Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On every forum and every site, the discussion of the benefits of a supercharger are prevalent and wide spread.

My question is "WHAT ARE DISADVANTAGES"? Mainly the following questions.

1. If you purchase a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and install supercharger will "THE SUPERCHARGER" decrease life expectancy of the engine (given all maintenance is taken and SC installed by professional)?

2. If a 2010 Dodge Challenger is purchased and a ATI Procharger is installed and in the year 2012 the engine has problem related to supercharger will the ATI 3 year warranty cover the repairs?

3. What are the common engine parts that a supercharger breaks? The pistons, camshaft, block, etc, etc?

4. If SC is installed what internal engine parts should be upgraded, the pistons, fuel injectors, etc, etc?

5. If SC is installed whom is a good professional to install the SC?

6. Is there anyway to not void the factory warranty by installing SC?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
yes it wear your engine out faster than normal depending on how you drive.
you should build a forged bottom end pistons and rods the stock crank is forged. you should upgrade the fuel system and injectors, fuel rails.
depending on where you live would depend on what shop.
you got ST motor in s. cali , mr. norms in chicago hhp in delaware and numerous other shops capable of the install. the tune is a different story

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Use the search bar at the top of the site. All your questions have been covered in great detail in many threads.

yes it wear your engine out faster than normal depending on how you drive.
you should build a forged bottom end pistons and rods the stock crank is forged. you should upgrade the fuel system and injectors, fuel rails.
depending on where you live would depend on what shop.
you got ST motor in s. cali , mr. norms in chicago hhp in delaware and numerous other shops capable of the install. the tune is a different story

·
Registered
264 Posts

Adding a blower pretty much becomes the culprit of any type of engine failure or complication if any so the dealer will not honer the warranty unless you can prove the blower had nothing to do with the problem IF in fact it really didnt cause the problem.

Just remeber the blower is gonna effect pretty much everything on the powertrain, that means engine, transmision, driveshaft, rear end, axles ect...

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I see where your coming from it's always the good not the potential problems

On every forum and every site, the discussion of the benefits of a supercharger are prevalent and wide spread.

1. If you purchase a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and install supercharger will "THE SUPERCHARGER" decrease life expectancy of the engine (given all maintenance is taken and SC installed by professional)?
yes it is harder on your internals depending on the brand
2. If a 2010 Dodge Challenger is purchased and a ATI Procharger is installed and in the year 2012 the engine has problem related to supercharger will the ATI 3 year warranty cover the repairs?
i would ask one of the installers or the mfg
3. What are the common engine parts that a supercharger breaks? The pistons, camshaft, block, etc, etc?
on these motors the pistons,wrist pins and rods are cheap
4. If SC is installed what internal engine parts should be upgraded, the pistons, fuel injectors, etc, etc?
forge the bottom end and upgrade injectors per mfg or builder
i'm not touching that one many good shops around it comes down to the tuning
NOPE
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts

A supercharger makes the motor produce more power by increasing the explosion in the cylinders. This will put some added stress on bearings, etc. However the wear won't be such that the motor wears out in any greater amount of time relatively speaking. For example if a normal stock motor would last 200,000 miles adding a supercharger won't make it worn out in 100,000 miles. It doesn't reduce the life by half or anything nutty like that. Just use good synthetic oil to deal with the added heat. This assumes you keep the boost reasonable at 6-7psi and don't drag race every weekend. Drag racing every weekend will put wear even on a stock car.

Not sure on this one, you'd have to check with ATI and get a copy of their warranty statement. I can tell you that the Magnuson warranty only covers repairs that are PROVEN to have been caused by the blower, and then only up to a certain dollar amount. It's more like an insurance policy than a warranty. ATI's may be the same, may not, you'd wanna check with them.

The pistons if the tune isn't right.

If you want to run more than 6-7lbs of boost then the pistons and rods should be upgraded to forged parts.

Depends on where you live.

Supposedly the Magnuson Moss act protects you on the warranty, but if you pop a motor with a blower installed, better be prepared to hire a lawyer if you want a warranty claim to be honored.

I'd normally say search, but superchargers are a bit more complicated to understand the pit falls than a CAI or cat back.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Judging from the questions, I would guess that a S/C might not be a great idea for you. I think most of us that go for big mods accept the consequences. That said, once you start adding power, you will want more and more. We all think we will be happy with the basic "safe" setup, but next you know we're moving on up.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
i doubt that any of the 500+ RWHp motors are going to see 100,000 miles before failure, but that is the price they pay.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Judging from the questions, I would guess that a S/C might not be a great idea for you. I think most of us that go for big mods accept the consequences. That said, once you start adding power, you will want more and more. We all think we will be happy with the basic "safe" setup, but next you know we're moving on up.
That's the truth!

i doubt that any of the 500+ RWHp motors are going to see 100,000 miles before failure, but that is the price they pay.
Oh, I dunno about that. If you race every weekend probably not. Every day driving sure.

I know it's not a Challenger, but in the 4Runner world a lot of us supercharged those back in the day. I still have mine and it's running strong 4 years later. Several folks I know have over 100K miles on theirs. Not 500HP, but still scales since it's adding 120RWHP to a V6.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
bayoutiger ..... i couldnt have put it better ...so not being a smart a$$ but with that many questions about FI in general id say dont do it .... if your not a gear head or in any way familiar with forced induction it will be a nightmare for you .... and like tiger said if your worried about warranty ... FI is not for you at all .... i hope i did not offend you or anybody ...

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I think the OP is just doing his research which is commendable. A lot of folks jump in without looking and don't understand what they have when they have it.

If you wanna stick with a safe setup go with a Magnuson or Vortech box kit with the canned tune. You'll gain about 100RWHP and it won't hurt the car.

You will have to relax about the warranty though, but hey that's part of hot rodding. I was the same way a year ago and look at me now.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
lol speedy i agree and thats the only reason i said that ...but be honest ... once anyone feels that boost ..... you only want more and more and then alil more and boom bottom end goes ,, then you build the motor and add a lil more booost and boom there gos the tranny ..... then you build it like a beast and then crack there gos the diff .... and you fix that ... along with the shafts cause you know they are next .... and viola .... you just completely rebuilt a 35 thousand dollar car almost from scratch ...... and your warranty .... was out the window .. im fighting my self dailly not to go FI until my car is a lil older ...I just cant justify rebuilding my car yet only had it 4 months

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I have seen a lot of Grand Nationals and other Regals and Park ave's with a blower and lived well past 125k.

Yep forged bottom would be a +, but again, I guess if you have it you use it and then wear is going to happen faster too.

Also a lot more pressure onthe rings and bearings as well.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Having a dealer that will work with you is a plus too! My service manager told me that if the problem is obvious, then there wouldn't be much he could do, but, he would work with me and not "flag" the car just because I have an SC on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts

???????
The 392 hemi engines are not designed to holdup with super chargers installed on them . The rings are set to close to the top of the Pistons . So if you’re looking for a great way to disintegrate your motor that’s the way to do it

The 392 hemi engines are not designed to holdup with super chargers installed on them . The rings are set to close to the top of the Pistons . So if you’re looking for a great way to disintegrate your motor that’s the way to do it
Any type of modification to the motor will void the warranty.

Having a dealer that will work with you is a plus too! My service manager told me that if the problem is obvious, then there wouldn't be much he could do, but, he would work with me and not "flag" the car just because I have an SC on it.
The dealer does not have nothing to do with a factory warranty. Good luck

Dodge will not stand behind their motors they are aware of the problems .

Dodge will not stand behind their motors they are aware of the problems .
Even if the motor let’s go they will blame it on the supercharger no matter what .

A supercharger makes the motor produce more power by increasing the explosion in the cylinders. This will put some added stress on bearings, etc. However the wear won't be such that the motor wears out in any greater amount of time relatively speaking. For example if a normal stock motor would last 200,000 miles adding a supercharger won't make it worn out in 100,000 miles. It doesn't reduce the life by half or anything nutty like that. Just use good synthetic oil to deal with the added heat. This assumes you keep the boost reasonable at 6-7psi and don't drag race every weekend. Drag racing every weekend will put wear even on a stock car.

Not sure on this one, you'd have to check with ATI and get a copy of their warranty statement. I can tell you that the Magnuson warranty only covers repairs that are PROVEN to have been caused by the blower, and then only up to a certain dollar amount. It's more like an insurance policy than a warranty. ATI's may be the same, may not, you'd wanna check with them.

The pistons if the tune isn't right.

If you want to run more than 6-7lbs of boost then the pistons and rods should be upgraded to forged parts.

Depends on where you live.

Supposedly the Magnuson Moss act protects you on the warranty, but if you pop a motor with a blower installed, better be prepared to hire a lawyer if you want a warranty claim to be honored.

I'd normally say search, but superchargers are a bit more complicated to understand the pit falls than a CAI or cat back.
If you install a supercharger on a 392 hemi without changing the pistons you might as well put a hand grenade on top of the motor

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
There is a thread on here somewhere about a person who had their car dyno tuned with a super charger and it had an engine failure on the dyno.

·
Vendor
12,392 Posts
this has been beaten to death, the 6.4 and 5.7 was not designed for boost so trying to hold the manufacturer responsible for engine failures with boost is ridiculous.......

if you do not want you warranty repair denied, DO NOT MODIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the 5.7 is significantly more robust then the 6.4 and will live well with 8 psi of boost

real facts

5.7L 2011 and newer will do very well on 8 psi with good fuel system and tuning,
with good long tubes, not all headers or mids are created equal, if your going thru the expense of adding long tube headers, do good ones, Kooks!!!!
with 8 psi. Kooks long tubes and green catted high flow cats 500whps and 500+ ft/lbs

we have done this repeatedly

6.4L 2011 and newer will live on 6 psi, but requires good tuning, with great tuning and good fuel system, 7 psi which will deliver approx 550whps, with good long tubes and 7 psi approx 580/590whps

anything above that it will go boom

I would bet I can count the number of good Hemi tuners on one hand.......the pcm and software in the FCA vehicles is very very different then GM or Ford,

because the local tune shop does well with those does not mean they can tune a Mopar, and in many case will blow them up

at least once a week someone will reach out to us with a failure, and lately we have fixed a number of them.....few weeks ago a person reached out to us from SC, the tune shop blew up their engine on the dyno, 2019 R/T 5.7

it was all I could do not to laugh when they were telling me that they were assure they could run 10.5 lbs of boost on a completely stock 5.7, to make it worst the shop blame the engine having a prior issue and was recommending he seek help from Dodge, less then a few k's miles on the car

few days ago a prior customer with na engine with cam and headers who had a well known tuner tune his vehicle told me about his broken engine, the remote tuning was inadequate and he suffered multiple piston failures, extreme lean issue and knock, tuner refuse any responsibility

if an engine suffers a failure a year from now, the chance the tuner did a poor tune is unlikely, but when it fails within a few weeks or worst on the dyno, unlikely it was a mechanical failure

the moment you begin to modify and change the horsepower level of any engines or vehicles, longevity will be affected, if the mods are done well, with good parts and professional install and tuning, the risk will be low

I tell customers all the time, you dont have to have a blower to break stuff, the person between the seat and steering wheel can affect the outcome dramatically ( been politically correct here, many idiots behind the wheels )

Luke

·
Registered
776 Posts
Lot of good info here but...

Can these 30 minute old new members stop bumping 10 year old threads lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts