Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i am putting this in this thread only because all the companys say BOLT ON.

I just wanted to pass along my thoughts on the install and maybe pass along some things that don't get brought up.

1st off i went with a magnuson kit.. I got a deal on a used one that is the new style case that is why i went that route. was going to do a kenne belle. Anyhow let me start by saying that YES anyone with any mechanical ability can do this but you must be PATIENT.. ( one down fall of me lol ) one know issue from magnuson is the spacing of there idlers. all the kits seam to be different. I lucked out and the kit i got was installed at arrington originally so they had all the spacers done and a spacer for the pulley so all the brackets lined up.

One issue i have with this is the fact that you have to ( or at least i did ) extend all the wireing harnesses.. throttle body harness. map sensor harness. and air intake sensor harness.. I tried to pull the loom back on the factory harness to get them all to reach but the gorilla tape they use is really tuff stuff and it was easier to cut splice and solder them longer for a cleaner install.

You really need to pull the hole nose off the car. and let me warn you.. there are 4 bolts that basically hold the nose on and 2 are a PAIN IN THE A$$ to get to.. 1/4 drive with 12" extensions and swivels.. plan on a rivet gun kit and rivets to replace after you put the nose back on.

the blower itself is easy. pull off the old intake put it up more or less. plug stuff in.. on the maggie you have to use a 2 bar map sensor not a 3 and you have to do a little filing to make it fit the factory plug. again not sure why they can't do better than this for what ever reason.

No the fuel tank.. WITH OUT A DOUBT THIS WAS THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF THE KIT FOR ME. what a absolute PAIN IN THE A$$.. i got the duel fuel hat pump. luckly again the kit i got had most of the wiring done from arrington. otherwise it would be even more of a pain.there is no room to work. IF i hadn't gotten this pump with the kit WITH OUT QUESTION i would have went with there new single pump compitition set up. much less work. 2 i wires to do. ( NOTE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A 1/4 TANK OR LESS i learned the hard way and that made it harder as i had over 1/2 tank of fuel )

my one peve is the plugs.. why can't they have a PLUG AND PLAY PUMP.. ford and chevy aftermarket has them.. not dodge though ohhh no.. you have to take apart your factory plug hope you don't kill it in the process and use it on the new pump.. a pain.. then the wireing harness you have to splice into and run that to the fuse panel in the back.. again FOR ME this was the hardest part..

The coolant overflow tank on the maggie is a joke.. ugly. bad location ect.. i am going to go with a different tank to clean things up and move it.. i ordered a petty 4 bar strut brace they say will clear it only to find out it don't and after sending it back yesterday and talking to frank i found out they have a bracket that moves the coolant tank FORWARD on the car so it will clear it. just some food for thought if you go this route.

i am sure i am missing alot. i don't want to right a book. my major complaint with all of this is for the money people spend on these things they should be COMPLETE.. you shouldn't have to splice here to make this fit. adapt this ect.

anyhow just want to give my thoughts and if anyone has questions let me know i will do what i can to answer them as best i can.

here is one pic i don't have a strut brace on it yet. i am going to move the coolant can so that will be gone but you get the idea.

chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Thanks for the write up Chris. It's been my experience that almost NOTHING aftermarket on our cars really goes on as smoothly as the manufacturer claims. Bolt on SHOULD mean bolt on.

Looks like you are close to getting it all installed though, and hopefully once it's all working the new found power will be worth all the hassle.

Going to plan a trip to visit sometime to see it in action.

All you need is tires and find a way to control wheel hop.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
couldn't agree more luke.. just don't get why with most dodge stuff it seams to be more WORK per say than if it was the other two.. but anyhow i am close to done.

jay COME ON DOWN. oh wait.. it is snowing LOL!! never mind
gotta wait till spring

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I also have just completed a Maggie install on a 2010 RT. I researched heavily before buying any kit. I downloaded the install manual that is (was?) on the Speedlogix website a year after I decided to get the maggie and read it over and over again. I had planned from the get go to install myself and wanted to be sure it was something I could handle. On my install, i only had to extend two harnesses. One was the IAT that was basically a plug and play with the new extension harness. the other was the MAP which was basically just cutting some tape off the stock harness and allowing the stock harness to reach the MAP sensor. I will agree the filing of the Map sensor was a joke and that the sensor should have been installed at the Magnasun factory. Other than that, the only problem, I had was the pinning of the crank. I did not pull the front end off, as the instructions did not require me to do so. If I had a lift, seeing the holes I had drilled would have been easier. As it was, I did my install with jack stands and had to feel where the pins went, and dropped them quite a few times before getting it right.
I also do not like where the IC reservoir goes, but, I also knew where it was to be mounted before I bought the kit, due to the research I had done.
Overall, the kit, described as a "bolt-on" is just that - a "bolt-on" kit. It also does what it advertises.
I have no comment on your problems with the fuel hat, as it is not required with a basic kit and I did not purchase one. The strut bar issue is just plainly a case of the salesman not being truthful with you. My Petty strutbar, which is a different style than yours, fits with no problems (well, a little interference with the oil seperator, but not anything that can't be adjusted).
Sorry to hear you are not completely satisfied with your install. it does look good though!.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
There are some things that should be corrected in the install manual. One is that removing the stock crank bolt requires a 21 mm socket. Then it goes on to referring to a 22 mm socket. The actual socket needed is a 22 mm socket. I was able to get by with a standard (no deep) socket and a breaker bar. As I had no sockets that large, i went to Autozone and bought one of each and then returned the one not needed, Not a deal breaker but an aggravation none the less.
The other thing is that they could better mark which hoses go where. This wasn't all that big of a deal, as they are marked in bags that state (Intercooler) or (oil seperator), and just taking them and placing them where they are supposed to go before the actual cutting and install, was enough for me to figure it out. It is something a little marking by the factory could save some time and aggravation, though. I also noted minor differences between the install manual I had downloaded, compared to the one sent with the kit. neither were entirely accurate and my install was a combination of both books. Again, not something that couldn't be figured out with some common sense, but aggravating none the less.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh it is a great thing for sure. I guess i just have higher expetations for things that cost that much. They spend all this time on design of the blower and such and skimp on plugs and somewhat unclear directions and you would think as long as this has been out it would be perfected by know.. specially considering the cars havent changex very much at all

Oh well bout done just got to tidy up some things i dont care for

sent from mobile device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts