Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
they can all be safe or dangerous depending on the tune. You want to choose your upgrades based on what you want to do with your car when you are complete.

5,134 Posts
Kenne Bell and Votech have blown a fair number of motors here. Magnacharger seems quite safe.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Just like to point out that the SC's didn't blow the engines. The TUNES (or lack thereof) did.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Tunes and/or excessive boost over 6 to 8 psi have most likely been the cause.

Vortech has been around for quite a while and if you have a certified installer put it on with low boost, it will last a long time.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I agree. I think any of them can be installed safely providing you have a great tuner. Find the shop first that you are comfortable with, and use what they recommend or are good at. I do not think there are any bad choices as far as an SC goes.

I guess you can also base your choice somewhat on looks if that matters. I can tell you I love the look of my Maggie, and one more thing that nobody ever mentions on here......I LOVE the fact that nobody has a clue that I even have an SC cause it make no noise at all at the stock boost level. Even the guy telling me when to stop my burnout at the track said that.

·
Banned
928 Posts
Vortech would be my recommended option for a bone stock application

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just to throw in here, Our MagnaCharger is designed to work with a 100% bone stock car. We provide an updated calibration/tune that is done in a conservative manner with longevity in mind.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I pretty much say nothing is safe. I can send you some pics of a vortech supercharged 6.1L that was blown with the kits included basic tune.( from er... someone close to me) Just pm your email address to me, cause I wont post them on any boards

·
Registered
297 Posts
I forgot to mention, we now offer an option powertrain warranty that will cover the engine/trans/rear end for up to 5 years or 100k miles.

there are limitations to what can be done after the supercharger is installed... and it is limited to magnacharged engines only.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
The problem is not with the blowers, the problem is that boost is addictive so it is VERY hard to stay with the ultra conservative tune from the mfg. and you will soon be bumping up the boost for more and more.

I know everyone thinks that THEY are the exception and they'll be happy with the basic kit, but this little factoid has been proven too many times.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
whats the safest supercharger setup to go with on a stock srt8?
I'm bettin' you can blow up anything you want with any of the blowers on the market. Too much boost, to lean on the tune... end result will be the same no matter the brand. In the end depends more on the installer's skill and knowledge than the brand.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I say pick the one you want. Put it on and be happy till you want to increase boost. When the boost bug bites you again, just make sure you look at not only the impact of increased power on the engine, but also the entire drive train.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Boost is boost. Any supercharger can blow a motor. Doesn't matter the model. If the tune is wrong or the boost is too high=see you later pistons.

·
Registered
736 Posts
That KB was on 8lbs of boot and putting down 587HP. That is in no way conservative. Maggie has the warranty. I you want to be really safe, go with that. I think my car feels perfect, I put about 5k on the Maggie so far, and no issues. Not saying that is enough to base anything on, but I have not seen a blown Maggie engine yet. I'm sure someone will find one, but make sure it's the stock Maggie.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I chose to try Vortech complete system, DCX Depot,Tim, got me the hook up ???? Waiting on the ups truck. Should be here in a few more days. The wait sucks. This will be a DIY fun project. Ill use the E mail tune they send and hit the drums. I am hoping 480whp safe enough, without any issues.
I somtimes have second thoughts after reading the threads...lol

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I think a lot of it is reputation. KB gets a rep of making big time power so people who want to run big boost get one, while Maggie has a rep of a "safe" blower so people who want to be more conservative get it. Of course this is speaking in broad terms. The forged arrington guys are all running high boost. But we're talking stock motors here.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts