Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

On the 09 and newer automatics, we can't turn off the automatic up-shift as the motor approaches redline. When I nail it and the tires break free, the rpm's instantly climb, the computer anticipates hitting redline, and the car automatically shifts.

Then, because of the gear ratio change, the tires grab. When they grab, the rpm's are real low because the car is barely moving and it is now in second gear; and the car bogs down and slowly builds rpm's back up.

Sooo. . .

I have been dreaming of installing a KenneBell 2.8 since I got the car. But I don't want to screw up the "fun" of driving this daily, year round.

My question to you all is this: With the extra power of a blower, how does an automatic car act when the blower kicks in?

For example: If you are in first gear (or probably even second) and you nail it, or even go half throttle, I am expecting that the street tires immediately light up. Then, I'd expect the computer (and the power) to immediately blow you right through second and even third gear. Then what?

Do the tires grab, somewhere along the way? When?

If you instantly find yourself in third gear, and hanging on, then it grabs; what then? Does it pull nicely or does it knock and ping and bog because the rpm's are too low because the car is in third gear but only doing 30mph?

If you back off the pedal slightly, do the tires catch, and then you can give it gas again?

What I'm trying "imagine" is: Since the computer is going to beat me and up-shift before I can feather the throttle, what is driving an automatic with an extra 160hp as an on-off switch going to be like. Is it still at the driver's control, or are you hanging on until you get out of the throttle (which is no fun either).

I want more power, and I want more off-the-line power, and I want a KB 2.8 (the looks do it for me), but I don't want to turn my daily driver into an uncontrollable pain in the butt. (What good is the power if you can never use it because it will put the tires up in smoke every time you use it?)

Even after reading every supercharger post for the past 2 years, I am still learning. All comments welcome. Good comments are great. But, if anyone feels like it made your car too hard to handle, those comments would be even better. If you don't want to say anything "out loud," please PM me, and I will keep it between you and me.

Again, street cars only. Driving on the street. Automatics only because the automatic up-shift is what has me concerned. I will be doing the 8psi on a stock engine, and I am aware of how the Mr. Norm's WOT box changes the partial boost.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I would get a Magna Charger it will make around 450rwhp with good power.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I would get a Magna Charger it will make around 450rwhp with good power.
X2 I am a KB guy , but for the street or just a little fun you can't beat the maggie, plus you can get a warranty
Tout

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
My Vortech is very good for street driving. That is the main reason I went with it. It too will roast the tires from a dead stop but if you are rolling from about 35 to 40 it will hook pretty good. I start getting into my boost at 2800rpm. At3300rpm I am at full boost till it shifts at5850rpm. My wife drives the car local every day when the weather is good. She has dusted off 2 cameros and 3 mustangs. The locals dont mess with her any more.

5,134 Posts
then it grabs
That is the statement that caught me. The "then it grabs" won't happen anymore. With the added power your car will accelerate as the tires begin to grab. Your RPM will remain constant and there will be no bog.

If course, if you nail it in first all hell will break loose -- it will hit second gear then third and the next thing you'll know is you're not spinning anymore, you haven't had any bog, but damn ... you're now moving fast.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Get the KB and WOT BOX, its a daily driver, fun at the track and fun taking the kids to the movies safely. I don't have an auto but as far as a six speed its a pleasure to drive.

You confused me with all the grab bog stuff, tires and tune are a big factor. As far as transmission, we have a member here on CT that ran 10s on a stock transmission with the KB. He had shift and sudden boost issues with the Maggie especially going up hills and later changed to the KB. I don't think the KB made the difference but the tune sure did. Tim from Norms or Adam at ST can help you with your question. They are super friendly and will spend the time helping you make your dream come true.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Give us a call and let us put a maggie on top of your ride. The 8lb kit will put down 485RWHP with 518Ftlbs. Very streetable, Tune included, and easy to install.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have the 6 psi Maggie. Right now, we are having cold weather, (30's) and the cold weather makes a big difference in how this car run's and handles. I've got the F1's and they are not a summer tires. That being said, I don't have any problems with "granny" driving, but if I want to have any fun, it is scary. I nailed it at 60 mph a while back, once it hit, the tires lit up, the back end kicked around. Had to do some fast thinking there. To me, feathering the throttle is hard for me get right. Once you break lose, the rpm's seem to climb instantainiously. Of course, going WOT in first is a no no. You have to be up in the higher rpm's without spinning the tires before you go WOT in second gear. Hope when hot weather gets here again, the traction will get a tad bit better! Don't get me wrong, I love the new found power and love driving car. Everything is stock, except for the SC.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I just don't like the looks of the maggie. I don't like the way the pulley goes through the air intake. When I look at the pictures of the maggie, it looks like a stock engine with a different intake. I have to look hard to see that there is a supercharger there. I've seen the KB in person. When he opened that hood, "Bam! There's a supercharger!" If Maggie (and others also) would go to a rear air intake, so the supercharger was "In your face," for me, then they would be in the running.

Bonez,
How far from the Virginia border and I95 or I85 are you? I would love to come and go for a ride.

Tim,

From reading old posts: With the WOT box; at about 30% throttle you get about 40% boost, and then at about 60% throttle you get 100% boost, correct? Does it still act like an on-off switch or does it act kind of like the boost is always there, and you're simply now driving a car with an extra 160hp?

Can you hook me up with any phone numbers of people that have 2.8's on 09's or newer automatics and live within about 3 hours drive of Richmond, Va? I need to go for a ride in a couple cars that have the KB, with and without the WOT box.

Does Kenne Bell of Mr. Norm's ever have a sale? ;)

I probably will end up with the WOT box, but I want to install the SC without it just so I know what that's like.

Thanks everyone! Keep the comments comming.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Hi All,

On the 09 and newer automatics, we can't turn off the automatic up-shift as the motor approaches redline. When I nail it and the tires break free, the rpm's instantly climb, the computer anticipates hitting redline, and the car automatically shifts.

Then, because of the gear ratio change, the tires grab. When they grab, the rpm's are real low because the car is barely moving and it is now in second gear; and the car bogs down and slowly builds rpm's back up.

Sooo. . .

I have been dreaming of installing a KenneBell 2.8 since I got the car. But I don't want to screw up the "fun" of driving this daily, year round.

My question to you all is this: With the extra power of a blower, how does an automatic car act when the blower kicks in?

For example: If you are in first gear (or probably even second) and you nail it, or even go half throttle, I am expecting that the street tires immediately light up. Then, I'd expect the computer (and the power) to immediately blow you right through second and even third gear. Then what?

Do the tires grab, somewhere along the way? When?

If you instantly find yourself in third gear, and hanging on, then it grabs; what then? Does it pull nicely or does it knock and ping and bog because the rpm's are too low because the car is in third gear but only doing 30mph?

If you back off the pedal slightly, do the tires catch, and then you can give it gas again?

What I'm trying "imagine" is: Since the computer is going to beat me and up-shift before I can feather the throttle, what is driving an automatic with an extra 160hp as an on-off switch going to be like. Is it still at the driver's control, or are you hanging on until you get out of the throttle (which is no fun either).

I want more power, and I want more off-the-line power, and I want a KB 2.8 (the looks do it for me), but I don't want to turn my daily driver into an uncontrollable pain in the butt. (What good is the power if you can never use it because it will put the tires up in smoke every time you use it?)

Even after reading every supercharger post for the past 2 years, I am still learning. All comments welcome. Good comments are great. But, if anyone feels like it made your car too hard to handle, those comments would be even better. If you don't want to say anything "out loud," please PM me, and I will keep it between you and me.

Again, street cars only. Driving on the street. Automatics only because the automatic up-shift is what has me concerned. I will be doing the 8psi on a stock engine, and I am aware of how the Mr. Norm's WOT box changes the partial boost.

Thanks!
Rick S think I met you at the June 2010 Dyno Day in Richmond. I own the silver challenger.

I just bought a Magnum SRT8 and the previous owner had installed a Procharger HO Kit with 6lbs of boost. The Magnum is a daily driver and the car's mannerism in DC's stop and go traffic is perfect. I like the control the procharger gives me over when I go into boost. The fun factor is still there. When you do go into boost the car will light the wheels up, accelerate like crazy and bring a huge smile to your face. You will need new tires!!:)

I know you like the KB but I wouldn't discount the procharger or vortech systems especially if the car is a daily driver. Just a thought. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

Al, right?

We were at the SRT Driving Experience also. Just on different teams.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hmm I think you can cancel auto up shift with predator right?? oh and about the car bogs down on 2nd gear? this is just for your safety, because the car was still slipping at first and not hooking up. Don't go 100% on WOT at first gear, wait till your car hooks up then go 100% and you will see the difference ;).

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm I think you can cancel auto up shift with predator right??
No. Not on 09's and newer. The 09's have a different TCM and Diablosport hasn't been able to figure out the code on them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Bonez,
How far from the Virginia border and I95 or I85 are you? I would love to come and go for a ride.
Looking at Mapquest it looks to be a little over 200 miles from Bristol to my place. (that doesn't sound right to me.)I live in Cookeville, TN. You can search on Mapquest from you specific location. You are welcome to come for a ride. I enjoy showing it off! Once you get a distance, let me know if you'd like to come and we can PM the details.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Tim will do you a good job with the KB, but I've never had anyone ask if my car had a blower on it ;-)

HemiSam

Do they ask you if you can make waffles on that?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Funny stuff!!!

Looks great Sam, joking aside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts