Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
"When I was going over boost options with Jim at TSP , he was leading me towards the d1x or a turbo system. He liked the d1x for a number of reasons , one being it’s a lot easier to spin than the f series and will make very good power.
My newest plans are leaning me towards a 200 shot plate system and then possibly a d1x down the road , or a direct injection system with another stage of nitrous. I’ve really been bitten by the nitrous bug. If my hand heals up quickly enough(had surgery Friday), I plan to have the plate ready for atco on 11/2."

Nitrous is a blast, and can be very addicting, I know from experience. The only draw back is having to refill bottles after every event. It can get very costly, especially if you go rounds as I have been this season..... In the last 2 years of racing using spray, I have spent enough on bottle fill ups to have a Supercharger setup or a Twin set up (I would have to fab though). In the long run if you are racing regularly, it's just way more cost effective to go with a boost application. I like the D1X, but there is infinite power capability with a twin setup (which I'm leaning towards). I'll update a build thread as things progress. For now I'm still on the baby bottle and smiling every time I make a pass.
Well there you go talking reason and experience in my ear again. Where are you going to mount the twins ? I was thinking of going with a single and mounting it in place of the oem air box. I’m glad I haven’t taken a step in any specific direction with my build. The plate kit is going to be combined with whichever route I go any how , so that’ll hold me over until I decide. I’m really leaning towards a turbo over a PD or a centri blower also. I think Jim was saying the d1 was just easy and relatively cheap compared to a turbo system. His Jeep is a twin and that thing is bananas!!! All that said ..... for our cars , they really have to be mid or rear mount for twins , no? Guess I’m going to be doing some research on turbos:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well there you go talking reason and experience in my ear again. Where are you going to mount the twins ? I was thinking of going with a single and mounting it in place of the oem air box. I’m glad I haven’t taken a step in any specific direction with my build. The plate kit is going to be combined with whichever route I go any how , so that’ll hold me over until I decide. I’m really leaning towards a turbo over a PD or a centri blower also. I think Jim was saying the d1 was just easy and relatively cheap compared to a turbo system. His Jeep is a twin and that thing is bananas!!! All that said ..... for our cars , they really have to be mid or rear mount for twins , no? Guess I’m going to be doing some research on turbos:)

If anyone is doing twins on a street driven LX/LC platform there are really only 2 choices rear mounted, or mid mounted off of the exhaust manifold. Rear mounted if sized correctly spool reasonably quickly, and help keep the heat down in the engine bay, but require a lot of oil line modification to keep the snails lubricated. Mids, lite off quickly, keep the heat down reasonably but are susceptible to water intake on rainy days. I really don’t drive my car much in the rain, so I’m leaning towards the Hellion style mid mounts. I’ve seen some D1x’s pop up here and there for decent prices. Which would make thing very easy to get down in a weekend. So the problem still exist for me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have always been told nitrous was the least expensive way to add power but never thought that the recurring cost of fill-ups can quickly (I guess if you are always pushing the button) add up to the cost of other power add-on options.
Yes my friend it can add up quickly. At the MSHS event in Lapeer, I used 22#’s of Nitrous. At VMP I used #15, at Cecil I used 24, and at MIR I used about 6. That is for all of the racing I did in events. Not to mention testing. Multiply that by $6 a pound plus Maryland tax and you can see thing adding up quickly. I love having spray just hate filling up 6 bottles every event. Air is free per say. Last year was a little less money spent but the same concept.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The tune, through pedal demand and tweaking of the VVT timing, can tame the onset of boost or as some call it the "light switch" effect..
Ive had a whipple on my car for a few years with 10k+ hard miles as im a younger guy, no problems. Also for the whipple there is an aftermarket electronic "boost controller" called smooth boost from mmx. Allows whipple to build boost like a hellcat and you can set from zero to max boost. So you can run zero and drive like stock or turn to max and go wild. Only problem is $1000 and requires new tune

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,167 Posts
Ive had a whipple on my car for a few years with 10k+ hard miles as im a younger guy, no problems. Also for the whipple there is an aftermarket electronic "boost controller" called smooth boost from mmx. Allows whipple to build boost like a hellcat and you can set from zero to max boost. So you can run zero and drive like stock or turn to max and go wild. Only problem is $1000 and requires new tune
Yup I know but why run a boost controller when the light switch effect can be handled in the tune? Sounds like whoever did your tune knew what they were doing but head over to the HP tuners site and see all the post about guys complaining about surge when running a PD super charger.

Instead of spending $1k on a boost controller (it is a cool component and I like the fact it allows you to turn down boost), I would put that money on a dual belt drive setup.

Look I am not dis'ing whipples, in fact I would love to run one but after all my research the magnuson (would have done an Edelbrock but I did not like the look dispite it having a dual belt setup) fit the bill for my needs.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,820 Posts
@Gila Hemi has a supercharger, maybe he can say

Might chime in on this thread, and then ask there too

A Guy

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,176 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Does anyone know of a reliable supercharger installer in Az?
Xtreme Motorsports in Tempe is who has always taken care of my cars.
I hear good things about SRT autoworks as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup I know but why run a boost controller when the light switch effect can be handled in the tune? Sounds like whoever did your tune knew what they were doing but head over to the HP tuners site and see all the post about guys complaining about surge when running a PD super charger.

Instead of spending $1k on a boost controller (it is a cool component and I like the fact it allows you to turn down boost), I would put that money on a dual belt drive setup.

Look I am not dis'ing whipples, in fact I would love to run one but after all my research the magnuson (would have done an Edelbrock but I did not like the look dispite it having a dual belt setup) fit the bill for my needs.
Im stilled on the canned whipple tune after 10K miles..... which i know isnt ideal but hey if it aint broke dont fix it. Also i take no offense to the discussion here about whipple vs maggie or what ever, im just here to help people get a little more info before making a large purchase and maybe get some help in return.

I cant get over how cool the boost controller is though, $700 tune or $1000 BC pretty close amount but get more function out of the controller, and their is a built in overboost failsafe/killswitch and a boost scramble all on the fly.

Does the maggie have an electronic bypass? Do they never surge? I stopped reading up on them after i decided on the whipple.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,167 Posts
Im stilled on the canned whipple tune after 10K miles..... which i know isnt ideal but hey if it aint broke dont fix it. Also i take no offense to the discussion here about whipple vs maggie or what ever, im just here to help people get a little more info before making a large purchase and maybe get some help in return.

I cant get over how cool the boost controller is though, $700 tune or $1000 BC pretty close amount but get more function out of the controller, and their is a built in overboost failsafe/killswitch and a boost scramble all on the fly.

Does the maggie have an electronic bypass? Do they never surge? I stopped reading up on them after i decided on the whipple.
Stopped reading up on maggies?...not much to them to read...very simple setup. Maggies do not have an electronic bypass (it's pretty apparent from the install manual it is vacuum operated) but the kit I bought came with an upgraded fuel pump and 60# injectors. Maggie kits vary from vendors so you do have to shop around, bought mine from API. Mine does not surge (even removed the bypass restrictor) as my tune is setup correctly (or was until I installed the 6.2 cam). Although, they too are not immuned to the light switch effect and I have seen a post or two on HP tuners. What I like about the maggie is it is quiet...you never hear from it until you stomp the pedal and even then the whine is not very loud. In short, Maggies (and Edelbrocks) are for those who want more tire melting power but have a more OEM vibe to it.

If you talk to Luke from Steve White the maggies seem to be a very popular choice as they install a lot of them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
many times, several different configuration......>:)

5.7L will live very well on 8 psi of boost, especially with a Magnuson which is no where near as violent as a KB or Whipple

6.4 maximum of 7 psi and must be tuned very very well, with good fuel......

we supercharged a very large number of 5.7 running 500 whps, 510 ft/lbs, 8 psi, Magnuson 2300, stage one fuel pump system, Kooks long tubes and green catted high flow, add a cam and your just shy of 550 whps

the tuning on 6.4 is critical, extremely critical....

Luke
What makes a Maggie less violent than a whipple on equivalent boost? Never heard of that.

I plan to run a Whipple and 8-10 psi along with an alky kit and custom tune. I ran that setup on an LS Camaro and it was mint.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,167 Posts

Very cool article about PD supercharger from a drag racing perspective.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts