Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are a million threads on this forum about superchargers. but most of them are hijacked and i honestly just dont feel like reading through all the bs to find a minimal amount of info that helps me. My r/t is pretty much a daily driver for me unless weather conditions are ****ty, but getting to the point im looking for a sc... ive done a good amount of research on all the well known manufacturers and from what ive seen id like to go with a twin screw set up over a centrifugal... the price isnt really a concern to me they're all relatively expensive. but i need something reliable that can have some miles put on it if im going to void my warranty. so depending on everyones input im down to use either type. Oh and to up the stakes my younger brother just bought a fagmaro yesterday so i need to sc so i can stomp his ass :bigthumb:
All suggestions will help just please dont hijack

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
centrifugal i run a vortech.. easier to manage easy to change oil.. less low end power than a PD blower but a v3 or pro charger cant be beat.. I lost about 2 mpg on the freeway with a 170 hp increase.. I dont care who says different.. The centri is the way to go.. I now drive my car for pleasure becuse I have a crv for daily.. but i did drive it daily supercharged.. never an issue 4k miles so far.. stop and go

17 mpg in town 25 to 27 on the free way..

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Kenne Bell, have Brent or Tim Tune it and put Tims WOT box on it. You will stomp everyones arse.
Just got back from a nice long drive with my 17psi Kenne Bell daily driver, without that WOT box it would'nt happen with 17psi.
Go get a Bell bro you'll love it and you'll whip every Maggie on the street or the Track, matter of fact I think Tim at Mr. Norms is the only guy that can do a Bell on a 5.7

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
not everyone wants a monster daily Jon..lol

but for the most part all bow to KB on the track

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've said it many times, putting a blower on a stock new generation hemi is risky business... even with safe tunes and low (5-6) PSI, I've heard of many engines going bye bye after 1000 miles and after 15000 miles... its just not safe, IMO. Anyone care to offer a differing opinion?

·
Premium Member
11,800 Posts
I've said it many times, putting a blower on a stock new generation hemi is risky business... even with safe tunes and low (5-6) PSI, I've heard of many engines going bye bye after 1000 miles and after 15000 miles... its just not safe, IMO. Anyone care to offer a differing opinion?
We installed the very first production Vortech kit on our shop Charger SRT8.

Over 35k on the blower and over 75k on the motor, driven everyday :thumbsup:

Sold MANY Vortech kits that are being used on stock blocks and are lasting WAY longer than 1000 miles...and sold many to guys that have over 30 thousand on the stock block as well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've been running a maggie on my 5.7 Charger for about 3K miles. Daily driver. I've done a couple 1 1/2 hour road trips up north (one to Stack Performance for the tune). I netted out about +125 RWHP with the SC/SRT8 headers & cats/Rotofab CAI/and Stack Performance tune ( @451HP/470Torque). Very fun to drive - expecially if you like the SC whir.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha thanks guys... yea i guess its just gonna be trial and error. its funny bc if i went twin i was goin with the kenne and if not i was gonna go with the vortech. so damn.. idk i think im leaning towards the KB though. but you all have me wondering whether the whole thing is even worth doing if theres such a good chance of blowing the motor

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have the odd ball. I own a Techco twin screw and have over 22k on the car. 12k on the engine and have had no problems whatsoever. I crave the instant power and have had leaf blowers in the past. Hands down I like the power of the pd better. Do not get me wrong the centrifical blowers are a very nice unit. I just like the idea of tapping the throttle and having the car instantly change directions.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
i say go pro charger stage 2 its instant power after 1500 rpm and builds boost through the rpm range. its crazy addicting! and very fast

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not sure of any of my customers that went pop pop running a Vortech kit that I sold. But I guess you do? ;)
LOL.....Do a search maybe that will refresh your memory
While not Speedlogix folks, I know of at least 3 dudes who's engine went kaput from the v-blower... with the tune supplied in the kit!

Blowers on stock modern hemi engines is a crap shoot, good/safe tune or not.

·
Premium Member
11,800 Posts
While not Speedlogix folks, I know of at least 3 dudes who's engine went kaput from the v-blower... with the tune supplied in the kit!

Blowers on stock modern hemi engines is a crap shoot, good/safe tune or not.
Were these 5.7L cars? If so, there is not a tune supplied by Vortech :)

If it was a 6.1 - I would like to see what happened, so many variables. I am not saying that a Vortech is 100% safe...NOTHING is. But they are pretty safe with a good tune and they are maintained/installed correctly.

·
Premium Member
11,800 Posts
Mike your a good guy and your company supports the LX Nationals but several cars with Tims e-mail tunes have gone kaboom 1 recently, theres a complete thread all about the car that you yourself posted in.
Wasn't trying to argue with you at all, just clarifying my statement. I know of the failures on the site recently. But I said one of my customers :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
To the OP: remember ONE thing, my friend, about cars... they are money pits and everyone is out to make a buck... even the best vendors will sell you what you want, depsite the risks involved. The GOOD vendors will offer a warranty, the GREAT vendors will actually FULFILL the warranty if something goes wrong without making you jump through hoops, and you best hope that even these GREAT vendors are in business when things go south for your mod.

There are MANY folks with various brands of blowers who've had no problems... there are a minority of folks who have had problems, even with the supplied kits/tunes... is it worth the risk? Only you can answer that queston.

Don't get fed a line of BS by someone trying to sell you something... just like when dealing with a car dealership... no different. They're trying to sell you something for a profit.

I'm not saying vendors are bad, but just be careful.

Best route if you must have a blower: forge your engine internals, boost cooling ability and get the proper gauges to monitor the system... or else you could experience a catastrophic failure. And get all this done by a shop that has a near excellent satisfaction reports on these and other forums.

To be honest, I've heard good things about Speedlogix and many vendors on these forums... but that doesn't mean THEY can determine for YOU what an acceptable risk is.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.