·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,605 Posts
Reactions: stevewhite

·
Registered
68 Posts
5.7L will live very well on 8 psi of boost, especially with a Magnuson which is no where near as violent as a KB or Whipple
Hi Luke, could you please explain that? Is that because the KB & Whipple make more power than the Magnuson? Or does the boost come on differently with those two?

·
Vendor
12,386 Posts
the KB and Whipple deliver instant type boost where as the Magnuson delivers gradual boost, designed to deliver boost at a certain rpm
the Magnuson also produces significantly less heat then the other two which is a big part of engine failures

Reactions: spenbass

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,299 Posts
Just some more details. A KB and Whipple are screw type blowers in that they use a set of interleaving internal rotors to draw in and compress air within the supercharger itself. Magnuson and Edelbrock are roots type which are simply large air pumps. They pull air in and compress it in the engine’s cylinders. The speed at which the cylinders fill depends on how quickly it is driven. The main drawback to a roots type is the consistency of the air charge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the KB and Whipple deliver instant type boost where as the Magnuson delivers gradual boost, designed to deliver boost at a certain rpm
the Magnuson also produces significantly less heat then the other two which is a big part of engine failures
Thanks! Forgive my ignorance, is the onset of boost not something you can modify somewhat in the tune? I.e., can you modify the KB to behave a bit more like the Maggie?

Also, is the Magnuson the only one of the three that doesn't require some hood cutting?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,299 Posts
I can confirm the maggie does not require any mods to the hood and SW has done many maggie installs that retain shaker hood functionality. Only thing is maggies are very quiet so if you want the whine it will disappoint...I personally love that it is quiet.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My question is how much boost can be made with a Magnuson? I know of guys running Whipples making upwards of 20psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The 2300 because you need Hellcat Heads for the 2650, and I’ve got Apache/Big Gas Heads.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Lol I’ve been doing some research just have to figure what what is the most cost effective way to boost my engine. I’m torn between Twins and a D1X at the moment. Pro’s and cons to both.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,299 Posts
Do both like Gale Banks did back in the day...PD and Centi forced induction setup. PD for instant boost and Centi for the top end. ;)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Do both like Gale Banks did back in the day...PD and Centi forced induction setup. PD for instant boost and Centi for the top end. ;)
I like how you think. Just don’t think the Wife will agree with us. I’ll be shooting you a PM real soon. Sorry for thread jacking OP.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,605 Posts
My question is how much boost can be made with a Magnuson? I know of guys running Whipples making upwards of 20psi.

I'm in the process of taking my Magnuson up to 14 psi right now. It ain't cheap.

Reactions: DakBuilder

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,486 Posts
Lol I’ve been doing some research just have to figure what what is the most cost effective way to boost my engine. I’m torn between Twins and a D1X at the moment. Pro’s and cons to both.

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,299 Posts
I think Rob446 watched that episode too.

Whatever you do, don't get one of these...LOL!

·
Registered
573 Posts

When I was going over boost options with Jim at TSP , he was leading me towards the d1x or a turbo system. He liked the d1x for a number of reasons , one being it’s a lot easier to spin than the f series and will make very good power.
My newest plans are leaning me towards a 200 shot plate system and then possibly a d1x down the road , or a direct injection system with another stage of nitrous. I’ve really been bitten by the nitrous bug. If my hand heals up quickly enough(had surgery Friday), I plan to have the plate ready for atco on 11/2.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
"When I was going over boost options with Jim at TSP , he was leading me towards the d1x or a turbo system. He liked the d1x for a number of reasons , one being it’s a lot easier to spin than the f series and will make very good power.
My newest plans are leaning me towards a 200 shot plate system and then possibly a d1x down the road , or a direct injection system with another stage of nitrous. I’ve really been bitten by the nitrous bug. If my hand heals up quickly enough(had surgery Friday), I plan to have the plate ready for atco on 11/2."

Nitrous is a blast, and can be very addicting, I know from experience. The only draw back is having to refill bottles after every event. It can get very costly, especially if you go rounds as I have been this season..... In the last 2 years of racing using spray, I have spent enough on bottle fill ups to have a Supercharger setup or a Twin set up (I would have to fab though). In the long run if you are racing regularly, it's just way more cost effective to go with a boost application. I like the D1X, but there is infinite power capability with a twin setup (which I'm leaning towards). I'll update a build thread as things progress. For now I'm still on the baby bottle and smiling every time I make a pass.

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,299 Posts
I have always been told nitrous was the least expensive way to add power but never thought that the recurring cost of fill-ups can quickly (I guess if you are always pushing the button) add up to the cost of other power add-on options.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts