Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally did it. I put on an Edelbrock E-force Supercharger on my 2012 R/T 5.7. I wish I hadn't. The Kit is designed for a stock car not a modified one. What an expense and waste of time. Even though I got more power (approx 100 at the engine) the hassle and expense to get it to run right just wasn't worth it. Because I had a Cam and long tube headers and no Cats plus a larger throttle body with Volant cold air intake. I had to get a custom tune which cost me $2400 cdn, then I find out the bypass valve spring was too strong so it wouldn't get boost consistently. So that had to be changed. It still needs a final adjustment but it should be good now.
My advice is check every detail before you install a Supercharger on a modified motor regardless of the brand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 R/T
176 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear that man. Thanks for posting. Good advice to keep in mind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What complicated things for me was the fact that I had a Diablo programmer and thought that is what I should go with. However it turns out that shops now use HP software to tune vehicles and not Diablo. HP does a better job of tuning. Since Edelbrock's tunes are for stock engines, their tunes wouldn't work on my modified car so I bought a kit without their tuner, thinking that I would just find a shop that could tune with Diablo.
I found one and they tried to tune remotely. That meant Data logging every tune they sent, this went on for two weeks and nothing really developed, everyone wanted to use HP. I didn't understand the problem so I kept up with Diablo. In the end I found a local shop that would tune my car using Diablo software and my programmer hence the outrageous cost. In hind sight I should have switched to HP and got it tuned, instead I got stubborn and it cost me. I bought a wideband kit from Zeitronix which will connect to my Diablo programmer for readouts and now a boost gauge. I also was told that because I had a Cam and headers I would lose boost from 6 to maybe 4/5 so I bought a smaller pulley wheel, it now turns out that I didn't lose any boost, I have 6.2.
All in all it has been an expensive lesson so I hope this helps those that plan on purchasing an after market Supercharger kit. Check and check every detail before you make your final decision.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
another reason I switch to HP tuners, $600 for the pro-suite kit and I can tune the car myself.
sorry to hear about the supercharger problems, I am looking at getting a maggie or procharger in the future.\

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Sorry for your trouble, but I had Arrington install a Whipple on my R/T last year and everything went fine. The only mods I had, though, were Borla cat-backs and a Mopar CAI.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
108 Posts
Wow! Gixxer!
I know your car and we had similar modification. I too, had been considering supercharging. HP, if I go that route, then. Thanks, for the heads-up. That's a [email protected] of $$$$ on tuning with Diablo.

Regards,
Mark

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I don't want to sound like a butthead, but anyone making a $5000 purchase and not fully researching it is asking for trouble. It's a shame it didn't work out for you - but on the bright side I'm sure you're enjoying the Hellcat :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
One of the reputable tuners in the hemi world would have been able to remote tune that easily and for far less money.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
One of the reputable tuners in the hemi world would have been able to remote tune that easily and for far less money.
the main problem was the DS tuning hurdle, I'm not bashing diablo, but there are many more tuners using / switching to HP tuners for interoperability and ease of use.
Didn't it come with a baseline tune, or was it a "tuner kit"?
When researching the magnuson, it comes with a tune that I would simply tweak for my specific mods.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the main problem was the DS tuning hurdle, I'm not bashing diablo, but there are many more tuners using / switching to HP tuners for interoperability and ease of use.
Didn't it come with a baseline tune, or was it a "tuner kit"?
When researching the magnuson, it comes with a tune that I would simply tweak for my specific mods.
I don't have any experience with HP tuners, but Diablo certainly can/does work for a lot of people with very complex builds high hp builds. A mild blower with bolt ons should have been very easy for a tuner with HP or Diablo. I can see someone without Hemi tuning knowledge having a harder time with it and unfortunately people get fed bad info from tuners who fail and blame it on things like additional simple mods.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I don't have any experience with HP tuners, but Diablo certainly can/does work for a lot of people with very complex builds high hp builds. A mild blower with bolt ons should have been very easy for a tuner with HP or Diablo. I can see someone without Hemi tuning knowledge having a harder time with it and unfortunately people get fed bad info from tuners who fail and blame it on things like additional simple mods.
agreed, but the price for the DS software is up there. A person with moderate knowledge can research how to tune their own vehicle safely and purchase the software suite for less than $650.
I think it's unfortunate that the OP didn't have more options at his disposal, but after re-reading this I see he opted for the kit without the tune from the manufacturer.
With a baseline tune from edelbrock he would have been able to read & tweak it to work with his mods.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
In this scenario it is not the Supercharger fault that kit is capable for 10sec 1/4 mile times with a pulley swap. The end user didn't have the correct info on what needed to be done to accomplish his goal and the shop over charged for a tune that is all. As for the Diablo Vs HP Debate they both still have pluses and minuses when it comes to tuning. But any competent shop should be able to achieve the customers goal with each one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the shop that did the tune also dyno'd it. 450 at the rear wheel. They claim I have the incorrect Cam for the supercharger. It pulls like a regular car until you hit the throttle to the floor, then watch out, the power kicks in and your away like a Bat out of Hell. The Hellcat is so different.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yes the shop that did the tune also dyno'd it. 450 at the rear wheel. They claim I have the incorrect Cam for the supercharger. It pulls like a regular car until you hit the throttle to the floor, then watch out, the power kicks in and your away like a Bat out of Hell. The Hellcat is so different.
that has to be on a mustang dyno, seems low for forced induction.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was on a Mustang dyno. That same dyno recorded 640 rwhp on my Hellcat Challenger. It also recorded 450 rwhp on my Ram1500 truck, it too has been modified with LT headers and no cats and dual Aero Turbine mufflers also a Volant cold air system, and of course a custom tune. I have a feeling from driving my Challenger that the power recorded does not reflect the actual power when you punch the throttle. They all go very very well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts