Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Supercharger

4K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  plumKrazy 
#1 ·
whats the safest supercharger setup to go with on a stock srt8?

#6 ·
Tunes and/or excessive boost over 6 to 8 psi have most likely been the cause.

Vortech has been around for quite a while and if you have a certified installer put it on with low boost, it will last a long time.

#7 ·
I agree. I think any of them can be installed safely providing you have a great tuner. Find the shop first that you are comfortable with, and use what they recommend or are good at. I do not think there are any bad choices as far as an SC goes.

I guess you can also base your choice somewhat on looks if that matters. I can tell you I love the look of my Maggie, and one more thing that nobody ever mentions on here......I LOVE the fact that nobody has a clue that I even have an SC cause it make no noise at all at the stock boost level. Even the guy telling me when to stop my burnout at the track said that.

#10 ·
I pretty much say nothing is safe. I can send you some pics of a vortech supercharged 6.1L that was blown with the kits included basic tune.( from er... someone close to me) Just pm your email address to me, cause I wont post them on any boards

#12 ·
The problem is not with the blowers, the problem is that boost is addictive so it is VERY hard to stay with the ultra conservative tune from the mfg. and you will soon be bumping up the boost for more and more.

I know everyone thinks that THEY are the exception and they'll be happy with the basic kit, but this little factoid has been proven too many times.

#13 ·
I'm bettin' you can blow up anything you want with any of the blowers on the market. Too much boost, to lean on the tune... end result will be the same no matter the brand. In the end depends more on the installer's skill and knowledge than the brand.

#14 ·
I say pick the one you want. Put it on and be happy till you want to increase boost. When the boost bug bites you again, just make sure you look at not only the impact of increased power on the engine, but also the entire drive train.

#18 ·
That KB was on 8lbs of boot and putting down 587HP. That is in no way conservative. Maggie has the warranty. I you want to be really safe, go with that. I think my car feels perfect, I put about 5k on the Maggie so far, and no issues. Not saying that is enough to base anything on, but I have not seen a blown Maggie engine yet. I'm sure someone will find one, but make sure it's the stock Maggie.

#19 ·
I chose to try Vortech complete system, DCX Depot,Tim, got me the hook up ???? Waiting on the ups truck. Should be here in a few more days. The wait sucks. This will be a DIY fun project. Ill use the E mail tune they send and hit the drums. I am hoping 480whp safe enough, without any issues.
I somtimes have second thoughts after reading the threads...lol

#20 ·
I think a lot of it is reputation. KB gets a rep of making big time power so people who want to run big boost get one, while Maggie has a rep of a "safe" blower so people who want to be more conservative get it. Of course this is speaking in broad terms. The forged arrington guys are all running high boost. But we're talking stock motors here.

#23 ·
Blower and consevative don't belong in the same sentence. Give it a year and your gonna see a whole lot of blown up motors.
I f you want to make power with your Blower By Kenne Bell or Pro Charger.

#24 ·
If you do not go over 10 or 12 lbs, everyone can say what they want, but time slips will tell it all. They are all close. I do not care how big it is or what anyone claims anymore. I am seeing more and more proof of this every week.

I want to see the fastest 6 to 8lb boost times from all SC's. I do not think there is a bad choice here. There is a certain size needed, and on a stock motor, some are way overkill.

Get what you want, and what you think looks nice. And try bot to just blend in with everyone else. Nothing worse than going somewhere, and having the same thing as the next 5 cars beside you!

#29 ·
1) Are there mods to do with the supercharger to make it more "bullet proof"?

2) Is there a parts solution (ie, predator, heads, cams, boring) that can come close to a Supercharger?
You get a Forged Bottom end and you will be close to bulletproof. I say close, cause no matter what you do there is always a chance of blowing something up if a tune is wrong or a part is wrong etc. I don't want to say do this and nothing will ever happen! LOL

You can do a built up 426 and get close to what a Supercharger will do on a stock bottom end, but throw a supercharger on a built 426 or 392 (that is built for boost) and you will blow away what that motor did N/A lol

Its a never ending cycle!

Best Bang for the Buck is a Supercharger, the tricky part about the supercharger is to get the correct suspension setup for traction :)

#28 ·
If Vortech doesn't make any power, how does one get a Magnum with stock SRT8 suspension and a 392 Motor into the nines?

:thumbsup:

And that is not even the quickest he has gone :bigthumb:

Where are all the HEMI's running 9 Seconds with Prochargers?? :scratchhead:

Not saying Prochargers don't make power, they do..and they do it pretty nicely! And I KNOW there should be Procharged Hemi's in the 9s...just hasn't happened yet.

I just don't understand saying that Vortech doesn't make power lol

#30 ·
If Vortech doesn't make any power, how does one get a Magnum with stock SRT8 suspension and a 392 Motor into the nines?

YouTube - Supercharged Dodge Magnum running 9.9 1/4 Mile

:thumbsup:

And that is not even the quickest he has gone :bigthumb:

Where are all the HEMI's running 9 Seconds with Prochargers?? :scratchhead:

Not saying Prochargers don't make power, they do..and they do it pretty nicely! And I KNOW there should be Procharged Hemi's in the 9s...just hasn't happened yet.

I just don't understand saying that Vortech doesn't make power lol
you should pay more attention to your industry before you go yapping at the mouth, DTP just went 9.7 @ 146 on a 6.1 Superbee full street weight and jack just went 9.8 with a 2.8kb on a 6.1 full street weight

#35 ·
Good run :bigthumb:, and I stand corrected on that fact!

Thanks! I wasn't hating on Procharger, just had yet to see it done is all :)

But that doesn't negate that fact that a Vortech can make power which was the point of my post LOL

There is a supercharger for everyone, just depends on what you want to do with the car! There is not a one cure all supercharger for everyone. Its about finding what is right for the customer :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.