Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - noob here. Test drove my first Challenger last night (along with a GT coupe -- tonight is a Camaro SS).

I really love the Challenger by the way. It drives like a big, steady beast. Very stable at high speeds and acceleration - I actually like the fact that it is so heavy and long- feels much better to a big guy like me than the GT did.

I was brainstorming buying a 2010 R/T baseline and super charging it (I am in Denver so I lose about 25% of my horsepower from altitude). While I was googling kits I stumbled upon back-end turbo systems.

Is it possible to have both a Turbo, supercharged '10/'11 dodge challenger? If so would I be correct in assuming a turbo would be more noticable driving off track (in terms of power added)?

seems like a very attractive way to increment a car between the two... $30k baseline roughly +7k, +7k

please excuse my noobiness if the choice is *either* supercharged *or* turbo and not both.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi - noob here. Test drove my first Challenger last night (along with a GT coupe -- tonight is a Camaro SS).

I really love the Challenger by the way. It drives like a big, steady beast. Very stable at high speeds and acceleration - I actually like the fact that it is so heavy and long- feels much better to a big guy like me than the GT did.

I was brainstorming buying a 2010 R/T baseline and super charging it (I am in Denver so I lose about 25% of my horsepower from altitude). While I was googling kits I stumbled upon back-end turbo systems.

Is it possible to have both a Turbo, supercharged '10/'11 dodge challenger? If so would I be correct in assuming a turbo would be more noticable driving off track (in terms of power added)?

seems like a very attractive way to increment a car between the two... $30k baseline roughly +7k, +7k

please excuse my noobiness if the choice is *either* supercharged *or* turbo and not both.
If you are going to consider either option or other major mods, then 2010 is the year for you as there is no tuning for the 2011 models and may be quite some time before it is. That said, I am a turbo fan myself and prefer the control a turbo provides over an SC.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, it is called compound boost and I have done a lot of those setups on Mustangs. I've been dying to do one on a Challenger.

They are fun to drive, you get the instant hit of the roots blower and when the turbo's spool its an entirely new ball game up top in the rpm's.

You cannot however use a screw blower for this, we found this out the hard way 4-5 years ago. The screws are to tight and the back pressure created on the screws will cause the internal seal to blow every time.

Best option for a compound boot setup is a roots setup. I believe Magnuson is the only supplier of roots blowers for the Hemi's so that would be the blower of choice in this setup.

Tim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mr. Mopar - thanks so much for educating me re:2010 as the year for modding. I had no idea. Very helpful.

Tim - do you have a link to the product(s) needed for a roots setup? Am I to understand that it replaces both a turbo charger and a super charger as one install? Very curious and trying to get up to speed on information. Thanks!

edit - nevermind I found it! http://www.magnusonproducts.com/pdf/catalog.pdf

very cool. Hmm...

So to answer my question! Yes! It is possible to have both a supercharged and turbo set up on a 2010 challenger.

Harder and harder to not buy one now.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Better include a built motor for a compound boost setup. So add another $4K - $5K + motor swap labor to your equation. Then you have tuning to consider as well.

I have a buddy with a compound boosted GT500 Mustang. It's nutty. Seems a bit over complicated to me having dual boost systems though. He struggled with intake air temps getting his setup properly, but he now drives it to work every day. Consider the GT500 motor is forged from the factory though and is STOUT.

I'd personally go with the supercharger and call it good. Being new to this as you describe yourself it'd be the simplest solution. Stay below about 8psi of boost, run good fuel (93 octane or better), and get a good tune and the stock motor will be OK. You'll be between 475 and 500 RWHP and have a nice easy to driver reliable car.

Tuning is the key here. It HAS to be good. These motors don't last long at all on bad tunes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Much appreciated advice Speedy. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Can you help me to understand why a new/different motor is needed for the HEMI for compound boosting? Not capable of handling compound boost structurally or is their danger of blowing it out?

Also could I install the dual exhaust turbo charger initially (since it would be less upfront cost by itself) and then at some other point (when I have 11k!) add the supercharger/compound boost separately?

Once the supercharger goes in does the turbo need to be modified?

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts

Can you help me to understand why a new/different motor is needed for the HEMI for compound boosting? Not capable of handling compound boost structurally or is their danger of blowing it out?

Also could I install the dual exhaust turbo charger initially and then at some other point (when I have 11k!) add that separately?
If you going to go for compound boost you will want to forge your internals on the new motor the stock just won't take all that boost.

Yes you could go with a twin turbo set-up on your stock motor and have 490rwhp and still get all the drive ability of the car being stock I did it for almost 1 year so it can be done... your boost level will be between 5 and 6 psi on the turbo.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Yes, it is called compound boost and I have done a lot of those setups on Mustangs. I've been dying to do one on a Challenger.

They are fun to drive, you get the instant hit of the roots blower and when the turbo's spool its an entirely new ball game up top in the rpm's.

You cannot however use a screw blower for this, we found this out the hard way 4-5 years ago. The screws are to tight and the back pressure created on the screws will cause the internal seal to blow every time.

Best option for a compound boot setup is a roots setup. I believe Magnuson is the only supplier of roots blowers for the Hemi's so that would be the blower of choice in this setup.

Tim
Tim, that's something I have been looking at for the past year, After this road trip I'll be changing up my set-up going with some 61's moved up front just not sure of how far up front...:browsmiley:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts

Also could I install the dual exhaust turbo charger initially (since it would be less upfront cost by itself) and then at some other point (when I have 11k!) add the supercharger/compound boost separately?

Once the supercharger goes in does the turbo need to be modified?
The stock motor can't take more than about 8psi of boost. So I guess you could compound boost it if you wanted, but it would be a waste of money. I mean you could have 3psi from your supercharger and another 5psi come on later from turbos, but there's not much point in that as you can just get all 8psi from the blower and call it good (or 8psi from the turbos).

The point of compound boosting is to run high horsepower. You have the supercharger's torque to get you moving quickly, then the the horsepower from the turbos to keep pushing you as speed increases. Unless you're looking for 750+ RWHP there's just not much point other than bragging rights. My buddies GT500 is close to 900 if memory serves.

You could install the turbos and do a blower later as long as you could fabricate a inlet to the supercharger from the turbos. Again, you'd need to have the motor built up for that though. The tune would need to be drastically different as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock motor can't take more than about 8psi of boost. So I guess you could compound boost it if you wanted, but it would be a waste of money. I mean you could have 3psi from your supercharger and another 5psi come on later from turbos, but there's not much point in that as you can just get all 8psi from the blower and call it good (or 8psi from the turbos).

The point of compound boosting is to run high horsepower. You have the supercharger's torque to get you moving quickly, then the the horsepower from the turbos to keep pushing you as speed increases. Unless you're looking for 750+ RWHP there's just not much point other than bragging rights. My buddies GT500 is close to 900 if memory serves.

You could install the turbos and do a blower later as long as you could fabricate a inlet to the supercharger from the turbos. Again, you'd need to have the motor built up for that though. The tune would need to be drastically different as well.

So very very helpful. Thanks again for sharing knowledge with a noob!

So now the only choice is...

Root supercharger or turbo first? :)

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
So very very helpful. Thanks again for sharing knowledge with a noob!

So now the only choice is...

Root supercharger or turbo first? :)
I personally like superchargers due to their near instant torque. However, that is a decision you will have to make based on what you want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts