Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading someone's comment on V6 engines and they said that they cant wait to supercharge their V6 and say it's faster then the Hemi. Is this an accurate statement or no? If so I'm thinking about supercharging mine eventually.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
As long as the Hemi is N/A and you have at least 8lbs of boost. Think old Buick Grand Nationals. They knocked off stock Big Blocks back in the day.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Anything can be made faster than anything. It's all a question of budget.

Reactions: GregCon

·
Registered
786 Posts
At what cost?

Take the retail price of a SXT, then: add in supercharger kit retail cost + installation cost + tune costings + ancillary costings + down time for the SXT to get upgraded and make adjustments, solve issues, etc. = how much total cost?

Is the car really faster? How much is it faster? Is it faster 0-60, 100 yards, 1/4 mile, top end? Many more parts have now been added and with more mechanical complexity - how much more preventative maintenance is now required? Will maintenance needs go up because the owner now psychologically feels compelled to use the supercharger and work the engine harder? With that much modification to the engine, is the buyer willing to eat the costs associated with the loss of engine warranty or was the car purchased out of warranty making the issue moot? There are other costs as well - residual value for resale or trade in, etc.

There are lots of questions and they should be addressed before one delves into such a project.

I'd be inclined to buy a 5.7 Hemi and be satisfied at the increased displacement, horsepower, and torque numbers.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I was reading someone's comment on V6 engines and they said that they cant wait to supercharge their V6 and say it's faster then the Hemi. Is this an accurate statement or no? If so I'm thinking about supercharging mine eventually.
It's really a matter of budget in my mind. I'm a turbo V8 guy but must admit that an inexpensive V6 equipped Challenger with a bolt on supercharger and no other modifications will put the hurt on stock RT's and most stock 6.1 SRT8's.

The Sprintex equipped Challenger we have been playing with went 12.6 the first time to the track with just a supercharger, on pump gas with street tires in the summer heat. Stock RT's that we see at the track in the heat run in the low-mid 13's and the 6.1 SRT's with a canned tune will go 12.7-13.x.

Now for me I'm going to go the SRT route everytime (like my Jeep), modify it and go 10's or quicker - but that's me.

If 12's are quick enough for you then the V6 is definitely worth considering.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The day is coming. Within a few years, there will be no more Hemis, and supercharged V6s will be the R/Ts of the world.

Reactions: Geno22

·
Registered
66 Posts
Clams???

Well frog skins or green backs is in the 7.5-10K range. Difference is the level of boost and how many fuel system upgrades are needed, and that's assuming the wee6 bottom end in stock form can hang together.
The bottom end and stock cast pistons would be my concern. Even the HC has forged pistons and crank and stronger rods.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At what cost?

Take the retail price of a SXT, then: add in supercharger kit retail cost + installation cost + tune costings + ancillary costings + down time for the SXT to get upgraded and make adjustments, solve issues, etc. = how much total cost?

Is the car really faster? How much is it faster? Is it faster 0-60, 100 yards, 1/4 mile, top end? Many more parts have now been added and with more mechanical complexity - how much more preventative maintenance is now required? Will maintenance needs go up because the owner now psychologically feels compelled to use the supercharger and work the engine harder? With that much modification to the engine, is the buyer willing to eat the costs associated with the loss of engine warranty or was the car purchased out of warranty making the issue moot? There are other costs as well - residual value for resale or trade in, etc.

There are lots of questions and they should be addressed before one delves into such a project.

I'd be inclined to buy a 5.7 Hemi and be satisfied at the increased displacement, horsepower, and torque numbers.

Appreciate your input, never thought about a lot of this. I just got my 2016 SXT Plus so I'm new to the game, just trying to learn as much as possible. Completely love my car the way it is but I was just curious as to if this were true and if it would actually be worth it.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Clams???

Well frog skins or green backs is in the 7.5-10K range. Difference is the level of boost and how many fuel system upgrades are needed, and that's assuming the wee6 bottom end in stock form can hang together.
The Stage1 Sprintex system sells for $5495 and is a complete, easy to install kit. The only additional item with the LC is that the hood will need to be modified or replaced to clear the supercharger.

No other modifications are required. The stock fuel system has supported the engine so far to 400+whp on our dyno with no sign of needing a larger system - including running E85.

The V6 even comes with a keyed crank from the factory! Unlike the Hemi's or even the SC'd Hellcat which is odd.

Installation is approximately $700.

As far a durability this Challenger we have has been up and down the east coast from Toronto Canada to Florida and back. Every shop it has stopped at along the way has beat the living daylights out of it. It has been to numerous drag strips and almost 50 hours of dyno time testing fuels like 87, 93, ms109, E85 and c16. All being pushed to the limits numerous times at WOT. This Pentastar V6 is VERY stout.

The added bonus is that it gets better fuel mileage than a Hemi as long as you stay out of the throttle.

It's not a RT or SRT but it sure is a cool, proven option for the V6 owners.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Stage1 Sprintex system sells for $5495 and is a complete, easy to install kit. The only additional item with the LC is that the hood will need to be modified or replaced to clear the supercharger.

No other modifications are required. The stock fuel system has supported the engine so far to 400+whp on our dyno with no sign of needing a larger system - including running E85.

The V6 even comes with a keyed crank from the factory! Unlike the Hemi's or even the SC'd Hellcat which is odd.

Installation is approximately $700.

As far a durability this Challenger we have has been up and down the east coast from Toronto Canada to Florida and back. Every shop it has stopped at along the way has beat the living daylights out of it. It has been to numerous drag strips and almost 50 hours of dyno time testing fuels like 87, 93, ms109, E85 and c16. All being pushed to the limits numerous times at WOT. This Pentastar V6 is VERY stout.

The added bonus is that it gets better fuel mileage than a Hemi as long as you stay out of the throttle.

It's not a RT or SRT but it sure is a cool, proven option for the V6 owners.
$6200 for SC and install is still a lot of cabbage, plus you gotta save some bread for the new hood. But in the end, you could have a V6 car that can really bring home the bacon! I agree, a cool option for V6 owners who need more beans.:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
Think old Buick Grand Nationals. They knocked off stock Big Blocks back in the day.

The same can be said for the 340 engine. It was known as the "giant killer" at the track for all of the big block motors it knocked off. The 4-barrel version was rated at 275 hp, but NHRA factored it up to 325 hp. Back in those days, hp was under-rated for many cars to give them an edge at the drag strip. The trick that was used was to rate the hp at a lower rpm (e.g., in this case, 275 hp at 5,000 rpm vs 325 hp at 6,000 rpm).

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/mopar340.html

·
Registered
215 Posts
The same can be said for the 340 engine. It was known as the "giant killer" at the track for all of the big block motors it knocked off. The 4-barrel version was rated at 275 hp, but NHRA factored it up to 325 hp. Back in those days, hp was under-rated for many cars to give them an edge at the drag strip. The trick that was used was to rate the hp at a lower rpm (e.g., in this case, 275 hp at 5,000 rpm vs 325 hp at 6,000 rpm).

The Mopar 340 V8 high performance engines

Agreed, the 340 was potent. IMHO it was most effective when under the hood of a Dart/ Demon/ Duster. I have many great memories of riding shotgun in my buddies 1971 340 Duster.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Appreciate your input, never thought about a lot of this. I just got my 2016 SXT Plus so I'm new to the game, just trying to learn as much as possible. Completely love my car the way it is but I was just curious as to if this were true and if it would actually be worth it.
Seriously? You just got a 2016 V6 and want to supercharge it and void the warranty? Why? What if it breaks? Can you fix it yourself?

I don't understand people who get the based model vehicle and start considering major bolt-ons that void the warranty. Get a V8 or keep the 6 stockish for the most part to keep that much needed warranty. It is a Dodge ya know.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts