Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
Imaging joining today and spending hours reading threads. You find things you want to reply to...you just weren't here to reply to them when they were new ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
Challenger
13 Posts
this has been beaten to death, the 6.4 and 5.7 was not designed for boost so trying to hold the manufacturer responsible for engine failures with boost is ridiculous.......

if you do not want you warranty repair denied, DO NOT MODIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the 5.7 is significantly more robust then the 6.4 and will live well with 8 psi of boost

real facts

5.7L 2011 and newer will do very well on 8 psi with good fuel system and tuning,
with good long tubes, not all headers or mids are created equal, if your going thru the expense of adding long tube headers, do good ones, Kooks!!!!
with 8 psi. Kooks long tubes and green catted high flow cats 500whps and 500+ ft/lbs

we have done this repeatedly

6.4L 2011 and newer will live on 6 psi, but requires good tuning, with great tuning and good fuel system, 7 psi which will deliver approx 550whps, with good long tubes and 7 psi approx 580/590whps

anything above that it will go boom

I would bet I can count the number of good Hemi tuners on one hand.......the pcm and software in the FCA vehicles is very very different then GM or Ford,

because the local tune shop does well with those does not mean they can tune a Mopar, and in many case will blow them up

at least once a week someone will reach out to us with a failure, and lately we have fixed a number of them.....few weeks ago a person reached out to us from SC, the tune shop blew up their engine on the dyno, 2019 R/T 5.7

it was all I could do not to laugh when they were telling me that they were assure they could run 10.5 lbs of boost on a completely stock 5.7, to make it worst the shop blame the engine having a prior issue and was recommending he seek help from Dodge, less then a few k's miles on the car

few days ago a prior customer with na engine with cam and headers who had a well known tuner tune his vehicle told me about his broken engine, the remote tuning was inadequate and he suffered multiple piston failures, extreme lean issue and knock, tuner refuse any responsibility

if an engine suffers a failure a year from now, the chance the tuner did a poor tune is unlikely, but when it fails within a few weeks or worst on the dyno, unlikely it was a mechanical failure

the moment you begin to modify and change the horsepower level of any engines or vehicles, longevity will be affected, if the mods are done well, with good parts and professional install and tuning, the risk will be low

I tell customers all the time, you dont have to have a blower to break stuff, the person between the seat and steering wheel can affect the outcome dramatically ( been politically correct here, many idiots behind the wheels )

Luke
Hey Luke, I installed your Magnuson SC on my 2015 MT 5.7. Im running the base tune and pulley. What do I need to go up to 8lbs of boost? I don't have any reliable tuners around here. Is there a remote tuner who you suggest?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
You will most likely need an upgraded pump (get the fuel hat tool..makes install way easier) and a 3.2" pulley along with a tune that scales fueling/timing for the added boost. You also may want a more heavy duty tensioner (if the kit did not come with one already) and a belt (K060994 if the kit did not come with that already).

I have used this guy for pulleys as he can make custom sizes. Rule of thumb is for every 0.1" reduction in diameter is roughly 1 PSI increase on the magnuson TVS2300.

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
different pulley, upgraded fuel system, and custom tuning
Luke

·
Registered
47 Posts
24K trouble free 8 PSI supercharged miles on my 3.6. 😀😁

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
24K trouble free 8 PSI supercharged miles on my 3.6. 😀😁
I know it may not be exact, but what was your total outlay to get to 500 RWH? And does that include labor, or did you do some/all of that yourself?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
He stated in another thread that with his SC and all his mods, that's where he stands now, that's why I asked ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
He stated in another thread that with his SC and all his mods, that's where he stands now, that's why I asked ;)

A Guy
250 RWHP gain with 8lbs of boost and some other mods?! Now I want to know what was done?

In the vid below Ripp showed they went from 288rwhp to 423rwhp at ~6500rpm although I did not catch the boost level.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
The Prodigy Twin Turbo setup dynoed at 506 RWHP, and that's on a stock engine :)

A Guy

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
stock internal 5.7L 2011 thru 2018, Magnuson supercharger TVS2300 8 psi and Kooks long tubes, green catted high flow cats, will deliver 500 whps and 500+ ft/lbs
we have done this combination many many times

·
Vendor
12,070 Posts
426 stroker, Ignite 114 with Magnuson 2650

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know it may not be exact, but what was your total outlay to get to 500 RWH? And does that include labor, or did you do some/all of that yourself?

A Guy
A Guy,
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you.

Anyway I would say that I've got close to $8K invested in the supercharger and engine (more in the rest of the car to take advantage of the power). Like I said in another post, I worked with Tidalwave in creating the "kit" so I did get a small break on the price (got the mounting plate for the cost of the material). Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he closed his shop last year. And DTP racing in VA Beach developed a "safe" tune for the kit. That resulted in about 440 RWHP @ 6200 RPM with 8 LBS of boost. Looking at the dyno sheet, if you extrapolated that out to factory redline of 6500, I would have had about 460ish RWHP.

Since then I've tried several different air filters which is very difficult because of the location so I was very limited in size and shape (I'm still working on that one). Added a set of even larger injectors and applied a few other "old school" tricks. Then last year Josh S at HHP tied everything together in a new tune to get the car to where it was then (501 RWHP). This winter he has further refined the tune and when I left the shop Saturday evening and nailed it, I broke 'em loose at the 2-3 shift and the car started getting a little squirrely. BTW, I'm still at 8 LBS of boost. :giggle:

That was a little disconcerting since I wasn't expecting it! :eek::love:

I'm not sure where I am now in terms of exact RWHP now, but but the feel of it, I'm sure Josh found me a few more ponies!

Since my exhaust is now a limiting factor in how much air I can move through the engine; I gave some serious thought to commissioning somebody to make me up a set of 3" diameter primary tubes and converters. Then slapping a take-off 3" exhaust the HHP has laying around on it and steeping the boost up to 12 PSI (the same as RIPP's kit). However I'm not sure the gains would be worth the cost (about $2K) Especially since I will be getting a Hellcat in a couple of years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,789 Posts
Gotcha thanks, approx. $8k + supporting driveline mods, thanks

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,152 Posts
He probably tweaked the cam tables but if all you have is a SC that produces 8lbs boost I still don't see how the 3.6 is getting 500rwhp (means engine is producing +500hp) even if you take it up to 7000rpm? Were the heads ported...are you still running the 2.25" catback exhaust?

·
Registered
47 Posts
ChallyTatum,

Three things that don't lie, the dyno, time slips and yoga pants. :p

Anyway, I can't give away all of my secrets now. :devilish:

However, according to Tidalwave, the pulley set-up gives me 8 lbs and the vacuum/boost gauge I installed agrees with that. But according to the boost gauge function on my Trinity 2 tuner which feeds directly from the OBDII port, I regularly get up to 10 lbs. Also the intercooler helps with the air density and the intercooler cooler that I made can't hurt either. :devilish: Oops, did I say that?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts