Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I am seriously thinking of getting a supercharger for my 2014 challenger RT classic, and I'm just gonna post these points as a series of bullets.

1. First I want to talk warranty. I have called and talked to Dodge and they said that only problems caused as a result of the supercharger would not be covered by the warranty (the Magnuson-Moss warranty act).

2. I know that all MOPAR parts are fully covered in warranty, and recently I came across a website ( https://www.moparperformanceonline.com/c-412-challenger-superchargers.aspx ) that sells molar products, but they also have superchargers and turbos there as well made by people such as Arrington or STS. I was wondering whether these companies are affiliates with MOPAR and make turbos or superchargers for them?

3. I have read that some supercharger companies like Procharger or Edelbrock claim on their websites that they offer 100,000 mile power train warranties, though Im not exactly sure what that means. I was thinking, does that mean that they would fix anything wrong with the car that happened as a result of their supercharger? If so, then would that mean that the car is still basically warranty covered, in that the dealer is obligated by the Magnuson-Moss act to fix any problem not caused by the part and the supercharger company would cover any problem that was? This is kinda confusing.

4. I know that some dealers or performance shops are better than others about covering warranties. The websites for many of the supercharger companies I've visited say that warranties are usually fine. I live in Atlanta, and assume that a metropolis of our size has at least one person who would be willing to install a supercharger or a turbocharger and cover the cars warranty, though I don't know who or where they are. Maybe there are some other performance enthusiasts who live here that could refer me to places?

5. My car is brand new, has about 1,200 miles on it. I am willing to spend up to $8K on the product and installation.

6. Finally I know that there are many different types of superchargers, like centrifugal, etc. Is there a particular kind that works best with our Challengers?

If someone could break down the whole process to me I would be extremely grateful, as my own automotive knowledge is pretty limited and I'm rather new to the whole modding process. Thanks so much for the help guys!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
My outlook on adding any supercharger is to pretty much accept the fact that failures can happen.

If a failure related to having the S/C does happen, I am not expecting any warranty to cover the damage.

If by some chance damaged components are covered by a warranty, bonus. However realistically you have to expect that repairs will be on your own dime.

With the above approach, one can not really be disappointed or surprised if things go wrong after adding a supercharger.

If the above approach doesn't work for you, maybe supercharging isn't the best direction for you to take.

Reactions: Modern Muscle

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Hi guys,

I am seriously thinking of getting a supercharger for my 2014 challenger RT classic, and I'm just gonna post these points as a series of bullets.

1. First I want to talk warranty. I have called and talked to Dodge and they said that only problems caused as a result of the supercharger would not be covered by the warranty (the Magnuson-Moss warranty act).
True But keep in mind that this would entail the complete motor and drivetrain the most expensive part of the car.
Get rust on the door warranty will cover it, Pop a motor or break an axle your on your own.

2. I know that all MOPAR parts are fully covered in warranty, and recently I came across a website ( https://www.moparperformanceonline.com/c-412-challenger-superchargers.aspx ) that sells molar products, but they also have superchargers and turbos there as well made by people such as Arrington or STS. I was wondering whether these companies are affiliates with MOPAR and make turbos or superchargers for them?
Mopar does not make or sell Turbos or Superchargers for the Modern Hemi, And any Mopar part# thats starts with a P is not covered will have a warranty. Also No aftermarket company can extend Chryslers Warranty to thier products or your vehicle to cover aftermarket work.

3. I have read that some supercharger companies like Procharger or Edelbrock claim on their websites that they offer 100,000 mile power train warranties, though Im not exactly sure what that means. I was thinking, does that mean that they would fix anything wrong with the car that happened as a result of their supercharger? If so, then would that mean that the car is still basically warranty covered, in that the dealer is obligated by the Magnuson-Moss act to fix any problem not caused by the part and the supercharger company would cover any problem that was? This is kinda confusing.
No the Supercharger Compaines are offering is coverage for your Motor only Keep in mind you have to use one of their authorized installers and run the tune that comes with the kit.

4. I know that some dealers or performance shops are better than others about covering warranties. The websites for many of the supercharger companies I've visited say that warranties are usually fine. I live in Atlanta, and assume that a metropolis of our size has at least one person who would be willing to install a supercharger or a turbocharger and cover the cars warranty, though I don't know who or where they are. Maybe there are some other performance enthusiasts who live here that could refer me to places?
Again no aftermarket company or shop is going to cover your cars full warranty Most shops however will cover the work that they do for a certain amount of time and or mileage.

5. My car is brand new, has about 1,200 miles on it. I am willing to spend up to $8K on the product and installation.

You are about 2-3k Short

6. Finally I know that there are many different types of superchargers, like centrifugal, etc. Is there a particular kind that works best with our Challengers?

All the current kits available make about the same power and work very well. Pick the one that you like the best and fits your budget.

If someone could break down the whole process to me I would be extremely grateful, as my own automotive knowledge is pretty limited and I'm rather new to the whole modding process. Thanks so much for the help guys!
On a final note if you can not afford to cover worst case scenario or worried about losing the manufacture warranty do not mod your car.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
On a final note if you can not afford to cover worst case scenario or worried about losing the manufacture warranty do not mod your car.
I couldnt agree more.
Also note, once you get the HP, you need the suporting mods to go along with
your new build. Sticky tires = broken parts x more mods = more Coin. Then do it again until nothing breaks.
FlatTop

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Yea man, any failure of the drive train after a supercharger is installed is going to be blamed on the supercharger, so the warrant is pretty much done at that point, except for body, electronics etc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. So to get it straight, the moparperformanceonline website is not an actual mopar website? I giving Edelbrock a phone call to find out what they cover can't hurt, though it sounds like I might just hVe to settle with the scat pack 3 when it comes out :-(

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys. So to get it straight, the moparperformanceonline website is not an actual mopar website? I giving Edelbrock a phone call to find out what they cover can't hurt, though it sounds like I might just hVe to settle with the scat pack 3 when it comes out :-(
Your going to pay $9k for 58hp? Might I offer you a CAI guarenteed for 10hp for $700? About the same logic.You can do after market Heads and Cam @ about 60hp, for less that $3k. You just need to inform yourself.

·
Banned
553 Posts
You build it, you break it, you bought it. Simple as that. I blew my 2012 392 with a Maggie and the word 'warranty' does not even cross my mind. Some people on here start crying that the 'District Manager' declined their warranty....strap on a pair if you are going to build and take responsibility - not directed at the OP specifically, just the Chally's out there crying over milk they put through a blower.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I found this quote by a Vortech person on a Camaro forum, it sounded very interesting:

"We've got you covered guys! Vortech offers a 3 Year, 36,000 mile powertrain warranty as an option with all of our complete systems purchased and installed through any of our Top Tier Installers. This warranty covers not just the engine, but transmission as well. That way, you can feel completely comfortable supercharging your new Camaro with a Vortech System once it is released."

A supercharger warranty that covered transmission, power train, and motor would seem to cover everything that the dealer could argue was damaged as a result of the supercharger right?

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
A supercharger warranty that covered transmission, power train, and motor would seem to cover everything that the dealer could argue was damaged as a result of the supercharger right?
This is a slippery slope.

Lets say your A/C compressor fails after installing a S/C. Do you think Dodge is going to cover that component under warranty? I would think not, as the belt that drives your blower also drives the car's accessories, and I could see dodge saying no way to the warranty claim because of that.

Reactions: RoostKing

·
Registered
883 Posts
No, edelbrock has an extended warranty that covers drivetrain too!!! I think lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Yes I have the Eforce and it covers engine and drivetrain for up to 100k miles. I paid $7700 installed by an authorized installer and am making 543 rwhp. The warranty cost me
$275 bucks for 3/36k miles and covers 6k in engine, $2500 for tran and $1500 for axles And drive line. Granted the tune is pretty conservative but if you're made out of money then boost her. I'm running 6 pounds of boost. And I did not do the pistons. I figure if it blows I'll take the 6k and forge and go from there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Streetrod, is the transmission covered as well as part of the drivetrain warranty by the E-force? I get a little confused at times by the difference b/w "drivetrain" and "powertrain"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts