbos). It will make or break (literally and pun intended :D) your build! If you have a blown LT1 Firebird then you already know this, but it never hurts to say it again.

By the way, you don't need to add any ass to your Baby! She has plenty of that already! You just need to figure out the best way to get her to work what she's got! ;)

Please let us know which way that you decide to go when and if you decide. :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
the issue with turbos, is the lack of good ready to install kits that are'nt price thru the roof
This is very true but the blueprint for how to build one yourself is out there now. So if you can weld you can build yourself a decent enough kit for well under what Hellion and Granetelli has out there. Trust me I’m doing this myself right now in a build thread here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The Hellion kit (comes with headers) is $8,000 which seems to be right in line with most complete supercharger kits once you add the inevitable headers/exhaust.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The Hellion kit (comes with headers) is $8,000 which seems to be right in line with most complete supercharger kits once you add the inevitable headers/exhaust.
Did they add in headers to the kit? I know when I looked at buying it they were using the Mopar SRT8 manifolds with modifications to the bolts.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Did they add in headers to the kit? I know when I looked at buying it they were using the Mopar SRT8 manifolds with modifications to the bolts.

I don’t own the kit but in the description of the kit it says headers are included.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts