Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
A supercharger in and of itself will not "void" your warranty. The way Chrysler rules on this is that if the non-covered component (supercharger) causes the failure/damage of a covered component, then that covered component will not be repaired/replaced under warranty.

Hope that was clearer than mud.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Ther are also a couple of sc options that are available with an optional driver train warranty

Vortech offers a 3 year 36k drivetrain warranty as an option when speedlogix or another top tier installer does the install.

Magna charger also has optional drivetrain warranty for up to 100k miles with those systems. There are some caveats, like running the supplied tune and pulley, but it does go a long way for peace of kind when installing on a new car for some folks. Feel free to contact us for more details

·
Registered
110 Posts
You are making a major modification to the vehicle, putting it under more stress than the original design. The manufacturer can, and most likely will, void the entire vehicle powertrain warranty. Because of the increased power and torque, I could see this even extending to the body structure, suspension, glass seal leakage, etc. If aware of changes to the vehicle electronics, I could see them denying a claim for sensors, electronic control modules, emissions, etc.

The fact of the matter is, if you are going to make such a major modification, you should expect at least a full powertrain warranty void/flag by the manufacturer (any manufacturer). If this is something that one can not accept the risk (payout to fix broken parts), then it should be left alone.

The vehicle manufacturer extended the warranty based on the factory configuration of the vehicle where the design and testing has shown that the vehicle is not expected to experience significant failure of components. There is no rational argument to expect that they should provide warranty coverage for components that fail from non factory modifications.

The best thing to do, is to get friendly with your local service manger and discuss with him/her to get an understanding of what his/her reaction would be to a warranty claim for something unrelated. For example, there should not be an issue if you had a claim for a failed seat heater, gauge, etc.. However, it is wrong to expect something to be repaired that has failed when associated with the modification.

A warranty is basically a contract between the manufacturer and the owner. They will provide coverage for failures as long as the vehicle is maintained as manufactured, and all of the required maintenance work is performed (and records kept). It goes no further than that.

Fraudulent warranty claims over the years has made life more difficult for everyone, and the manufacturers may sometimes overstep the bounds of reason. When faced with millions in potential fraudulent claims, they had to do something.

As mentioned, getting to know the service manger first is a big part of the issue. When I had my SRT-4, me and my service manger had a clear understanding, he knew exactly what I was going to do to the car, but he also knew I was not going to try and pass off a claim for something I broke.

The stock clutch was toast shortly after the MoPar stage 2 upgrade went in, and I had a ceramic composite Spec 2 clutch installed by the dealer. There was an issue with it not wanting to disengage. Discussion with STAR technicians hinted at a possible issue with the hydraulic actuator for the clutch. They wanted to know upfront WHY the clutch was being replaced, and the SM told them I was having it done, it was not a warranty claim. They were fine after that assurance by the SM. Turned out it was a defect in the clutch disc (high spot) and Spec replaced it.

Even the regional rep had walked though several times and saw mine sitting there with M&H slicks on the front. I never had an issue with a legitimate warranty claim, and they never flagged my vehicle either.

·
Banned
928 Posts
Vortech or Magnacharger offer's a powertrain warranty for an extra fee. Dodge will attempt to void the warranty on your car the moment they see it however so just figure that will be the case. Legally they can;t unless damaged caused to the engine is proven to be that of the supercharger or other installed component, but they will anyway because their legal pockets are much deeper than yours. simple as that

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello, I did some covert research before installing my Maggie, so happens my friend blew up (don't ask) his Cummings turbo Diesel. I asked the warranty guy about a superchargers effects on warranty. He immediately gave me the completely null and void explanation, but I gave him an attitude explaining a faulty fog light has nothing to do with it. He agreed and said well played. He told me that a procharger/vortech would be his choice b/c you can remove the components easy, hence pulling one over on dodge. As an unethical approach, I guess that's a way you can do. I picked the maggie b/c of its good looks and decent power band. I do all my own work so anything that fails is just another weekend project and dent in the wallet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts