Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Challenger R/T 5.7 stock with 84681 miles. I was thinking about boosting it with a supercharged to add 7 to 8 pounds of boost. Then later adding nitrous. My main focus right now is adding the supercharger. Can I supercharge it in the first place? Which one should I buy.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Welcome to the forum. 8 psi is what is considered safe for a 5.7 with stock pistons/rods/crank. Throwing NOS on top of that is a bad idea on a stock rotating assembly. As for which supercharger to buy, it depends on your goals and how you intend to use the car...weekend warrior or all out racer? The choices are turbo, procharger (centrifugal), magnuson (blower), or whipple/KB (compressor). Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Turbo - a little more complicated to install and a little slower to build boost early on but when it does watch out.

Procharger - builds boost/power linearly so easier to get traction off the line, air-to-air intercooler yields lower IATs. Does not require disassembly of the intake but crank should be pinned. Seems to be a good choice for racing.

Magnuson - builds boost instantly so traction from a dead stop will be difficult. It does not whine like a whipple or KB but still makes great power and reliable. Blower unit replaces the intake and crank needs to be pinned. Lots of guys running maggies as a daily driver.

Whipple/KB - similar to a maggie but they tend to make more boost/power and have a pronounced whine like the HC.

If you want to know what kind of power some of these units can produce on a 5.7 check here.

Dyno sheets of built up cars can be found here:

BTW cost of adding a SC will run between $6000 to $8000 depending on the route you take and make sure you upgrade the fuel pump or that it is up to the task to provide fueling for the extra power. Also be prepared to upgrade the driveline along with the brakes. If you want to make the most of the supercharger you will want to run long tube headers and a cam ground for force induction (the 6.2 cam is a great budget cam).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What other modifications would I need to make in order to add NOS on top of boosting it?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
All forged components...probably cheaper to start off with a 6.2 long block or crate. You are also going to have to gut the fuel system and run bigger lines and pump(s). Then you are going to need a better radiator to keep things cool. Then you need to think about the trans, driveline and diff. For the street...supercharger is plenty and you don't have to fill bottles. If you want power on the cheap then Nos is where it is at.

If you are serious about building power and don't have a clue then I would suggest getting these books.

Also do a search on the web, there are all sorts of articles on making big power. Might not be for a 5.7 but still applies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts