Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered this fantastic forum after doing searches for information on new Challengers! My current '98 Mark VIII is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm thinking it's about time for an upgrade. Last year I was lusting after the R/T Classic in blue with black stripes, but I was late in the game and I couldn't find a new one. Then in January I saw the website preview photos of the 2011 R/T Classic in black with red stripes on the side. Since then, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind!!! I love that car! I think as soon as I see one on the dealer's lot, I'll probably sign a contract on the spot.

I think I've got about all the options I want figured out except for the Super Track Pak. I'm not interested in racing my car, but I do like to have good handling especially when I get on some nice country blacktops. But I also don't want a real stiff ride. One of the reasons I really like the Challenger is that I've read that it's a fantastic highway car compared to the new Camaro.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this. (I plan on getting the 6 speed manual).

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not at all...

I have a '10 pcp,stp, 6 speed and it rides like a luxury car and is as quite with stock exhaust as most luxury cars in the cabin.

What the super trak pack does is let a 4200lb car handle really well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I wouldn't let the STP be a deal breaker for you either way unless you ever drive in the snow (STP give you summer tires and as reported on this forum, no snow traction).

You'll already be getting a better suspension then the 2010s and the 6 speed classic already comes with the "track pack."

Good choice on the car BTW. I have the same one on order! It is currently in Windsor sitting on a lot waiting for me!

·
Super Moderator
15,545 Posts
The STP option is well worth it - the stock rear bar (SRT or R/T) is too soft for what this model really needs.

Unless you're inclined, its a bit more work to change the 'standard' rear 16mm bar to a stiffer one - getting the STP option takes care of that and gets the stiffer SRT spec rear Bilstein shocks, plus the SRTs full-off ESP capability. Makes a big difference in corning stability with the larger rear sway bar.

Thus far, the STP option is only offered on R/T models through 2010-2011, not on the SRT8 yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
R/T Classic with STP and 6-Speed here.

The car rides like a dream. I really can't say enough about how pleasant the ride is. Solid and smooth with the added handling if needed. Plus the tires and full off ESP.

You won't regret getting the STP.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i guess it depends on your back! mine does feel stiffer than what i was used to but the handling is great.i have a bad disc and it does sometimes irritate it on rough roads.its a good reason to test drive all they have available too!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,734 Posts
My Classic with STP handles rough terrain excellent and I think the suspension is well balanced as is. If anything, the springs could be a little stiffer, but if you want comfort, I wouldn't mess with anything. Since I've never driven this car without STP, I can't really say how much better it is or isn't, except I've read many stock R/T owners say they wished the suspension was less "floaty", so I wouldn't consider taking a chance by NOT having STP.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....the STP package is definitely worth it IMO. I test drove an R/T without it and found the car way too floaty and felt quite numb. I feel the STP is a nice balance between comfort and handling. I too have bad discs (along with a hip) which is why I got rid of my last little toy. I needed something comfortable yet still "fun enough".

·
Registered
237 Posts
When Ralph Giles was introducing the Mopar 10 he said the super track pack was Dodges most aggressive suspension and also their best kept secret. I have driven mine from Dallas to TN a few times and feel it is an excellant road car and it will allow this 4000 lb plus car to corner like a rat in a drain pipe

·
Registered
681 Posts
Think of the STP option (code AWD) as money well spent.
I wouldn't have my Challenger any other way.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Go with Super Track Pack and never look back :thumbsup:

If you need to drive in snow... buy some cop wheels and snow tires

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have both one with STP,2010 Black Classic,one without, 2010 PCP Classic. The Black one handles better, but I dont like the F1s. They pickup every little piece of Crap on the Road.
Mike

·
Registered
681 Posts
The F1's are definitely sticky but not as good as a drag radial by any means. I have driven quite a bit in snow and ice in Saint Louis and I didn't have too much of a problem so don't let the "summer tire" issue influence your decision.

·
Registered
166 Posts
. I test drove an R/T without it and found the car way too floaty and felt quite numb.

Floaty? I guess it depends what you drove before or what you expect. When we went for the test drive ours ( No STP option) with the salesman in the back and my wife driving "watch how this car handles this curve". She was doing 75 mph as she approached the 90 degree curve, all he had to do was say what he said and to her that was a dare to put her foot to the floor going into the curve......................There was no float..

The curve was 295 south to 42/676 west.

Thats not to say I wouldn't like the STP option, I would. If it made the car handle better and faster but I just can't imagine that

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Floaty? I guess it depends what you drove before or what you expect. When we went for the test drive ours ( No STP option) with the salesman in the back and my wife driving "watch how this car handles this curve". She was doing 75 mph as she approached the 90 degree curve, all he had to do was say what he said and to her that was a dare to put her foot to the floor going into the curve......................There was no float..

The curve was 295 south to 42/676 west.

Thats not to say I wouldn't like the STP option, I would. If it made the car handle better and faster but I just can't imagine that
....floaty, wallowy and just generally soft. ....too soft for my tastes. The non-STP I drove I took around a few corners including cloverleaf on/off ramps. I was really unimpressed to be honest with you.

Like you said though, it really depends on your personal experience and expectations. The super track pack made the car what I thought it should have been from the factory to begin with. It doesn't turn the car into a "stellar handler" IMO (although there are improvements you can make to get you on that path), but it does make for a great balance (for me) between comfort and performance especially for a car of its size/weight.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. Anyone interested in experiencing the difference for themselves should test drive both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a 2011 RT classic with STP, love the handling and ride. Feels great to me. I even have driven in mildly icy/wet road conditions and as long as I go slow its been fine!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2010 HO R/T Classic, 6 spd with the STP. The car handles like it's on rails. And the suspension is set up perfectly. Unfortunately, I have not had the car out due to the winter we've been having in the metro NY area.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I too think the standard R/T suspension is too soft, but it really depends on what you're used to. I'd advise you to drive both a standard R/T and one with the Super Track Pak to see which you prefer.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Get the STP. I've had both set-ups and highly recommend the added level of performance. Just feels like a different car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts