Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok from doing the research on here it seems like to only way to beef the car to what I want is to either Turbo or SC.

I cant use RDP because I live in Florida and am not shipping my car up north.

Who has the best SC setup?
Is there anyone else besides RDP doing the turbo?

What are the gains you have noticed?
What changes did you make to the engine prior?

I need these answered before I couldmore forwward.

Anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Ok from doing the research on here it seems like to only way to beef the car to what I want is to either Turbo or SC.

I cant use RDP because I live in Florida and am not shipping my car up north.

Who has the best SC setup?
Is there anyone else besides RDP doing the turbo?

What are the gains you have noticed?
What changes did you make to the engine prior?

I need these answered before I couldmore forwward.

Anyone?
Harry does the Jeeps and he is in Florida, they do some amazing work

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
There's a Mr. Norms down there in FL that's good with Kenne Bell blowers and Speedlogix who have a lot of experience with Vortech superchargers.

The problem with current turbo setups is they either mount at the rear which limits boost due to all the connections, or they mount up front and eliminate the cats meaning you can't pass emissions. Turbos are pretty cool though and the cars that have them on this site have proven to be pretty fast at the track. I think there's only three guys though and one already toasted a motor and the other has a built motor like mine. The third guy still has his stock motor for now, so we'll see how long it lasts.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
harry????????
HarryBallZ he has the shop in florida they do turbos on Jeeps not sure if they have done any Challengers yet talk to him he will help you

·
Registered
275 Posts
What do you plan to use the car for? Drag, street/strip, strictly street?
As far as turbo there are 5 setups: twin rear mounted, single rear mounted, single mid mounted, twin rear motor mounted, single rear motor mounted and single front mounted

Rear mounts (STS Turbo) both single and twin are not boost limited by connections but by themal inefficiencies. Thermal energy is lost after traveling from the exhaust ports to the turbine wheel. There are ways to combat that and I have a few secrets that alot of people seem to overlook to get around that. These are easy to install and care for. Excellent for street, but not so much on the drags unless you really tweak the system.

Mid mounts (North Coast Turbo Systems) are really have the same efficiency as the rear mounts, it just mount at gas tank/rear diff.

Rear motor mounts (like Hellion's twins) will offer the best thermal efficiency but you will have to sacrifice emmissions legality. Their kit could also use some tweaking from what I have seen in its design. Great kit, but as far as being efficient as a system it still won't compare to a front mounted. I have also seen a guy that had a shop custom mount a single turbo on the driver's side by using custom headers and a crossover pipe.

Front mounted (Direct Connection drag Challenger) are the most efficient of the mount variations. The draw back is available space for mounting of the hot/cold pipes, turbo, intercooler, bov, wastegate within the engine bay. Direct connection accomplished this by reverse mounting the intake manifold, installing a radiator that is 1/2 the length of stock, and placing a water intercooler in the passenger floorboard. Heavy modification! Drag only basically.

If you are really thinking about the choice between a SC, procharger, and Turbo...probably should stick with a S/C or procharger. You probably are not a turbo guy and will not spend countless hours designing, calculating and testing varitaions (pipes, turbine wheels, compressor wheels, turbine housing A/R, thermal retention methods and so on) and have fun doing it, like we do.

Happy Boostday!:redcap:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
^^^ That's some good info there. 70TA did have some issues with the STS rear mounted system blowing off some of the silicone connections. I think you can add some beads to help that issue, but they weren't beaded on his as purchased.

I wish they could find a way to do a twin up front mount and retain the cats like Hellion does for the Mustang.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i had a supercharger on my chally first then went twin turbos, was worried about lag but i was surprised how fast the twins spooled up, alot of power with no lag and it keeps on pulling hard on the top end, only problem is getting it to hook ,another thing is i dont have to carry spare belts on me all the time, might need mini tubs soon :bigthumb:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
i had a supercharger on my chally first then went twin turbos, was worried about lag but i was surprised how fast the twins spooled up, alot of power with no lag and it keeps on pulling hard on the top end, only problem is getting it to hook ,another thing is i dont have to carry spare belts on me all the time, might need mini tubs soon :bigthumb:
Which supercharger did you have and which turbo system do you have now?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Which supercharger did you have and which turbo system do you have now?
had a vortech V3 on a stock motor, then went for a 426 motor with twin turbonetics turbos.. cant remember for sure if they are T61 or T62 , been using the car on the track and as a daily driver with no problems, had it done by RDP motorsport.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts