Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve here, I own a 2013 Challenger RT and would like to add a supercharger? Was wondering what your thoughts were on the different brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done some research. I was just wondering what the preferred SC in the threads. Money to power ratio if you will. what do you suggest is the best programmer?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
It's best to talk to one of our vendors such as Steve White (Luke is a regular here), Modern Muscle Xtreme, HHP, Speedlogix, API....to name a couple but here is my take. I have used each of these vendors for various parts and services and have had a very positive experience with all of them.

Hopefully someone will chime in to either correct or corroborate the information I provide below.

1) If you want well behaved daily driver with decent, quiet, reliable power - then Edelbrock or Magnuson is a good choice but they won't whine and produce slightly less power as they are blower type PDs. Magnuson has a raw look and their kits look like they were gathered from a Napa parts bin (I still love mine though). The Edelbrock is more refined and has a factory install look. They now sell a higher output blower based off the TSV2650. Magnuson still uses the TSV2300. Quite a few folks here run Magnuson and Steve White seems to always have them in stock. I have heard running water/meth is not recommended on these systems as they could damage the rotor coating.

2) If you want a weekend warrior that makes power and the noise to boot - then Whipple or K&B will do it with a nice whine and produce more power as they are compressor type PDs. They generally cost $1k-$2k more and power tends to kick in more aggressively. There are a couple who have complained that the Whipples can make unwanted noise when the AC and even posted vids of the issue. The kits seem to be well thought out and put together.

3) If you want a dedicated drag machine that screams - then Procharger or Vortech have more potential to provide big HP but you better forge your engine. However, these centrifugal SC can also be made daily drivers as power is delivered more linearly. These systems also don't require the removal of the intake manifold and can handle water/meth injection, which can be used as a fail safe or tuned for to achieve more boost. They also can incorporate boost safety overrides. Price wise they tend to be slightly less expensive and install a little easier than the PD superchargers. They also can be converted back to stock fairly quickly.

BTW all systems mentioned above will require pinning of the crank which is not difficult. If you don't forge your engine then boost should be limited to 8PSI on the 5.7 and 6-7PSI on the 6.4. It is also recommended that you install an upgraded fuel pump. All these systems can be installed over the weekend provided you are mechanically inclined, however if you decide to tune via email it could take a couple of weeks to get the car dialed in.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have the Procharger on my 15 R/T plus and I now have 525 HP (470 HP to the wheels.) My kit came with Intercooler, fuel pump and bigger fuel injectors. As the poster above stated I have also had my crank pinned. (I am running at 8#boost) I am also running Kooks long tube headers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just did a Magnuson install on my 17 T/A. The results are awesome. Completely different car. Pretty straightforward kit for 14's and under. I might have 6900 in it total, including misc. parts and tools. If you're not bothered by price, do it, you won't ever look back.

·
Registered
404 Posts
According to what was posted above….

1) If you want well behaved daily driver with decent, quiet, reliable power - then Edelbrock or Magnuson is a good choice but they won't whine and produce slightly less power as they are blower type PDs. Magnuson has a raw look and their kits look like they were gathered from a Napa parts bin (I still love mine though). The Edelbrock is more refined and has a factory install look. They now sell a higher output blower based off the TSV2650. Magnuson still uses the TSV2300. Quite a few folks here run Magnuson and Steve White seems to always have them in stock. I have heard running water/meth is not recommended on these systems as they could damage the rotor coating.

This would be what I would want for my 2014 RT….If I had someone do the entire install of everything needed, tune and everything what type of price range am I looking at…..? I was figuring around over 10,000 but sounds like it could be way cheaper….which would be good.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
From my experience if you go with the maggie do not count on support from magnuson if you run into issues. However you can get help from Luke at Steve White's with it. My kit had several missing or wrong pieces and the instructions were just flat out wrong a couple of places. These were not big issues but the kit has been out for 5+ years. The big issue I have had is with the tune. I have had 10 revisions and things still are not quite right and have been told this is the best we can do. I am waiting for spring to get a dyno tune.

·
Registered
167 Posts
From my experience if you go with the maggie do not count on support from magnuson if you run into issues. However you can get help from Luke at Steve White's with it. My kit had several missing or wrong pieces and the instructions were just flat out wrong a couple of places. These were not big issues but the kit has been out for 5+ years. The big issue I have had is with the tune. I have had 10 revisions and things still are not quite right and have been told this is the best we can do. I am waiting for spring to get a dyno tune.
I can agree with the first part of this. Getting customer service from them was a chore. They do need to update their kits for the 15+ models. But if yours is older than a 15, you shouldn't have may parts issues. But as far as the tune side, I got awesome customer service. Mark Blaha did my tune for Magnuson and is still tinkering with getting it perfect. He's gone out of his way to help, not only the tune, but answering questions about gauges and other small issues. He's been very forthcoming with explaining the process and datalogging as well. I'd recommend him any day.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,478 Posts
I went with High Horse Performance and a Magnuson. The owner, Josh, is a master at tuning, and I believe the only way I could improve my tune is to drive across country to put it on their dyno to do some final tweaking. With the addition of a supercharge a new problem will rear up with a stock suspension, wheels and tires ; wheel hop from hell. I'm still waiting for my new, one piece, aluminum drive shaft to arrive so I can switch to drag radials. >:)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
I went with High Horse Performance and a Magnuson. The owner, Josh, is a master at tuning, and I believe the only way I could improve my tune is to drive across country to put it on their dyno to do some final tweaking. With the addition of a supercharge a new problem will rear up with a stock suspension, wheels and tires ; wheel hop from hell. I'm still waiting for my new, one piece, aluminum drive shaft to arrive so I can switch to drag radials. >:)
Yeah, you will be surprised how much the cradle and differential wiggle. I put the camera under the chassis the other day while I drove to work...definitely have to do something about this.

https://vimeo.com/258407847

//vimeo.com/258407847

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,596 Posts
I can see it, the link and video are working fine. I meant the pop in your exhaust. Is it your aftermarket cam?
Oh. No that is not the cam as I have not bought the parts yet (but an HP tuner instead). The cam will happen but I really would like to enjoy the car before I tear it open...again.

It's the tune causing the pop, I fattened up the fuel trims and it pops when cold and goes away when the car warms up. That was the reason I put the corsa mid mufflers back on...otherwise it would bang like the car in Uncle Buck. Car is pretty quiet with the full corsa on but it is loud when you get on it. I am just surprised the diff moves (combination of cradle and diff bushings) so much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts