Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I haven't driven a "forced induction small engine heavy car" yet that had good driveability....but then I don't like driving any car that requires you to have your accel pedal on the floor all the time.

Back in the day...sure, there were small cube cars that could beat big block cars...but they were always blown or in light bodies. Or the big blocks were in an especially bad state of tune (or were BB Chevy's which were largely pigs).

Buick GNX? They ran OK but also produced the world's biggest crop of liars ever....I guess every GNX's glovebox came with a guide that said "Tell every one you meet the car is bone stock except for the air cleaner".

And we all know you can't polish a turd. Have you ever looked at the interior of a GNX, or the quality of the car's suspension or body panels? Same goes for the Cyclone/Typhoons.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven't driven a "forced induction small engine heavy car" yet that had good driveability....but then I don't like driving any car that requires you to have your accel pedal on the floor all the time.

Back in the day...sure, there were small cube cars that could beat big block cars...but they were always blown or in light bodies. Or the big blocks were in an especially bad state of tune (or were BB Chevy's which were largely pigs).

Buick GNX? They ran OK but also produced the world's biggest crop of liars ever....I guess every GNX's glovebox came with a guide that said "Tell every one you meet the car is bone stock except for the air cleaner".

And we all know you can't polish a turd. Have you ever looked at the interior of a GNX, or the quality of the car's suspension or body panels? Same goes for the Cyclone/Typhoons.
Those cars you mentioned are rare and performed very well during the weak 80s sports car era. If I had great mechanical skills I would love a Syclone. Such a great sleeper!

·
Registered
215 Posts

I had forgotten about the Cyclone/Typhoons. Brutally quick out of the hole, decent handling (especially for a truck) and not bad looking in their day. Now the interior of a GN looks kinda cheesy. I thought the interior of Monte SS of the same vintage always looked better.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
"I would love a Syclone."

LOL...that's only cuz you haven't owned one! I guess my point is...Ignore the powertrain for a moment, and the rest of the vehicle is miserable. It's like they were 8 years old already they day they were shipped.

·
Registered
186 Posts
"I would love a Syclone."

LOL...that's only cuz you haven't owned one! I guess my point is...Ignore the powertrain for a moment, and the rest of the vehicle is miserable. It's like they were 8 years old already they day they were shipped.
Oh I know better than to buy 1. I hear they will be on jackstands quite often. I don't care about the interior. It's just a rare truck and an odd combo. Turbo V6 AWD truck that whooped on the Vette back then!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Seriously? You just got a 2016 V6 and want to supercharge it and void the warranty? Why? What if it breaks? Can you fix it yourself?

I don't understand people who get the based model vehicle and start considering major bolt-ons that void the warranty. Get a V8 or keep the 6 stockish for the most part to keep that much needed warranty. It is a Dodge ya know.
I think it's awesome when people make their cars unique by modding them, heck i voided my powertrain warranty after 4k miles, and would have done it sooner if tuning wasn't held by those idiots at FCA who encrypted the PCM.

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
It all boils down to .............."If you want to play, you gotta pay" :)

As already stated, just be aware of the real cost of adding a SC, and ending up with a modified car. The car will be "special", and maybe even one of a kind, and that's cool, but everything is "on you" at that point, everything.

You have to be in the financial position to have zero problems paying out for the worst that can happen in a repair on a car like this. If you can't, you have no car! Something to seriously consider. You can't think that "this won't happen," you have to think, "this can happen, and how will I handle it."

Not a thing wrong with modding, and my hats off to those who do, but it's not for everybody. You just have to look at the "big picture" and make the decision.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Seriously? You just got a 2016 V6 and want to supercharge it and void the warranty? Why? What if it breaks? Can you fix it yourself?

I don't understand people who get the based model vehicle and start considering major bolt-ons that void the warranty. Get a V8 or keep the 6 stockish for the most part to keep that much needed warranty. It is a Dodge ya know.

Lol wasn't at all about to do it now. I was talking about the future, but if you read what I wrote it was just a question. I don't race or anything was just interested. This is my first Challenger and first car that I actually went out and bought on my own so excuse my excitement.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd just wait 5-6 years until your car is paid off, by then late model 5.7/6.4 motors will be cheap and readily availible, and then drop one of those in and supercharge it. They are decreasing in value as we speak. I can see complete used low mileage 392's going for around $2-3k by then. It'll be worth the wait to get it done that much cheaper. Unless you have $$$$$ and want it right now, crate 392's are going for $8k now, 5.7's for $5k. It's a better option than trying to build that V6 that you'll never really be truely happy with.

Reactions: DanChristopher

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'd just wait 5-6 years until your car is paid off, by then late model 5.7/6.4 motors will be cheap and readily availible, and then drop one of those in and supercharge it. They are decreasing in value as we speak. I can see complete used low mileage 392's going for around $2-3k by then. It'll be worth the wait to get it done that much cheaper. Unless you have $$$$$ and want it right now, crate 392's are going for $8k now, 5.7's for $5k. It's a better option than trying to build that V6 that you'll never really be truely happy with.

That makes sense, appreciate you...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
The 5.7/6.4 swap will cost you significantly more than an easy to bolt on supercharger. Keep in mind that if you try to convert your V6 to a V8 Hemi you will need a new transmission, driveshaft, wiring harness, computer and misc other items. If you are going that route just by a V8 equipped car.

