Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supercharger folks, does the weather have any effect on how your car runs? With the outside temps dropping I was curious. I am on the fence on SC my SRT!

Thanks in advance for your info.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a 6 psi Maggie on my SRT. As we all know, cold weather wakes these beasts up quit a bit anyway, but with the supercharger it seems like it wakes up a bit more. I have had no issues in 15* temps. I also have the performance tires and they will lose traction pretty easy if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Cold weather will make more power especially with a supercharged application.

The only thing to double check is the AFR in your tune. Cooler air compresses more and is more dense so you can pick up a psi or so of boost which can affect the tune.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I am not nearly as knowledgeable on engines and tuning as some others on the forum, but yesterday morning it was -17 F here and my car started and ran fine. It does turn over ever-so-slightly harder because of the extra parasitic load, but so far no problems with the cold.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No problems Here

It dipped down to the teens for the last 3 nights here on Long Island,NY & She starts right up in the morning & drives like normal.We even had a little snow thrown in to make it interesting.:thumbsup:
If you keep your 180 thermostat with the S/C,it might slow up your warmup & eventually throw a cel.Mine did last winter & out it went.I have found that the stock one works just fine with the S/C.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the info. I really appreciate it. Interesting point about the 180deg thermostat. In KS we can get sub zero, so I was concerned.
The SC is going to be my winter project. Prob early spring.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cold weather or not you should always let your engine warm up to it's operating temp before you get into boost. So if its super cold it may not warm up for awhile and I would keep a soft throttle until it does. That is the great thing about the SC's on the market is they drive stockish until you hit 50% throttle or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts