Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I'm leaning more towards the Procharger the more I read about superchargers. Runs cooler, can run 7# safely compared to others at 6 or 6.5 #s safe, great for daily driving, reliable than most, more power at top end since I think we have enough low end (392) specially with traction issues. Maybe easier install? And I've heard with Procharger you get more to the wheel with the same boost competed to other setups. And a little less money. Just my opinion from what I've learned so far here.
Also heard the fastest challenger has a Procharger setup as well. I think it was hhp. I could be wrong on that one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would maybe lean towards a centri type supercharger. But now that the weather is warming up and my Goodyear F1 tires are starting to hook better. That Edelbrock at 8lbs, boy oh boy talk about a rocket like launch. I was unimpressed with low end acceleration until recently. I knew I had traction issues but what a difference when the tires start to grab now that the weather is warmer. The opinion pendulum may be swinging back in the twin screws favor.

So now that I've typed a lot of words that essentially contribute nothing I'll let you put that in your pipe and smoke it.

:werd:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They way tgat edb looks just kills it the slp almost looks like the stock intake and stock application and thats a big factor for me

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
First thing you need to know is that a procharger is a supercharger! The 2nd is boost is really addicting. Be prepared to want more!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dude get the procharger trust me I just swapped pulleys on my procharger which is super ez got Johan to tweak the tune and now I'm making 8 psi WOW! Before I was only making 5 psi with the stock pulley that comes with the setup due to my elevation I lost some boost.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am a big fan of centrifugal set ups due to their simplicity. Not really a fan of positive displacement blowers for a stock motor since they add on about 150lbs. to the car, which roughly equates into a increase in ET by 1.5 seconds. They weigh a ton and have a lot or stuff to bolt onto the front of the motor. It's instant TORQUE though, which I love, but not at the expense of weighing the front end down.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I am a big fan of centrifugal set ups due to their simplicity. Not really a fan of positive displacement blowers for a stock motor since they add on about 150lbs. to the car, which roughly equates into a increase in ET by 1.5 seconds. They weigh a ton and have a lot or stuff to bolt onto the front of the motor. It's instant TORQUE though, which I love, but not at the expense of weighing the front end down.
increase in 1.5 sec for 150lbs? What are you driving a moped?

·
Registered
235 Posts
that 150lbs. has to slow down the car by some amount in the ET, especially on a 5.7 stock motor :indifferent:

I love the instant torque but it's a lot of dead weight. Blower weighs a ton, extra coolant, heat exchanger and extra hoses. It's fun on the street just messing around because of all the low end torque but for the track I prefer a centri.

On a 6.1 or 6.4 it may be more worth it, since the difference in hp is about 120 or so whp over the 5.7 :browsmiley:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Your statement is just dead wrong A KB powered 5.7 will not run 1.5 sec slower then a Procharged 5.7L at the same boost level, we have built and raced enough of them over the years to know.
I am talking about in general not in comparison to a Procharger or centri. Weigh any car down by 150lbs. and it's not gonna run nearly as quick as it was NA at the same power level.

This is by experience at a lower level, not at a professional level. Email tunes, stock tires or $600 racing tires. 15 minutes between runs or as much as the staging lanes are filled until the next run.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
There are lots of threads that cover this subject. There are many opinions and people have various preferences.

All of these blower systems are lots of fun and have their own set of pros and cons. You need to look at your intentions for your car. How and where will you drive it most of the time? How will you use the extra power? Do you want to win burn out contests? Drag races? Road races? Terrorize the streets? What kind of tires? Mountain driving? Street driving?

I did some homework before hand and chose to go with a centrifugal supercharger for my type of driving for several reasons. First, I don't want or need all that torque up front for the way I drive my car. I'd much prefer to have it come in at higher rpms instead of off idle. I could already blow street tires away when it was n/a. My Vortech hits boost around 3,000 rpms. I can drive around town with excellent street manners, that is until I want to get crazy. Then, boost kicks in and wham! Here come the after burners! With a stick car I can easily control the rpms so that boost is right there ready when I want it. Second, is heat. Centrifugals run cooler partly because they aren't sitting right on top of the heat source, the engine. I take mine out on road courses and can hot lap all day long. Third is weight. Centrifugals weigh less. Less weight is more efficient. Fourth, centrifugals make power exponentially right on past the rev limiter. They would keep on going if the engine could handle the rpms. Typically in street trim, twin screws and roots blowers are all in by about 5,000 rpms. Fifth, centrifugals have a great reliability record. Sure, the others are reliable as well but vortech and pro charger have a lot of history and experience.

There. That's why I chose my system. No matter what you choose you'll drive around with a silly grin on your face.

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts
There are lots of threads that cover this subject. There are many opinions and people have various preferences.

All of these blower systems are lots of fun and have their own set of pros and cons. You need to look at your intentions for your car. How and where will you drive it most of the time? How will you use the extra power? Do you want to win burn out contests? Drag races? Road races? Terrorize the streets? What kind of tires? Mountain driving? Street driving?

I did some homework before hand and chose to go with a centrifugal supercharger for my type of driving for several reasons. First, I don't want or need all that torque up front for the way I drive my car. I'd much prefer to have it come in at higher rpms instead of off idle. I could already blow street tires away when it was n/a. My Vortech hits boost around 3,000 rpms. I can drive around town with excellent street manners, that is until I want to get crazy. Then, boost kicks in and wham! Here come the after burners! With a stick car I can easily control the rpms so that boost is right there ready when I want it. Second, is heat. Centrifugals run cooler partly because they aren't sitting right on top of the heat source, the engine. I take mine out on road courses and can hot lap all day long. Third is weight. Centrifugals weigh less. Less weight is more efficient. Fourth, centrifugals make power exponentially right on past the rev limiter. They would keep on going if the engine could handle the rpms. Typically in street trim, twin screws and roots blowers are all in by about 5,000 rpms. Fifth, centrifugals have a great reliability record. Sure, the others are reliable as well but vortech and pro charger have a lot of history and experience.

There. That's why I chose my system. No matter what you choose you'll drive around with a silly grin on your face.

Not that I'm looking for forced induction, and not taking anything I've read away from the Twin screw style of blowers, but, if I were to supercharge, those above are all the reasons why I would. Well written friend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ditto.. having owned both, I have to say I was most impressed by the consistency of the Centri system over the Positive displacement one. Sure, I love instant torque but it comes with a hefty price, usually in the form of heat in both the motor and trans, not to mention the tires and brakes. I love it, but it's very hard on other components. Consistency went down the drain and the cool down intervals went up. I am talking about a normal daily driven, weekend warrior, stock brakes, trans etc. type of deal, like most owners whom plan on owning these systems. Not trying to bash it, but it just takes more care and attention to things then your standard centri kit.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I went with the hybrid roots style blower.

It's true what everyone is saying about low end power, it is hard to launch for sure. It has great street manners when your not flooring it though. The plus I see in the low end power is you have it whenever you want it and you don't have to get the rpms up to make a ton of power.

In all honesty your not gonna be upset with whatever choice you make after supercharging. Just do a little homework and don't look back after you decided. It's gonna be awesome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts