Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: GreatAmerican

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Some of it may be. I would expect a supercharged v10 viper in the near future. Probably around 800hp or possible more. Perhaps go from 640 to 840?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm all for it!!

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
They should turbocharge it.
Oof, I don't think very many would make it beyond 100 miles before being wrecked if they did that. Turbo lag and then the sudden rush of power would send the car in a random direction. :D At least a supercharger gives somewhat linear power output with no real surprises.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
They already have a 800 hp non-supercharged crate v10... so they have the ability to hit 800 without SC, but who knows.

I had heard many times that no, they're not going that way. Doesn't mean they may not test the options though, they'd be stupid not to look at both and chose the more viable.

The issue isn't hitting 800, that's easy all things being equal when you have a V10 and proper compression to play with. The hard thing is passing emissions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been wondering about the Viper. They can't have something in the lineup putting out more power than the Viper. I'd bet the next viper will have FI and more power.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me in the least, and it's probably the best route for them to go. Unfortunate to hear they probably won't be offering the 8-speed. It would go a long way with sales, being that it would put it, technically speaking, in the same league as all of the other supercars that have lightning-quick paddle-shifted gearboxes.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
No turbos, no care

·
Registered
404 Posts
No turbos, no care
This might be a stupid question but can someone briefly explain the difference between a turbo and a supercharger?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Seems like Team Viper will want to top the 650 hp in new Z06 and also the Hellcat. Not sure if they will need a supercharger to beat 707 hp?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The simple explanation is that a supercharger forces air (and extra fuel) through the top of the motor into the combustion chambers to provide boost, each design performs the task a little differently and applies boost in different ways, such as the twin screws like KB provide boost throughout the entire rpm band. Others like the Pro Charger tend to pull harder on the top end. The procharger to me looks like a turbocharger that is belt driven. The disadvantage is that they are belt driven and generate some parasitic drag on the motor (boost more than makes up for it though) The advantage is that boost starts at idle and builds from there, tends to make launching the car a bit tougher.

The Turbocharger uses the hot exhaust gasses to spin a small turbine wheel that spins the turbos to build boost. There is little to no parasitic loss with the turbo, but it takes some few seconds to build boost enough to kick in and push the car faster. Many label this turbo lag. In essence, on a turbo car, boost usually starts about 1800-2200rpm and boosts up to 5000 or up to redline if set up right. My stock turbos on my stealth would roll off boost at about 5500 and boost would drop a little from there to redline, but by then you were going way too fast to care.

The fallacy with turbo lag is that any motor with a lot of low end torque won't feel any lag whatsoever as the motor itself is plenty powerful to get it off the line and to the 60 foot mark easy enough, by then the turbos (if sized properly-the bigger you go, the higher rpm it takes to feel the boost) easily pick up the power and it builds very quick. Turbos tend to be more efficient than superchargers are, and usually make more horsepower than a supercharger will. Both types really need to have a forged bottom end to handle the power generated. For street cars, two small turbos work best, for racers, one bigger one is usually used.

Reactions: ESOLO

·
Registered
592 Posts
The fallacy with turbo lag is that any motor with a lot of low end torque won't feel any lag whatsoever as the motor itself is plenty powerful to get it off the line and to the 60 foot mark easy enough, by then the turbos (if sized properly-the bigger you go, the higher rpm it takes to feel the boost) easily pick up the power and it builds very quick. Turbos tend to be more efficient than superchargers are, and usually make more horsepower than a supercharger will. Both types really need to have a forged bottom end to handle the power generated. For street cars, two small turbos work best, for racers, one bigger one is usually used.
My Volvo 850 Turbo wagon (LPT) didn't make any appreciable boost until about 3500-4000 rpm, making it quite slow off the line. I think it also had a maximum output of about 7psi.

The twin-scroll in my Mini Cooper S starts boosting at 1800 through redline. There's still some lag coming off the line, but it ramps up quickly and smoothly and maxes its boost somewhere in the neighborhood of 11psi. I'm quite happy with this setup.

Before this, I thought sequential turbos were the best setup - at least in theory...one small one to build up quickly with a wastegate that feeds into a larger turbo for high rpm work when the exhaust gasses begin to build up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Reportedly, the first time the Viper V-10 engine was fired up and run on the dyno it made about 750 hp. But was detuned for emission purposes. That was a number of years ago. They may possibly could get such an engine to pass emissions na. I would turbocharge it myself if it were my decision.
About 10 years ago or maybe a little earlier there was a guy that had developed and was selling a mds system for the Viper's V-10 out in Cali. I talked to the guy. He said it obviously didn't have the power it did on all 10 cylinders around town but there was still plenty of grunt to move it around in city traffic. And if you needed more it was there in the blink of an eye if you mashed the go pedal down. I often wondered if this is where Chrysler got its MDS system from for the hemi.

·
Registered
166 Posts
deathtrap.

in for an orange s/c TA viper.

Reactions: SRTfan
1 - 18 of 18 Posts