Saturdays testing with the new Stage1 Sprintex kit on a Challenger yielded 393whp! That's equivalent to a stock 6.4 SRT on our dyno. No other mods! Just bolt on a SC and go.

I'm still a V8 guy but that is impressive.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
The 5.7/6.4 swap will cost you significantly more than an easy to bolt on supercharger. Keep in mind that if you try to convert your V6 to a V8 Hemi you will need a new transmission, driveshaft, wiring harness, computer and misc other items. If you are going that route just by a V8 equipped car.

Saturdays testing with the new Stage1 Sprintex kit on a Challenger yielded 393whp! That's equivalent to a stock 6.4 SRT on our dyno. No other mods! Just bolt on a SC and go.

Saturdays testing was that on a customers car? And you say NEW stage 1, what changed from the "old" stage 1?

Was that 393 hp just from a downloaded tune off the handheld or was that tweaked by you to get the 393.

Details, help, those of use that are about ready to purchase know what we are getting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Does anyone know if the Dodge dealership would actually install the SC for you or would you have to go somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Saturdays testing was that on a customers car? And you say NEW stage 1, what changed from the "old" stage 1?

Was that 393 hp just from a downloaded tune off the handheld or was that tweaked by you to get the 393.

Details, help, those of use that are about ready to purchase know what we are getting.
The new Stage1 kit includes larger injectors. The tune is the one I am developing for Sprintex and will be the one that downloads to the handheld when you purchase one of these units in the future. This was on the Sprintex Challenger.

Does anyone know if the Dodge dealership would actually install the SC for you or would you have to go somewhere else?
I would guess the dealers would not install this and you will need to go to a performance shop for this install - although it is very simple if you are mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Wow that is indeed impressive. I love the underdogs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The only additional item with the LC is that the hood will need to be modified or replaced to clear the supercharger.

Glad to see you on the forum! I've been looking for more info on this S/C since they listed the 2015's on the site last year, but had no real info on it.

What exactly do you mean by "modified" ? By replaced I assume you mean with the hellcat hood or equivalent, which is what $700 on top of the other expenses? I'm asking because this is a mod that I'm going to get after I'm done with my other mod's, and the sprintex is the only (?) twin screw S/C out for our cars, not to mention the best looking S/C out right now. :grin2:

·
Registered
215 Posts

393whp is VERY impressive for a V6. Although I thought a 6.4 SRT put down closer to 430whp? Maybe it wasn't on a mustang dyno, but I do remember seeing it a few times.

Again, very impressive hp and cool option for the V6 owners.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Glad to see you on the forum! I've been looking for more info on this S/C since they listed the 2015's on the site last year, but had no real info on it.

What exactly do you mean by "modified" ? By replaced I assume you mean with the hellcat hood or equivalent, which is what $700 on top of the other expenses? I'm asking because this is a mod that I'm going to get after I'm done with my other mod's, and the sprintex is the only (?) twin screw S/C out for our cars, not to mention the best looking S/C out right now. :grin2:
A stock Challenger hood will not close with the SC on. I was given a picture of a template for cutting the hood. You will need to fabricate a scoop or buy an aftermarket hood like the Hellcat knock off.

393whp is VERY impressive for a V6. Although I thought a 6.4 SRT put down closer to 430whp? Maybe it wasn't on a mustang dyno, but I do remember seeing it a few times.

Again, very impressive hp and cool option for the V6 owners.
I don't race dyno's - Just ET's.
I think someone recently posted up that they went 12.5 in a completely stock 2015 6.4 SRT wiht DR's. I believe that is the quickest I have seen a stock, non-tuned 6.4 go so far. So that's right there with the Sprintex Challenger at 12.6 on street tires.

However, the Sprintex Challenger will be significantly quicker next time out :) - and still a completely stock V6!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't race dyno's - Just ET's.
I think someone recently posted up that they went 12.5 in a completely stock 2015 6.4 SRT wiht DR's. I believe that is the quickest I have seen a stock, non-tuned 6.4 go so far. So that's right there with the Sprintex Challenger at 12.6 on street tires.

However, the Sprintex Challenger will be significantly quicker next time out :) - and still a completely stock V6!
I believe you are right, 12.5 may be one of the quicker NON-TUNED 6.4's. One of the quicker TUNED 6.4s ran 12.17 w/DR's and Hellcat airbox mod. Its posted in tracktalk section.

Kenne Bell dynoed a stock 2015 6.4 A8 at 434whp. Not sure if it was on a mustang dyno or not.

Not taking anything away from the performance of the blown V6. As previously stated, almost 400whp is VERY impressive from that engine. I also agree that adding a blower to the V6 makes WAY more sense than doing a 5.7 or 6.4 swap.

If a choice was to be made between buying a V6 car and adding the blower vs just buying a 6.4 equipped car to begin with, IMO the 6.4 car is the better choice. Even if the blown and tuned V6 put out the same hp as a bone stock 6.4, there is now little to no cost savings between the two cars. The V6 car still has the weaker trans, diff, axles and smaller brakes. The 6.4 car will bring more cash at trade/sale. If someone already owns a V6 car, and wants V8 performance, the blower seems like a decent way to go. If not, IMO, there are better V8 options.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That power output from a V6 is impressive, but there were quite a few low 12 and even some high 11 slips from A8 392 owners before tuning was even available.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts