Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys yesterday go to drag strip and have a very difficult time try go do the 60 feet i start stall from 1800 rpm to 3200 and the best was 1.968 all the other 2.09 and over i have Hossier 28x11.5 Quick Time Pro and have 498 rwhp and 498 rwtq. How you Launch a 6 Speed? Please put engine, supercharger type, tire and launch technique. Here are some guys run lowest 60'.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
336 Posts
My best was 1.71 60ft. I didn't have much of a technique tho...rev to 4,000 rpm and let the clutch fly, hang on, and shift! The tires did spin a little, but I didn't snap a half shaft (yet). I did try it once at 3,000, but it bogged a little. My mods are in my sig and I borrowed a set of Hoosier 28x10 slicks. I only got 3 good runs in and there was a strong head wind...hence the 110.5 trap speed. Now I have my own slicks and will work on my technique more at CF2!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the info are you running slicks with stock axles without problem and launch at 4,000 rpm that is awesome. I make a data log on all my run and see if i put the rpm to 2500 when the clutch apply down 800 rpm to 1680 rpm . If you say launch at 4000 you after apply the clutch was in the 3200 rpm. Or you go to 4800 to launch at 4000. Congratulation very nice ride and awesome 60 feet with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thank for the info are you running slicks with stock axles without problem and launch at 4,000 rpm that is awesome. I make a data log on all my run and see if i put the rpm to 2500 when the clutch apply down 800 rpm to 1680 rpm . If you say launch at 4000 you after apply the clutch was in the 3200 rpm. Or you go to 4800 to launch at 4000. Congratulation very nice ride and awesome 60 feet with a 6 speed.
Yes, slicks with stock axles. I have been lucky so far, but like I said I only made three good runs. I held the rpm's at 4,000 on the starting line and then just side stepped the clutch. I really don't think that my stock axles will hold up to that kind of abuse for very long, but I want to wait until there is a for sure fix to axles snapping before i purchase some. I plan to try some different rpm's and letting the clutch slip a little from the hole at CF2 and see if I can improve my 60 ft times. Good luck!

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
One question is whether your supercharger is a centrifugal (e.g. Vortech or ProCharger) or a positive displacement blower (Kenne Bell, Techo or Magnuson). Big difference getting off the line since the centrifugal doesn't provide much boost until higher in the rpm range so it's a much better SC for drag racing.

I have a Magnuson and have only raced with NT555Rs (not a great drag radial IMO). My best 60 ft was 1.84. I launch at 2000-2500 and I feather the clutch. The key for me is not watching the lights and forgetting about the reaction time. If I simply leave when I'm ready, then my 60 ft times and my 1/4 mile times are much better. Also, I need to heat the 555R's pretty good in the burnout box in order to get some traction.

I'll be trying my M&H's DR's in the next 6-8 weeks and I'm hoping to drop my 60 ft times by one to two tenths.

HemiSam

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
as Mark stated he had tire spin and that's his fuse to save the stock axles, once you plant the rearend and get no spin your in trouble with these big girls and the IRS rears. biggest problem is the bog that you feel it takes lots of practice and patience or it gets very costly. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have positive type magna and when i put to 2500 rpm no really bug feel but the 60 and 330 are really bad and i made 91 plus mile in the eight mile, the problem is the 0 to 60 kill me.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I launch at 2000-2500 and then give it throttle and slowly pull out the clutch (i.e. feather the clutch). The key is not letting the nose of the car drop, while not spinning the wheels too much. It's hard...

HemiSam

P.S. if I had Hoosiers, I'd be launching at a higher RPM too.

·
Banned
642 Posts
My best 60ft with my 6 speed was 1.68

That was with a 17" hoosier slick. I hold the rpm's at 3,000 and when the light turns I side step the clutch and put the hammer down. I know I am on borrowed time with the stock axles and will have DSS parts in before Challengerfest. I get no bog and do not feel any tire spin. Pulls very hard!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i drove the RAM clutch this weekend and managed a 1.8 sixty out of her on the 1st pass on the 20 inch wheels with nt05s on them..

pick an rpm 2000 to 6000 (till you get better) launch the car by slipping the clutch, not mashing the gas.. dropping the clutch should be a 1 2 3 move not a 1 once you are at 2 (midway) nail the gas.. you should already be grabbing.. Since this worked well with a 620 plus hp 6 speed.. i think your maggies and kb's will be fine also...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys i think plumKrazy and TA340 have the better 6 speed lauch and 0 to 60 times. Really i like my 6 speed but get out the hole is very difficult and as you say need a lot of practice. Anyone do a log when shift wot? because when i see my log in all the 1/8 mile pass every time i shift the throttle % go from 76% to 6 % and i am sure that i never lift my feet from the gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i soooooooo waaannnna try some slicks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a friend with a set of 28x10 hoosier slicks i only have to find a set of cobra 17x9 wheels to try. The worse have been go home in a flatbed with the two axle broke. The good do a 1.7 in the 60 feet. PlumKrazy and TA340 what is the hight Rpm you have try in a lauch after the Supercharger?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
3k to 4k but ive been experimenting with 5500 here as of late... just need a little more grip,,, my 1.70 was at 4k

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
275 45 18 last trip
275 40 17 before

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you better your time and 60 feet with and increase in the tire diameter? Both tire are the same brand and compound? Sorry about too much questions but is the only way to don't do a mistake the next week when go to the dragstrip.

Thanks a lot:notallthere:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts